Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Rode and got served up at the Fork yesterday. First time back in 2 years and I wrongly assumed I'd do WAY better thanks to riding and improving since. Not really. Only fared well on Racehorse and Moto. Got my shit kicked hard on Shake n Bake and drove the truck on the next lap.

Amazing day tho. Trails were in great both on the bike and in a heap next to it.

Rode at Japanese Gulch on Saturday. Cool place, had fun. Tough hike a bike though.

Anyone want to PM me some beta on North Fork? Directions, protocol...

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesN'Cream View Post
    Rode and got served up at the Fork yesterday. First time back in 2 years and I wrongly assumed I'd do WAY better thanks to riding and improving since. Not really. Only fared well on Racehorse and Moto. Got my shit kicked hard on Shake n Bake and drove the truck on the next lap.

Amazing day tho. Trails were in great both on the bike and in a heap next to it.
    That is full on DH shuttle bike death-gap type stuff, right?

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    Rode at Japanese Gulch on Saturday. Cool place, had fun. Tough hike a bike though.

Anyone want to PM me some beta on North Fork? Directions, protocol...
    Worth a trip from Seattle just to mix it up? I've never been and don't know what it's like over there.

Pretty gnarly, eh? ride-arounds for the big shit?

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    That is full on DH shuttle bike death-gap type stuff, right?

Worth a trip from Seattle just to mix it up? I've never been and don't know what it's like over there.

Yeah I think so. I am not familiar yet with the riding areas around the greater Seattle area but I think it would be worth it for an after work ride tooling around. The guy I went with came up from Seattle. I posted a video TR on here yesterday.

Death gap type stuff is actually more along the lines of what I am looking for and Japanese Gulch was not it. I only have one bike and its big and heavy.

Then yes, you'll be stoked on The Fork.
    You can get away with a tough 6in bike, I did it on my Nomad and more versed buddies were on a Rune and Delirium, but there is no mistake that a DH sled is the tool for the job especially as you go to the bigger trails the only exception being if you are a total shredder and can get away with big moves on a smaller bike. If I lived up there or rode that kind of shizz more often I'd get a DH bike for sure.

Having a big bike you'll locally want to check the big lines a Duthie for well kept jumps and the "exits" off 90 (which we aren't supposed to talk about but info is certainly out there).

At the Fork trails range from smoother yet still with some tech rocks, chunder and smaller features to steep raw rooty tech (where I was constantly off the bike or walking and not having fun) as well as bigger trails with bigger features. There are arounds on pretty much all the features. Still I would recommend a guide of some sort just to get a feel for whats what and tow in's. We rode with some locals including one avid and ex-crew-member builder up there. It was insane seeing the versed locals rip on the bigger tech stuff. Watched a 25ish foot hit to tranny followed by high speed snapper left where the guys pretty much hit and direction changed off a 6 foot slap berm. Daaaammmnnn.

Then yes, you'll be stoked on The Fork.
    You can get away with a tough 6in bike, I did it on my Nomad and more versed buddies were on a Rune and Delirium, but there is no mistake that a DH sled is the tool for the job especially as you go to the bigger trails the only exception being if you are a total shredder and can get away with big moves on a smaller bike. If I lived up there or rode that kind of shizz more often I'd get a DH bike for sure.

Having a big bike you'll locally want to check the big lines a Duthie for well kept jumps and the "exits" off 90 (which we aren't supposed to talk about but info is certainly out there).

At the Fork trails range from smoother yet still with some tech rocks, chunder and smaller features to steep raw rooty tech (where I was constantly off the bike or walking and not having fun). There are arounds on pretty much all the features but I would recommend a guide of some sort just to get a feel for whats what. We rode with some locals including one avid and ex-crew-member builder up there. It was insane seeing the versed locals rip on the bigger tech stuff. Watched a 25ish foot hit to tranny followed by high speed snapper left where the guys pretty much hit and direction changed off a 6 foot slap berm. Daaaammmnnn.

Conditions were amazing but still some trails were closed for re-build and upper mountain stuff waiting for drying and or melting.
    Sounds like fun. I'm definitely not a pro ripper but I can hold my own and mostly like to challenge myself. Any idea who to talk to to get in on a trail day? I am not above working for my rides.

I will do some googles on the 90 exits and I think we are heading to Duthie this week sometime.

there is a trail day on blanchard mountain june 4th for national trail day. im sure you could meet some builders and riders from up here at such an event. the whatcom trail co-op guys would be the ones to talk to

NATIONAL TRAILS DAY
    Blanchard Forest Block

Saturday, June 4, 2011
    9 a.M. To 2 p.M.
    Come Join Volunteers To Help Renovate Trails
    Join volunteers from hiking, mountain biking and equestrian interests to address drainage issues, brush vegetation, and renovate sections of trail.
    What To Bring
    Bring: Hard hat, gloves, and water.
    Snacks And Lunch Provided For Volunteers
    Whatcom Chapter Backcountry Horsement of Washington, Whatcom Trails Co-op and Kona Mountain Bikes will provide snacks and lunch..
    Blanchard Lower Trailhead.
    Directions
    From I-5, Take Exit 240
    Go North on Samish Lake Road for .5 miles
    Turn left onto Barrel Springs Road
    Go .7 miles
    Turn right onto B-1000 Road (forest road)
    Go .6 miles to trailhead on right

For More Information
    Contact DNR Representative Christ Thomsen at 360-854-2860 or christ.thomsen@dnr.wa.gov

Rode the trails at Juanita Drive in Kirkland at Saint Edwards Park or whatever yesterday. They didn't live up to their Google for a guy on a freeride bike, but on an XC ride it would be a nice flowy area to kill an hour before bedtime or something.

Go to Duthie dude.
    Maybe another :30 from there but you'll be stoked on the big lines on a big bike.

Go to Duthie dude.
    Maybe another :30 from there but you'll be stoked on the big lines on a big bike.
    Going there on Friday or maybe Saturday. Yet to be determined.

Got hooked up with this polish guy named Tomek who has a PhD in Philosophy and shreds trail on a transition bottlerocket. The two of us and maybe one more.

Would be pumped to meet up with some mags! What do you say Peaches?

All depends on a multitude of weather, workload and energy level.
    Maybe...

Just got to the park. Big dude on a bright green nomad. Gonna be digging over by ryans line on one of the new trails then ride for a bit. Yep!

Just got to the park. Big dude on a bright green nomad. Gonna be digging over by ryans line on one of the new trails then ride for a bit. Yep!
    Sorry I missed ya man. Couldn't make it happen today.

Instead heading to Galby first thing tomorrow morning. Planning to be at the trail head at 10am. Pumped.

Rode Galbraith yesterday for the first time. Good stuff! Maybe a little too much bike though. Wouldn't mind getting some laps in on the U line on Savages double

Also, my derailler broke before I even barely got saddled up and couldn't shift all day....so I'm in the market for one of those if someone has an extra on the cheap.

We headed over to Rat Pac today. Three laps and fun fun fun.

NICE! How was Rat Pack running? That trail is super fun.
    Who'd you ride it with?

I was always under the assumption that you had to ride up the loose gravel road to get to the top but I guess there is a mellower round about trail ride up too — sounds way better.

NICE! How was Rat Pack running? That trail is super fun.
    Who'd you ride it with?

I was always under the assumption that you had to ride up the loose gravel road to get to the top but I guess there is a mellower round about trail ride up too — sounds way better.
    I went with Justin H. and his friend Jake. We rode the paved/gravel climb three times, which got a bit monotonous but was a worthwhile effort. I felt pretty dialed by the third lap. The trail is in great shape except for a couple slick spots yesterday morning. Even those began to dry out as the day went on, so imagine it is near perfect up there today. I've heard of the roundabout approach which does sound fun, although much longer.

Jebuzz, three laps?
    Good effort, but man where did the third come from?

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Jebuzz, three laps?
    Good effort, but man where did the third come from?
    I forced them to do it by declaring first thing that we were doing three laps. Shame is a powerful motivator.

If anyone wants to get out and ride some of the goods around bellingham once it stops raining this week, contact me. I know of some butt-puckering, balls-on-the-back-wheel trails that I want to get dialed in or atleast fluid on.

Anytime this summer for that matter, I've got fridays and saturdays off and a place to stay

A couple short clips from Duthie Hill yesterday.

Finally sold this bike and got a bottlerocket frame. Going to be without a bike for a little while but I'm stoked on the build.

It doesn't get the gravity-shred stamp of approval but Black Diamond has some killer xc trails if you go to the correct area. I found this out today.

Where's that new Duthie step up? I'll be riding there Friday

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedClam View Post
    Where's that new Duthie step up? I'll be riding there Friday
    I can't tell you how to get to it but you'll find it easy enough...I didn't want to hit the new one on my downhill bike but it has a sick 15ish foot roll in followed by about a 4 foot pump and then a wood ramp. Pumped to give it a try. Kat said they plan to tear down the old one that's off of Ryan's...which, IMO isn't as fun as the natural step up on H-- something. New one is sick though for sure.

Was my first time there. Good shit.