Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    currently reading "The Devil in the White City' by Erik Larson.
    anybody? i fucking love this book.
    historical crime drama situated in late nineteenth century Chicago.
    read it now!
    '

I loved it. Been meaning to read his other books.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    They are pretty much the same - or at least "In the Garden of Beasts" and "Thunderstruck" were. buildup, background, anti-climax, fadeout. interesting anecdotes, definitely some things he missed and tries to make important.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    '

i should have read this thread from the start, doh!
    yeah, i'm loving it.
    crab in my shoe mouth

There's a separate thread about it somewhere, but I'm just finishing up "Among the Thugs" by Bill Buford. His account of soccer hooligans - pretty entertaining.

shantaram by gregory david roberts. Probably in this thread already, I read it at like 200 pages/day. Awesome book.

"Taxi" by Khaled Al Khamissi

Fell off shelf into my lap sitting near the wood stove...
    Tony Danza and Danny DeVito don't make any appearances...it's a good book anyway..

Tales of "modern" Egypt through the eyes of mouths of numerous Taxi drivers in and around Cairo....it was risky to have this published. Good flow...if you wanna learn a bit of real life in Egypt, or just need something to pass the time...

Sci Fi - In Her Name. Michael R Hicks.

6 books - You should read them because they're very good.

Oh and triple thumbs up for Shantaram too. Just don't google the bloke until you've read it.

blood fued by kathleen sharp.. very good and experienced author, her primary job is a reporter... the books theme is how johnson&johnson and amgen ignored their own safety warnings as well as the fda regulations and hurt/killed many patients by the overuse of one of their hugely profitable drugs.... told mainly from the viewpoint of one of the drug reps/salesmen, and how his life changed radically, and how he tried to redress injustice through the courts..... it reads like a thriller, very well paced , with plenty of specific details about how drug companies distort the marketplace with corrupt and dangerous practices.
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Vertical, Rex Pickett's follow up to Sideways, is damn funny. Quick read.

The Prohet, Khalil Gibran - A poet and philosopher writing on life. Written as a series of answers to lifes issues. Very nice and surprisingly light read.

Don Juan series, Carlos Castaneda - A series describing what starts off as anthropologist Carlos' interest in Yaqui indian mysticism but soon becomes a description of his apprenticeship to 'man of power' Don Juan. It raised questions about our normal truths, attitudes and manner of living, a most mushroom book.

Three cups of tea, Greg Mortenson - Wonderful story of mountaineer turned humanitarian getting to know the balti people living high in northern Pakistan. Learning their cultures and embracing their way of life.

Hugh Conway Guest
    3 cups of tea is up there with 3 pieces of feces or whatever that piece of fiction was

I just finished "Iron Coffins", autobiography of one of very few surviving German U-boats Captains. Good read, really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
    Three cups of tea, Greg Mortenson - Wonderful story of mountaineer turned humanitarian getting to know the balti people living high in northern Pakistan. Learning their cultures and embracing their way of life.
    make sure you read 3 cups of deceit shortly after by krakauer

If you read no other book for the rest of your life, then you can't really go wrong, in my opinion, with Ishmael by Daniel Quinn.

It's one of those books that you will remember for a very long time.

I'd put it up there with the Prophet, as a must read.

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

i would suggest you read Match me if you can, One Day .Both are best selling novels.You will not be disappointed .

Quote Originally Posted by Ksyrium View Post
    make sure you read 3 cups of deceit shortly after by krakauer
    I read 3 Cups of Tea shortly after it came out, and then taught it the next year to my students out here. Loved the book, but was bummed about all the controversy surrounding it. I haven't read Krakauer's rebuttal to it, but have picked it up and it's waiting in line with several others. Speaking of Krakauer, I absolutely loved reading Into Thin Air. That was such an exhilarating read!!

I have recently read The Hunger Games and really enjoyed it. Thinking about using it at the JHS level. I heard it was made into a movie maybe?

Currently reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and am enjoying the novel, but hating how bad the translator/proofreader was - it's like reading my student's essays. Other than that petty criticism, I am enjoying the story and picked up the rest of the Millennium Trilogy to continue the story. Again, I think this was made into a movie, too? It's embarrassing that I couldn't even tell you what's playing in the theater.

Also picked up Captain Corelli's Mandolin and Midnight's Children as a mate highly recommended them. Have any of you read them?
    パウダーバカ!!

Going to finish Stones into Schools before I taint my view of Greg Mortenson with Krakauer's book.

Ishmael is on the list. I look forward to it, currently enjoying flirting with the idea of reading it soon.

Just finished The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov - A parable on power, corruption, good, evil, human frailty and the strength of love. A satirical fantastical fable of sorts.

Something a little different for me, that I am having fun with at the moment, is The Sandman - Neil Gaiman. It is a graphic novel series and I'm somewhere in the 3rd Vol. I can't begin to convey what it is like, other than I can't stop going back to it for more.

Alaskan Rover is right, I am only about 50 pages into Ishmael, but it is fascinating and makes you think. On the cover, from memory, there is a quote that says something to the effect of "I will remember books now by what I read before Ishmael, and after Ishmael" and I wholeheartedly agree. It is outstanding so far.

I finished up the Millennium Series and loved the third book the best. The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest was so fascinating and I really enjoyed how it got into the Sweedish law system - something I know nothing about. Very good series, long but interesting and fast read.
    パウダーバカ!!

Just finished Nicholas and Alexandra last night. It's a thick-assed volume, but very compelling reading even if you already know a lot about that period of Russian history.

the elegant universe, by brian greene. all about string/ m theory. very fascinating stuff, written in a (for the most part) easy to understand conversational style.
    i now want to read something a bit newer on the subject, see what the latest devrlopments are.

devil all the time by Donald Ray Pollock was really good. definitely not a pick me upper kind of book.

I am almost through with Jumping Fire by Murry Taylor and it is pretty good.

Recs on any books like this but maybe without the weaving of romantic shit into a book about doing dangerous hard work.
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

anyone reading the hunger games trilogy? not exactly great literature, but a fast enjoyable read that holds your (my) attention.
    "he doesn't know to behold what the cold frost can do..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Just finished Nicholas and Alexandra last night. It's a thick-assed volume, but very compelling reading even if you already know a lot about that period of Russian history.
    By Massey? He's awesome--his bio of Peter the Great and "Castles of Steel" (completely diff. subject--WWI naval warfare) are both great. Recently picked up his Catherine bio, but haven't got to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by nateski View Post
    anyone reading the hunger games trilogy? not exactly great literature, but a fast enjoyable read that holds your (my) attention.
    Finished the first one over the weekend; enjoyed it, but debating whether further reading is merited. More killing/dystopia, please, less teen-age love angst. Anyone?