Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sooo? What's Your "Skiing Mecca"???

When I began skiing in 1960 in Vermont, the 'Mecca' of skiing for me and many others there, was Tuckerman's Ravine on Mt Washington. Went there in the spring of 1963. Unfortunately, Tuckerman's was unskiable that day due to solid ice, but "Hillman's Highway was pretty good, so we skied it that day.

Then, thanks to the movies of John Jay and Warren 'The Man' Miller, Aspen became a 'Mecca' for me. I had to get there, and soon! So, in 1965 I packed up a '56' VW Bug with all my ski stuff and headed west. When I got there, there were only a half a dozen paved streets in town, and I didn't leave for 14 years. Sigh, It had turned into "Tinsel Town",..."Fat City",... Man what changes I saw! No offense, but 'for me', I'd had the best of it?

Sooo, Is there a "Skiing Mecca" for you? Somewhere, a "holy Grail" turn on? A place or a skiing adventure you really, really want to have or be, before the grimreaper punches your ticket? Please tell us what it is, and, perhaps, tell us why it is, 'the 'Mecca" for you. Let's see what you got, and where your dreams can take us.

I dislike too many rules, but how about only one "Mecca" per post? And, post pics if U got Um...

Thanks in advance,

Cheers
    "People ask us to take them skiing, and I'm like, 'REALLY'? I mean if you want to get in an avalanche or just die somehow, then, YEAH, come with US!" - Nathan Wallace

Beaver and Beyond Beaver at Jay Peak. Haven't skied back east in a while, but there are some fond memories of this place.

mt. baker. haven't been there, but it looks like one of the most fun places to ride a snowboard, ever. pillows galore. hell anywhere in the pnw is probably where i want to be.

Awesome thread.

I could make a long list since I've only skied in the immediate vicinity for so long. Lots of "classic" mountains I'd like to hit, like Sun Valley, Whistler, Squaw, etc.

After years and years and living only 3 hrs away I finally skied the Aspen mountains (minus BM) two seasons ago and loved it. Past the mountains (which were good to great), my eyes almost fell out of my head looking at the seemingly endless backcountry surrounding. You could spend a lifetime exploring around there (as many mags I see on here do). So maybe the Roaring Fork valley up to Aspen? Cliche, but that'd be my vote.

Tuck's was mine as well growing up...skied there when I was 7 years old way back in 1985 .

Was still my Mecca until the end of high school or so, and will always be special to me.

Now, that I am old and looking for the next "great place", I am going to call AK my Mecca.

I will have to put a TR up after visiting said Mecca in March,
    You should have been here yesterday!

1st trip to Tuckerman is on my bucket list for this year but I'm really geared up for Summit at Snoqualmie and Alpental. Got my 1st ever season pass, new lifts at Summit East opening up the back country to my old legs and a free guest room/hot tub 200 yards from the lift.

This is my Mecca. This picture is the closest I've been to making it there. One day hopefully soon.

dumb fucking thread: whistler /end
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

gunit130 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    dumb fucking thread: whistler /end
    whatever dude. you live in Minnesota.

Don't mean to say Lutsen Mountain?

Ya, thanks for reminding me. I have lived elsewhere you know, never in space like your gay ass though.
    Zone Controller

eastern sierra, ca

LCC/BCC.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

in the real world:

in my dreams/when im a millionaire:

5 times a day I put on skis, face Summit County, and pray for snow.
    Is that what you mean?

I could probably live somewhere between Kicking Horse and Revelstoke and ski the resorts along with Rogers Pass the rest of my life and be quite happy.

I'd have to say AK for sure. It seems like a whole other world up there!

I am my Mecca. Everywhere I go, there it is.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Quote Originally Posted by pineconepete View Post
    I could probably live somewhere between Kicking Horse and Revelstoke and ski the resorts along with Rogers Pass the rest of my life and be quite happy.
    Me too. Golden is my mecca, but I prefer calling it my Shangri-La. Bit more suiting of a title I think.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Quote Originally Posted by pineconepete View Post
    Pretty much anywhere in British Columbia. So many mountains, so little time...

My Mecca is where there's some powder on the day I'm skiing it!
    I've been to several Mecca's that sucked donkey balls because the skiing conditions were bad.

However that being said..... Shames Mountain in Terrace... Zymacord Trees , Thunder Bowl, oooohhh I get moist just thinking about it.

My Medina( second to Mecca)... Thompson Pass, Valdez on a Early spring day wid good visibility.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Cham-wow!

Hands down it's Chamonix....and not a visit once type Mecca, but one where I
    find a way to stay and live out my life there.

gunit130 Guest
    Keystone I loooooove A-51

Quote Originally Posted by Gripen View Post
    Me too. Golden is my mecca, but I prefer calling it my Shangri-La. Bit more suiting of a title I think.
    Sounds like "Shoots" country. I'd have to say I'd love to spend a winter or two in and around Revy searching for the 'Grail'. SOOOON!

Cheers
    "People ask us to take them skiing, and I'm like, 'REALLY'? I mean if you want to get in an avalanche or just die somehow, then, YEAH, come with US!" - Nathan Wallace

49 degrees

ALPINE ZONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Zone Controller