Thread: Heel Pain?

Heel Pain?

So for the past few onths I've noticed increasing pain in my heels, even with just slight pressure. It started with my left. I first noticed when standing in line at the grocery store. I couldnt stand with weight focused on one leg for more than 30 seconds-a minute without a dull ache/sharp pain from my heel.

Now my right heel is starting to do the same thing.

I'm a little heavy for my height I'd say at 190 5-10 fairly active but not on my feet a lot during the week (work in an office).

The only thing I can think of is damage done during my park days and flat landings years ago.

Anyone have similar symptoms? Solutions?

possible Plantar Fasciitis? tennis ball to roll under your heel and lots of stretching. get into a yoga routine. also if you know some quality boot fitters, have them build you some street shoe footbeds. basically just to support and provide comfort for the heel.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Google "Heel Spur"

wong forum

We have a whole section of aches & pains you can search and post to

[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16"]Gimp Central - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]

oh, and you have Plantar Fasciitis

In the Greatest Nation on this Amazing Planet
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch_cumstein View Post
    I'm a little heavy for my height I'd say at 190 5-10 fairly active but not on my feet a lot during the week (work in an office).
    First of all this is the wrong forum but have you made a change in shoes? Both your feet are experiencing the same problem therefore the type of heel/soles maybe the cause.
    Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by theshredder View Post
    i identify as a gay transexual

Try a heel lift.

The plantar facia is a tough piece of tissue and if you have stretched it, be prepared to be healing for 6-8 weeks.

As mentoned above, if you are near a bootfitter, get a footbed made to help stabilize your foot. If not, don't worry as studies have shown little benefit from custom built orthotics over off-the-shelf inserts for "heel pain" (think Dr. Sholls). Try an insert from Walgreens or CVS before going to a MD/DPM to get a specialized orthotic.

Again, a modest 1/4" or even a mere 1/8" heel lift can start the healing process. No jumping, running or heavy landings. I battled this last summer because of jumping off my longboard at speed.

Oh yeah- wrong forum.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by mitch_cumstein View Post
    You two need to take your retarded Jong brains over to the brain store and get new ones...brains that is..this is the padded room, anything goes jerkfaces.

looking up plantar faciitis or whatever..
    it's not so much 'anything goes', it's more like 'anything goes that isn't already well-covered by the other tgr forums'.

however, if you want to use padded room to ask about ramp angle on your dukes vs fritschis, go ahead.

jong.

Or how that ramp angle can cure sore heels, of course, with a good dash of redhead pron.

Plantar Fasciitis = Having gone through this 6 months ago...it doesn't sound like what you have. PF (for me at least) involved the arch of the foot.

Make sure you are stretching your calf (most importantly) and hamstring.

go see a pediatrist.

WRONG FORUM. you should know better

I have heel pain that is not plantar fasciitis. How do I know? Because it is on the back of the calcaneus and there is no pain whatsoever on the bottom of my foot. I think it relates back to an ankle sprain I had back in April. I took two days off from running and it started pretty soon after that. It doesn't really start bothering me until I've gone more than 15 miles or so. And then I am able to suck it up and keep going. After next week's ultra I will give it a rest for a while. Where exactly is your pain?

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

PF is a very common reason for plantar pain as well as heel spurs that develop on the calcaneus heel and pinch the fascia as a heel strike occurs. However a much more common/non cronic condition is a common bone bruise. There is low blood flow to the back of the calcaneus and thus a bone bruise can take quite a long time to heal, much longer than a normal bone bruise in another place. Just to toss it out there.

One way to know if it's PF is if it hurts the worst when you get up in the morning. If the pain gets worse as the day progresses you have a heel spur.

Ask me how I know... fuck, these last 2 weeks have SUCKED. Pissing in the middle of the night now involves full wakefulness.

One caveat is that you'll often see a "bone spur" on xray coming out of the calcaneus pointing forward - it is usually not a source of pain and can therefore be misleading. As always, best way to get an idea of what's going on is to see someone (such as your orthopedic surgeon).

Best of luck healing.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

I wanted to include these two slides. Hopefully it will help somebody...

This is a major section in my boot lectures.

Plantar Pain Pattern Pearls

Plantar Pain Patterns

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

I have pain in one of my heels. Not sure if it is from PF or from cracks in the extremely thick skin on the back of my feet that is the result of years and years of barefoot waterskiing and being on my feet a lot more than most people. Anyway I've made it a non issue by using lotion on foot, using a stone/skin grinder to remove as much skin as possible and a PF footpad from Dr. Scholls. The footpad did the most by far because it rolls my foot over a little and it supports my arch on the inside taking weight off of my heel.

My issue mimics PF because it is bad when I first get out of bed when it flares but the pain is localized to the heel. I've avoided having go to the doctor for now because it really has gone away 95% with otc treatments. I'd go to the drugstore and get a PF footpad asap. Cheap and you may have great results for a ten dollar bill or so.

Bump for relevancy.

Mark Twain

Very interesting, thx

Bump!

Talked to a friend with some heel pain the other day! Sounded like a shifted fat pad.

Mark Twain