Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Vacation read recs? Just finished finals, heading out for a few weeks. Looking for something clever/fun. Haven't read a thriller in a few years. Ideas?

^^ If you're into spy fiction, I've been really digging on Daniel Silva. IMO, he's as good as Clancy (though without the historical background) and more mature than Vince Flynn. Personally, I'd start with The Kill Artist, which is the first of the Gabriel Allon series. But it's not exactly a "thriller."

ETA: Oops, forgot I mentioned this on the first page already.

For "mountain-lifestyle" books, I really liked Forget Me Not, by Jenni Lowe-Anchor. Details her life with Alex Lowe. Also greatly enjoyed This Game of Ghosts by Joe Simpson. Same guy who wrote Touching the Void, but it's more of a memoir chronicling his life rather than a specific experience. Crazy stuff.

For other wilderness books: Kabloona in the Yellow Kayak, Malamute Man, .... drawing a blank on some others. Will update later.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 05-16-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by nateski View Post
    the elegant universe, by brian greene. all about string/ m theory. very fascinating stuff, written in a (for the most part) easy to understand conversational style.
    i now want to read something a bit newer on the subject, see what the latest devrlopments are.
    I read "The Fabric of the Cosmos" - though I haven't read "The Elegant Universe" - and it was great, five years more recent than EU. Though he also has an even newer one, "The Hidden Reality." http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Reality...7199280&sr=1-1

Cant remember if I recommended these or not yet

Power of One - Bryce Courtenay
    American Gods - Neil Gaiman
    A River Runs Through It - Norman Mclean
    Starship Troopers - Robert Heinlein
    Where Men Win Glory - Krakauer

the sigma force series by james rollins is pretty awesome reading...
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by BraddA View Post
    Vacation read recs? Just finished finals, heading out for a few weeks. Looking for something clever/fun. Haven't read a thriller in a few years. Ideas?
    I'm reading "11/22/63" by Stephen King right now and it's great (if you can overlook a glaring plot hole). Really compelling and well written.

(I'm not a huge King fan by any stretch and haven't read anything by him in over 20 years, FWIW.)

I just knocked out Andrew Vachss' The Getaway Man in a week. Great little noir novel with definite odes to Jim Thompson.

Currently reading Smonk, a bugged out western with a bizarre and twisted sense of humor, by Tom Franklin (his book of short stories, Poacher, is also worth a gander).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Peter Bergen’s Manhunt: The Decade-Long Hunt for Osama bin Laden

a little redundant but a great read.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

looking for a good hemingway bio. the new-ish "hemingways boat" looks pretty interesting. anyone?

Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates - Tom Robbins

Not new but an amazingly descriptive tale that is unpredictable. Includes S American shaman magic, washed up USA spy, sex with a nun in the middle east, and grandma's parrot. Unreal story. And almost anything else by Tom Robbins is good

If you are PNW a great read is
    A year of broken glass - joe denham
    A tale set in present time of a fisherman who finds a glass Japanese fishing float. And all the events after. Fantasy but really really good

Also for you Canadians (esp. Sunshine coasters and islanders)
    The above is great but also try. Very entertaining
    Adventures in Solitude: What Not to Wear to a Nude Potluck and Other Stories from Desolation Sound - Grant Lawrence

+1 -sex drugs cocoa puffs - chuck closterman
    +1 -golden spruce

If you're into surf reading, don't get "the lost coast". it's a collection of mediocre short stories.

get West of Jesus
    or Caught Inside instead.

or just watch endless summer a few more times.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mobygrape View Post
    If you're into surf reading, don't get "the lost coast". it's a collection of mediocre short stories.

get West of Jesus
    or Caught Inside instead.

or just watch endless summer a few more times.
    "all for a few perfect waves" is an interesting surf-bio, about an interesting character.

where does one start with charles bukowski? randomly picked up a book of his poetry at the book store recently and really liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by nateski View Post
    where does one start with charles bukowski? randomly picked up a book of his poetry at the book store recently and really liked it.
    I've read "post office" and "factotum" and they're both more or less the same, from what I remember. Get drunk; have sloppy sex; drink more; go to work or not; drink more. Repeat for 200 pages.

City of Thieves. quick easy good read.

The Beautiful and Damned - F. Scott Fitzgerald.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen - Christopher McDougall

Anybody read Ghost Wars? Just started reading it today and cant put it down... read 80 pages this afternoon. Even though it goes into much detail and deals with lots of names and detail, it's not dry nor boring at all which kinda surprised me. So far I'm quite enjoying it and would recommend it if you're a history buff.
    パウダーバカ!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    "all for a few perfect waves" is an interesting surf-bio, about an interesting character.
    Erections, Ejaculations and Other Tales of Ordinary Madness

Love is a Dog from Hell

Women

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    The Heart of the Fire
    by Cerridwen Fallingstar

This one is not for the faint of heart, seriously, I had what seemed like a heart attack while reading it. It is, at times, almost unbearably intense.

It recounts the perspective of a young witch in early 17th century Scotland during the witch hunts, revealing a hidden world of earth based religion and magic, it will cause your nape hairs to rise.

It becomes evident that the author considers these to be memories from a past life where she was ultimately burned at the stake. Very rich imagery, highly erotic, and at times horrifying, it is ultimately fascinating.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Quote Originally Posted by ms ann thrope View Post
    Erections, Ejaculations and Other Tales of Ordinary Madness

Love is a Dog from Hell

Women
    How odd. I could have sworn I was responding to the What Bukowski Should I Read post. My thumbs need to go on a diet.

"Unbroken" - Read it.

and I'm sure I've thrown this one out on here before, but "The Heart of the Sea" - the true story of the Essex - is a must read too.

Quote Originally Posted by Knockneed Man View Post
    "Unbroken" - Read it.
    That book was really good, and an incredible story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksyrium View Post
    That book was really good, and an incredible story.
    Searched Unbroken and there seems to be several books with the same title. Considering you said it's an incredible story I'm guessing it's Zamperini's and his story as a Japanese POW? Will check it out. Thanks!
    パウダーバカ!!

I'd highly recommend.a.book called ''The Incantation of Frida K''. It's a very powerful but poetically-written book. See my recent thread about it in this forum for an excerpt.

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."