Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    i've been getting into my kindle a lot lately...

unbroken - super good. this will be a movie in no time.

psychopath test - super interesting. makes you wonder how many are on tgr.

inside scientology - fascinating history of l. ron hubbard and how he formed scientology.

the year of living bibically - interesting and funny account of a guy who tries to adhere to the bible literally in every detail.

I VERY highly recommend the following book. It is one of those books that will remain with you for a very long time.

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

Here's a the first part of a review for it. You can google up many more.

A Review of "Ishmael", By Daniel Quinn

"I first read Ishmael, by Daniel Quinn, after giving it to my sister as a birthday present. Actually, I read it before she did. I was impressed, and told her it was an incredible book. She read it, and agreed with me completely. A short time later, with my sister's permission, I loaned it to a favorite teacher of mine. She read it, and promptly ordered 30 copies for her classes to read. My "Literature of The Third World" class read it, and spent just about the rest of the year in discussion of it. Ishmael has an effect on people. It makes them think about the way they live their lives and how their society functions, and it makes them question.

As Ishmael opens, the author writes of a day in his life when he found what he thought a truly ludicrous advertisement in the personals section of a newspaper:

TEACHER seeks pupil. Must have an earnest desire to save the world. Apply in person.

This book won't let you down.

Other books I highly recommend are:

The Kite Runner

Seven Years in Tibet

The Life of Pi

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

now the time turn on to the future ...i like the book revolution of 2020.........

Quote Originally Posted by nogophers View Post
    Halfway through Unbroken. Can't wait to read more.

I liked Lone Survivor, except that certain parts got kinda political. Wish he would have kept that out, but that's his prerogative and right.

Anything by Jonathan Safran Foer is worth while.
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

if you havent read the sun also rises recently, well, you should
    "he doesn't know to behold what the cold frost can do..."

The Folly of Fools: The Logic of Deceit and Self-Deception in Human Life by Robert Trivers.... the review blurb from Discover mag is accurate..“Weaving together examples from biology, psychology, history, and immunology, evolutionary theorist Robert Trivers argues that we deceive ourselves in order to better deceive others, and do so in order to survive, procreate, and generally get ahead…. [A] thoroughly researched, thought-provoking read.”.....but doesn't hint at the many examples of Trivers arguments and assumptions..... well worth reading, if only to more thoroughly understand shitbrains like DBT, Jer, et al.
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

The Golden Spruce: a true sorry of myth, madness, and greed by John Vaillant.

Absolutely fantastic read for anyone even mildly interested in the wild and forests of north america and how they are being managed

http://www.randomhouse.ca/catalog/di...=9780676976458

Zone One by Colson Whitehead. Post-apocolyptic, zombie-filled book. Not very good character development, but a fun read nonetheless.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zone1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	106976

Everybody should read Ishmael at least once.

Just got on the list for Unbroken at the Library. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I've been stuck trying to finish McSweeney's Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales for the past several months. I love me some short story collections, but for some reason, lately, they all seem to end the collection with a really long, boring story that's near impossible to finish. This is a trend that needs to stop (at least stick the long, boring story in the middle so you have some good ones before and after it. Sticking it at the end just leaves you unmotivated to finish the collection).

That said, in the interim I've read The Award-Winning Sage of The Swamp Thing (an old 1982 compendium of the first 3 issues of the classic series by Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson) and just started How To Lose Friends & Alienate People. The latter is in stark contrast to all the seemingly important, philosophical books y'all have been recommending as it's about an obnoxious British journalist whose main goal in life is to be a starf@#ker fan boy. To wit, however, it's well-written and engaging, even if the subject matter is shallow.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I'm reading an oldie right now I've been meaning to read for a long time "On the Beach" by Nevil Shute. The premise is that a nuclear war has destroyed the northern hemisphere and the only people left alive are those in places like Australia, South Africa and South America. However, the radiation cloud is slowly making its way south and even in Melbourne (where the book takes place) they know they only have a few months left before they also will die. The main characters are an Australian naval officer, an American submarine captain who's crew survived by being underway when war broke out, and an Australian girl who becomes the sub captain's love interest. I have to say I've been totally engrossed. It was made into a movie in the late '50s that some of you have probably seen.

Classics...Finally read "The Count of Monte Cristo" (free download on my ipad). A prison break AND revenge? How could one go wrong? Slow in parts, but most of it was great.

i just finished "boomerang" by michael lewis. it has the same financial/economic meltdown theme as his book "the big short", but this book is shorter, 5 chapters, and the 1st 4 chapters deal with a country (iceland, greece, ireland, germany). the 5th is about california. if you thought the big short was worth reading ( as i did) you will feel the same about this one.

i grew up on Stephen King. have not read anything from him since Rose Madder which was awful. i am however, very much enjoying 11/22/63. total page turner. can't wait to find out what the 'jimla' is.
    i just added 'Hitler's Hangman the life of Heydrich' to my kindle.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I'm reading an oldie right now I've been meaning to read for a long time "On the Beach" by Nevil Shute. The premise is that a nuclear war has destroyed the northern hemisphere and the only people left alive are those in places like Australia, South Africa and South America. However, the radiation cloud is slowly making its way south and even in Melbourne (where the book takes place) they know they only have a few months left before they also will die. The main characters are an Australian naval officer, an American submarine captain who's crew survived by being underway when war broke out, and an Australian girl who becomes the sub captain's love interest. I have to say I've been totally engrossed. It was made into a movie in the late '50s that some of you have probably seen.
    That was a decent movie...
    AD, you may want to read ken jennings new book .."maphead"...
    map fascination/addiction and gps related activities .. national geograpic quiz.. lots of antecdotes.. well worth the time... and i notice another jeopardy online test this month, you taking it?

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    i grew up on Stephen King. have not read anything from him since Rose Madder which was awful. i am however, very much enjoying 11/22/63. total page turner. can't wait to find out what the 'jimla' is.
    i just added 'Hitler's Hangman the life of Heydrich' to my kindle.
    i used to read tons of stephen king. i never really thought he was a great writer, but formulaic yet still enjoyable for what he did. easy to read and still effective. i got kind of bored with it. somebody gave me "on writing" for xmas so it's been interesting to revisit him and read about his progression in writing.

Jerusalem, the biography , big book, 500 plus. but worth it. big epic historical drama. quick read.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    i used to read tons of stephen king. i never really thought he was a great writer, but formulaic yet still enjoyable for what he did. easy to read and still effective. i got kind of bored with it. somebody gave me "on writing" for xmas so it's been interesting to revisit him and read about his progression in writing.
    yep, my views changed when i read "on writing" as well. gained a bit of respect for the guy after reading about him back in the early days, sitting in the closet next to the hot water heater, typewriter on his lap, typing away into the night.

yeah. i haven't read anything from him in so long. i'm really liking 11/22/63. if you have not read him in awhile, it's classic Stephen King. right down to the Rolling Stones and Plymouth Fury's.
    crab in my shoe mouth

currently reading "The Devil in the White City' by Erik Larson.
    anybody? i fucking love this book.
    historical crime drama situated in late nineteenth century Chicago.
    read it now!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    currently reading "The Devil in the White City' by Erik Larson.
    anybody? i fucking love this book.
    It's been a few years, but my recollection is it started out great, but sort of lost momentum toward the end. This probably had more to do with my interests than anything, though. I thought the stuff dealing with planning and designing the Fair was more interesting than the crime part.

Quote Originally Posted by up an down View Post
    and i notice another jeopardy online test this month, you taking it?
    I'm not eligible since I'm in the contestant pool for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I'm not eligible since I'm in the contestant pool for this season.

good luck!. let us know if you get a call