Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Have had a good run of solid reads over the past week:

THE HOT ROCK (1970) - Donald E. Westlake
    Have seen the Robert Redford starring film a few times, but the source material is way more absurd and brilliant.

TIETAM BROWN (2003) - Mick Foley
    Former wrestling superstar's first novel is a fantastic coming-of-age drama teeming with eccentric touches and some dark undertones. Foley's easy going writing style reminds me of Willy Vlautin.

GOLDEN STATE (2019) - Ben H. Winters
    A dystopian tech noir owing debts to Orwell, Dick, Pynchon, and Ellison.

SAVAGE NIGHT (1953) - Jim Thompson
    A psychotic paranoir that ticks off all the standard pulp fiction bullet points ( femme fatales, shady gangsters, violence, etc), but tosses in plenty of wicked happenings and a deranged protagonist/antagonist for good measure.
    being a movie buff, you probably know that the film Coup de Torchon is based on Jim Thompson's Pop 1080. All his stuff is great. I've been reading some Westlake lately, too--funny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by spanghew View Post
    being a movie buff, you probably know that the film Coup de Torchon is based on Jim Thompson's Pop 1080. All his stuff is great. I've been reading some Westlake lately, too--funny stuff.
    I actually didn't know that until I spiraled down the Jim Thomson InterWebz rabbit hole after reading Savage Night.
    I read Pop. 1280 years ago, though.
    Cannot find Coup de Torchon streaming anywhere and it is not available via NF DVD, either.
    Funny that so few of Thompson's works have been turned into films....though the ones that have, which I have seen, have been solid: After Dark, My Sweet and The Grifters, specifically.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    It's 272 pages. Got it yesterday morning on Kindle and finished it up by dinner time. It's one of the best books I've read.
    ^^started reading Piranesi yesterday evening and I'm over 100 pages in now. If I didn't have stuff to do I would have finished it by now. Really an incredible book - somewhat reminiscent of Mark Danielewski's House of Leaves. I'll share more thoughts when I finish.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

just finished Piranesi. i thought it was incredible. the parallels to House of Leaves are striking - if you like Piranesi and enjoy horror, you should read HoL. HoL is like Piranesi but a million times scarier and weirder. it's also a blast to read. get it in print though, not on kindle. here is an example page from it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HouseOfLeavesSpread.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	328.8 KB 
ID:	342546

it seems crazy - and it is - but part of the experience of reading the book is a descent into madness. by the time you get to sections like the one i posted above, it'll make sense.

one more plug for this book though, because i can't recommend it strongly enough. one of the most important books i've ever read:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the-overstory.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	651.3 KB 
ID:	342547

Received notice last week from Green Apple Books (https://www.greenapplebooks.com/) that READY PLAYER TWO drops in November...

I started Piranesi last night. It won’t take too long. This is next. Just arrived today:

As somebody with a masters in forestry that grew up in the bay area, I thought Overstory was a slog all around

I recommend reading books by Daniel Keyes. They are very interesting, not trivial. A bit of fantasy, intense plot. Read in one breath. If you love adventure novels, then definitely Jules Verne and Alexandre Dumas.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by m8fd18 View Post
    [FONT="]I recommend you read
    Michael Dadson 's books.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT="]He specifically deals with all
    the psychology of a human being.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT="]I've even read
    books and journals.
    [/FONT]

He has published several articles on the treatment and effects of trauma in academic journals and professional magazines. He has published 9 articles and presented over 40 papers, workshops, and posters at professional and community events. Dr. Dadson served as an Adjunct Professor at the University of British Columbia and an advisor to the Centre for Group Counselling and Trauma from 2014 -2018.
    Yo jong that shits unreadable on the blue screen
    I just finish Harrison's brown dog last week
    And started chief Joseph's and the nez perce war
    I will fight no more forever
    They got manifest destiny shafted hard
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

In The Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick

My hold on David Mitchell's latest novel Utopia Avenue just came through, although I haven't started the book yet. His writing has been somewhat hit or miss for me. I've loved some (Cloud Atlas, for example) and others have been a bit meh. Overall he's still one of my favorite current authors.

Educated, 2018.
    A memoir or a Mormon girl named Tara Westover
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Educated, 2018.
    A memoir or a Mormon girl named Tara Westover
    If you enjoyed that one check out “Pilgrim’s Wilderness” - somewhat similar story from Alaska.

“The bizarre and tragic true story that unfolds in the pages of this extraordinary book is like nothing else I have ever read. Through prodigious research, blending compassion with investigative skill, Tom Kizzia has woven a mythic tale out of that most mythic of American landscapes – Alaska.”
    –David Roberts, author of Alone on the Ice and Mountain of My Fear

Read a couple good ones by Ann Patchett lately: State of Wonder and The Dutch House. She's a great writer.

The Dutch House I listened to as an audiobook. It's read by Tom Hanks and he does an excellent job, as you would expect.

I just read the first chapter of 2020, the comic series by Jamie Delano.

Man, it is creepy. It was first published in 1997 and details a deadly pandemic with no cure, rich people living lavish and the poor and middle class struggling under an oppressive government that values consumerism over humanism.

Interersted to see where chapters 2, 3, and 4 go (it was initially a 12-issue comic book series with each "chapter" being 3 issues long and illustrated by a different artist. It was eventually collected into TPB).

Delano is one of the 1980's "British Invasion" comic book writers (along with Garth Ennis, Neil Gaimon, Alan Moore, Peter Milligan, Warren Ellis, and others).

now about 1/2 way through english creek REALLY ejoying it. best news is there is a sequel!
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    now about 1/2 way through english creek REALLY ejoying it. best news is there is a sequel!
    Yeah that's a good one. The sequel is actually a prequal and it's also excellent--about a very interesting time in Montana history that's often overlooked. The third book in the trilogy is set in modern day and I would probably say it was not my favorite, but certainly still worth reading if you've read the first two. Enjoy!

Moonshine thread reminded me.

Name:  Image1606169519.050568.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  57.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Moonshine thread reminded me.

Name:  Image1606169519.050568.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  57.4 KB
    This was an interesting read:

Tender is the Flesh by Augustina Bazterrica... Not recommended if you are squeamish
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Mark Kurlansky has a good new one out "Salmon" that I just finished
    like all of his other books a good blend of naturalist, history, geography
    lots of excellent pictures in this one too
    skid luxury

RIP William Kittredge. He died Friday at age 88. I had a bunch of writing workshops with him at the University of Montana and also a few conversations in the bars around town. Good guy who had a lot of influence on a lot of Western writers.

https://missoulian.com/news/local/au...257b5ca44.html

Time for a new book - any suggestions?

Bump, just finished The North Water, that’s a quick and fierce read. What’s next?
    crab in my shoe mouth

“Metazoa” by Godfrey-Smith is pretty good so far. His last book, “Other Minds” was very good.

Name:  Pocket Constitution.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  18.0 KB

This one is arguably better, but pricey, and maybe hard to come by. I found a copy at the library.
    Last edited by fomofo; 01-05-2021 at 08:58 PM. Reason: updated info