lockable fork mount adapter for disc?

i have fork mounts on my roof rack and am considering a 29er purchase with disc brakes, but i can't find a lockable adapter -- does such a thing exist?

thanks for any help!

Having disc brakes doesn't change the way your wheel mounts to your fork.

with the adapters I've found, you connect with your quick release and the adapter itself gets locked into the jaws of the fork mount...which leaves the bike easy to take

seems the hurricane adapter does this too (unless i'm missing something)?
    i sent them an email to ask (so thanks for that link!)

thanks for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Having disc brakes doesn't change the way your wheel mounts to your fork.
    i read suggestions to cut the tray to make clearances work out with hydro brake setups; that or use an adapter

just trying to figure out what's going to work out best...

thanks

If you find one, post it here and many will buy. Somone who is talented, there is money to be made here.

Either modify your existing rack with the dremel or buy a new one. 40 for an adapter then however much more for it to lock just seems like your throwing money at a pain in the ass. If you still insist on using an adapter they also sell these sweet things called cable locks. Yeah crazy i know, they enable you to lock things such as bikes to other things such as racks.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

What kind of adapter are you looking for here? I'm confused.

If you have a regular Q/R 9mm fork, both Yakima and Thule make lockable fork mount racks. Neither are particularly secure; I'd use a cable lock with either one -- and cables aren't that secure either.

If you have a 15mm Q/R, 20mm T/A, or some weird variant (Maverick, Specialized, whatever), IMHO don't mess with a fork-mount rack, and use an upright rack. Then cable lock the entire bike to the vehicle.

If this is just because you have old rack trays that interfere with the disc brake mount, do what I did: remove tray from rack, crush it slowly in a soft-jaw vise until you have clearance for the disc brake mount, reinstall.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Get a rack where you don't take the wheel off.
    Disc brakes won't affect your fork mount, since it's not on the QR. If it's a 20mm TA, well, I still don't like the racks where you have to take the wheel off, that's fucking useless. Your height clearance is about the same (think seat post and saddle) and you get an extra bike wheel, now 3 inches larger, to deal with.
    And you gain what? Nothing.
    Don't say stability, I drove across the damn country with a Thule Big Mouth, and my bike wobbling a little on top.

If I'm missing something, please enlighten me.

And to answer your question, no, such a thing does not exist because there is no need for it. Like a fridge in an igloo.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    i have fork mounts on my roof rack and am considering a 29er purchase with disc brakes, but i can't find a lockable adapter -- does such a thing exist?

thanks for any help!

step 1-read your original post

step 2-realise it doesn't really make sense

step 3-re-post

I have written an example here for you-

'Hi, I am buying a new bike that is quite expensive and want to secure it to my current roof mounted bike rack.It is a rack where you remove the front wheel and secure the bike via the front axle. I am wondering if there is a locking adapter to lock the axle to the rack so thieving cunts don't take my bike?(although they probably won't as it has 29inch wheels)'

I am sure the above writing is not perfect, but you get the idea...

Robstokes, thx for the time it took you to post. My search for help is now much clearer with your investment of time and thought in my thread

Sounds like the tray cut (or mash) is the way to go

i have several bikes that use disc brakes and fit the old style trays without issue, and others that don't, if not just do the mash or cut or get a new tray, but as mentioned consider an upright one. Thule sidearm or whatever its called is the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Get a rack where you don't take the wheel off.
    Disc brakes won't affect your fork mount, since it's not on the QR. If it's a 20mm TA, well, I still don't like the racks where you have to take the wheel off, that's fucking useless. Your height clearance is about the same (think seat post and saddle) and you get an extra bike wheel, now 3 inches larger, to deal with.
    And you gain what? Nothing.
    Don't say stability, I drove across the damn country with a Thule Big Mouth, and my bike wobbling a little on top.

If I'm missing something, please enlighten me.

And to answer your question, no, such a thing does not exist because there is no need for it. Like a fridge in an igloo.
    Do this. Fork mounts suck to use and stress the components (9mm type). I have three roof mounted fork mounts and I use a hitch mounted rack 95% of the time. It is easier, faster, more secure (lock to vehicle frame instead of cheesy rack), and more aerodynamic. No more garage door issues. Plus the new axle types are strong but a pain to remove. I am more likely to use my motorcycle trailer with tie downs than use a roof mounted system. The trailer also has a lot of room for gear and beer coolers.