Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Rules (road bike focused)

did a search, didn't see this on here - apologies if it's be done before

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/

for example:

Rule 12:

The minimum number of bikes one should own is three. The correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

Guy at my LBS once told me "You can have too many wives, but you can't have too many bikes."

A bump for this, as I just stumbled on The Rules myself. It is refreshing to see that these people take their sport VERY seriously but don't take themselves too seriously.

Rule # 5 is applicable to all self-propelled sports and should be read and followed by all here.

I believe that Rule 12 applies to skis as well.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Fignon put it, " sometimes, when we train, we simply have to go out to meet the Man with the Hammer". Wise words, RIP.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Rule #6// Free your mind and your legs will follow.

"Your mind is your worst enemy. Do all your thinking before you start riding your bike. Once the pedals start to turn, wrap yourself in the sensations of the ride – the smell of the air, the sound of the tires, the feeling of flight as the bicycle rolls over the road."

Some of the best riding advice I've ever received came from one of the local pro riders during very long, fast mountain bike ride a couple years ago. I said something about my legs being dead, and he replied "I don't hurt any less than you do. Difference is, I'm not thinking about it."

all about rule #10
    come join me, rideit, and all the other retarts at f88me. Now under new management!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah! View Post
    Some of the best riding advice I've ever received came from one of the local pro riders during very long, fast mountain bike ride a couple years ago. I said something about my legs being dead, and he replied "I don't hurt any less than you do. Difference is, I'm not thinking about it."
    What are the odds that the local pro might have a higher fitness level than an average rider? I know when I push myself to keep up with faster riders, I am definitely hurting more than they are, even though we are burning energy at the same rate. I think that pro might be full of shit on this one

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    What are the odds that the local pro might have a higher fitness level than an average rider? I know when I push myself to keep up with faster riders, I am definitely hurting more than they are, even though we are burning energy at the same rate. I think that pro might be full of shit on this one
    Of course fitness plays a role in it, and I doubt he was hurting like I was. That was just encouragement. But part of being a better rider is being able to push through the pain. Endurance has physical and psychological components.

See rule #10 - you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I liked the LeMond quote: "It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster"
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

The lemond quote is good.

Fwiw: individuals of a higher aerobic fitness capacity tend to be more efficient meaning that less energy is expended per workload.

#'s 5,9, and 42 are most important IMO respectively.

#33 - "Shave your guns."

I laughed. That said, the guys I ride with told me no one will take you seriously with hairy legs. Thoughts?
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam.

If some one ask's how many bikes you have the correct response is,

I'm 1 bike away from a divorce!

Quote Originally Posted by Hong Jong Fuey View Post
    #33 - "Shave your guns."

I laughed. That said, the guys I ride with told me no one will take you seriously with hairy legs. Thoughts?
    If you can throw down and school anyone, it doesn't matter what your legs look like. But if you roll up to a group of roadies with unshaven legs, they'll probably doubt whether you should be there.

^^^

Seconded. Pretty classic though when a dude with Sasquatch legs rips the guts out of a kitted-up clean-shaven poser.

Posers? This sounds like a bible for them.

"Look, my tires are mounted so that the label is right at the valve, and my sox are the right length and color, and I carry my spare tube and stuff in my jersey pockets. So how come the rest of my life is nothing and I haven't been laid in two years?"
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 05-28-2012 at 08:57 PM.

^^^
    Funny thing is those were pretty much the rules back when I was racing 20 years ago...
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

the link doesn't work for me, I am holding steady at only 4 low-to mid range bikes (road,townie,mtn,touring) and the road bike hanging in the dining room is only there cuz the wife kicked me out yrs ago but any toy without a motor is really a pretty cheap habit and any wife should be so lucky to have a man who ONLY has a bike habit

At a party a local MD shared with me that he was suffering from AIDS ... Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome

They're funny, but the people who take them seriously need to get over themselves. And actually the fastest guy I know does not shave his legs.

Related:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcjoWL6hJg8

^ awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Hong Jong Fuey View Post
    #33 - "Shave your guns."

Yeah, it's kind of like how if you want to be taken seriously at a transvestite dance club, you better be wearing heels, a fishnet tank top, and have your balls hanging out of your g-string. Baggy jeans and a North Face puffy won't impress ANYONE.

Really though, If you're a cyclist with tons of legs hair, it makes a lot of sense to trim/shave it. My legs looks like they're covered in shrubbery, so I trim 'em way back because it 1)makes finding ticks a helluva lot easier, and 2) makes cleaning cuts and abrasions a helluva lot easier.

Road rash is easier cleaned when shaved. I never did it as I am slightly blond and not that hairy.
    Mtn bikers are much less pretentious.

I used to train on a road bike and thought the culture was way different. I enjoy watching road riders race regardless of their smug.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post
    Rule # 5 is applicable to all self-propelled sports and should be read and followed by all here.
    Rule 5 see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EY7lYRneHc

link is NSFW...

Glad I'm not a roadie. To many rules. I just ride a road bike in my baggies and mtb clips.

Loved the whole dam site. Rule 5 is definitely fully applicable to MTB. Glad, however, that except for complete douches, nobody on the trail gives a shit whether you wear complete "kit."

Disclaimer, I have to admit that I got really fuckin' sick and tired of watching the asswipe in front of me wearing the local shop jersey, who passed me on the flats, but couldn't maintain the pace on the climb (where it got too narrow to pass him). Made me think the shop owner, who is definitely a hard man should rip the jersey off this guy.