Poll: Alpine Touring Plate...would you buy one?

Instead of Freerides, what if you could ski on the alpine bindings of your choice, fastened to a Touring Plate, that would unlock for hiking?

It will probably add some weight, but solve the problems of slop, release, retention, & durability of the current options.

Ideas?

Weight a minute!
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by the_eleven
    Instead of Freerides, what if you could ski on the alpine bindings of your choice, fastened to a Touring Plate, that would unlock for hiking?

It will probably add some weight, but solve the problems of slop, release, retention, & durability of the current options.

Ideas?
    If it was durable and Dependable Id be all over that. I think there is a good market for that with people like me.... Mostly resort rats that do some Lift served tour/traverses. Let me know when somthing like that a comes along.

If you are fit and “need” high DIN binders Trekkers are a good choice. 666 and another friend use them and keep up fine. However, both of them are fit , if you’re a fat ass office drone—like me—buy AT or tele gear, you’re not that gnarly.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

It's been done before.

It has been done before, but it can be done better than that, IMHO.

I know of two groups with an Alpine Touring Plate in developement; just testing the waters HERE, to see what kind of interest there would be.

It would be more suitable for most people than the FR, as it would be more biased towards alpine and less towards touring.

I'd buy it for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark
    if you’re a fat ass office drone—like me—
    I've seen Greydon Clark, and let me tell you, that dude is fat. Don't let the millitant veganism thing fool you... that dude loves anything partially hydrogenated.

Quote Originally Posted by slim
    I've seen Greydon Clark, and let me tell you, that dude is fat. Don't let the millitant veganism thing fool you... that dude loves anything partially hydrogenated.
    Some peeps are big, I’m massive and I just got fatter by eating two slices from Mr. Pizzaman for lunch. Illin’.
    Last edited by Greydon Clark; 11-19-2004 at 03:54 PM.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Saw a proposal last year at Dartmouth on one of these thangs....you him?

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak
    Maybe someone like Salomon will surprise everyone and come up with a touring plate integrated into a ski, with a climbing lift and everything, possibly utilizing the pivot design as a touring hinge. Could work.
    when the marker rep was showing us the Motion 1200 AT or whatever they call that junk, i was like "AT"? cool! so how does it work in touring mode?

it would have to be cheep
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Is it gonna let the ski flex? Or be rigid?

I'm with ya on this... it CAN be done............. hmmmmmm.....
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

72twenty has a good point with the flex. if it could be done in a logical way so that it didnt feel like i was skiing with cement blocks under my boots (flex and weight) than id be all over this idea for sure.

If you do it, I would buy one of there was one thign built in that I think is sorely needed. Make the binding compatable with lugged sole AT boots. Many patrollers ski with them in alpine binders, which may be unsafe in certain cases. If you build this thing so that you run safely run At boots in it, the market will be much larger than if it is simply an current style AFD and alpine binder with the option to lift the heel. Just my $0.02.

So it would have to:

-be light
    -be cheap
    -let the ski flex
    -be compatible with lug soled boots

Any other ideas?

Any other ideas?
    It would have to be black XXXL with a chinstrap and have an attachment to plug in a LS9000

In all seriousness though it would have to be all the things listed above but bomber too. I'd gladly take a little extra weight to make sure the thing wasn't going to tear out of the ski or break somewhere where it'd be a long slog back. The other thing it should be is easily repairable in the field should any problems arise
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

So it would have to:

-be light
    -be cheap
    -let the ski flex
    -be compatible with lug soled boots

Any other ideas?
    cheap isnt exactly the best term here. it should be affordable but id much rather throw down a few extra bucks to get some quality piece of equipment that isnt gonna shit out on me when i need it. as for the rest of the things listed above, it would have to be all of those, plus it would have to be simple to operate on the hill. i dont want to have to fumble with my binder setup after skinning 4,000 vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak
    I know some DIN 12 alpine bindings, like the Salomon 912Ti, weigh less than Freerides (no bar underfoot, no heel lock/lift, etc.).
    These bindings do NOT work with AT boots though.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

yeah, I've been looking at going to AT bindings for several years now. But I can't afford to have two pairs of skis and bindings, but also can't afford to have an AT binder that explodes the third day of the season. If someone made a plate binding that was actually durable, and had the performance characteristics of a high quality alpine bindings, as long as it was lighter than bindings and trekkers (the current option) I'd be all over them. And, Assuming there wern't any other disadvantages to the thing than weight, I think that alot of other people would be too.

i just spent the last hour drawing stuff up with my old man about this. after my super neck wrecker due to fritschi pre-release, i need to get some sort of regular binding touring setup. and by the way

trekkers blow!
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    DIN 12 alpine bindings, like the Salomon 912Ti These bindings do NOT work with AT boots though.

?????? Yes they do....all the salamons with height adjustable toe work with AT/modified alpine boots....just look at what most ski patrolers are skiing on! Yes there may be a slight difference in the release characteristics, but if you are that worried you won't be into anything dangerous like say backcountry skiing!!!!