I just bought my first board!

I spent the summer surfing every Saturday and Sunday at a surf school at Bolsa Chica (just North of Huntington), and I was actually at the point where I felt like I could ride the waves there. I was consistently catching waves before they broke standing up and riding them in (with a few turns thrown in to avoid running over the spongers).

Unfortunately my surf school closed last weekend, so I was stuck with no board. I found a cheap, very lightly used, longboard (9-3) that a guy had shaped himself (he's in the process of starting a part-time shaping business). I took it out Sunday afternoon in really choppy conditions at Huntington. Unfortunately I had forgotten my contacts, so I couldn't really see the waves until they were a few feet away. Despite the lack of eyesight, I still managed to catch a wave and get up and riding. The new board made it a little bit harder to catch waves, and it was a little bit less stable, but it was definitely ridable, and I think it will help me progress.

Now all I need is for the rain to stop down here (while continuing to snow in the mountains) so I can get out in the water without instantly contracting every disease known to mankind.

Congrats! Welcome to the club. Hope you stick with it.
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

congrats....Saturday was friggin nice...blue skies...clean water..(or so its seemed after it rained Friday...)...nice 3-5 footers in El Porto...not too many folks...it was quite nipply...

Barnballs - You went into the water on Saturday? Aren't you supposed to wait at least a day or two after it rains? Or am I just an overconservative kook?

i had the lifeguard at venice reiterating the warning to me like 4 times. i told him i just had my shots and went in. not much dirtier than it usually is, so it wasn't much to worry about.

if it pours for like an entire day, then stay out for like 72 hours or so.
    fine

poured for an hour on Friday...so figgured Sat am was ok, besides I cracked my head about a month ago w/the board, and got the Tetnus(sp?) booster...

tuffy...you go out at windward?

Originally posted by Barnballs

tuffy...you go out at windward?
    i'm usually out there somewhere between the jetty and baywatch headquarters.

the jetty tends to attract more people, so i try and find some space to myself a little further down.

you been goin' out there at all?
    fine

every-other Friday couple of us there, 6:30amish.....seems like a decent break-off the jetty....but I'm no expert.

when it gets pumping in the winter, the jetty breaks perfectly and makes the rest of the beach look crappy. it almost works on the smaller jetty as well.

what time are you in the water til? i usually get out sometime b/w 7 and 730. what are you riding?

you live in the neighborhood?
    fine

usually stay till 9 ish or so...try to meter-biotch.

Got a Becker 'Legacy' 9.0....so I'm typically getting my a$$ kicked these days...(except this past wknd..nice for lb's)..I'm a newbie...but am truely hooked on the sport.

I'll post next time we're heading up from Hermosa.

You gonna make Mammoth on Friday?

we'll see. i'm still waiting on punani to decide. i think if we do we'll head up saturday morning.

tomorrow, if you come up, i'll be in the water by 730 at the latest, straight out from that little bathroom building on either a white dewey weber or a black beauty. yelling tuffy real loud wouldn't probably hurt.
    fine

TUFFY, TUFFY , PUNY excuse me PUNNI! I got get it right.
    Gave up on the bottle, give me the lobotomy.

Originally posted by mountainbored
    TUFFY, TUFFY , PUNY excuse me PUNNI! I got get it right.
    what's punni? did you go to todos?
    fine

That would of been drunken babble; ignore that.
    Gave up on the bottle, give me the lobotomy.