Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    I was talking about surfing. You seem to be talking about something dominatable. Kook.
    Swing and a miss. Barney.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Bag O' Donuts View Post
    The Original poster should be shot for being a poser!!!

Okay, so this is where you tell me all about how locals rule and pie insects like me shouldn't surfing your break and all that, right?

----------------------------------

All this thread is missing right now is Vince. We've got arguments spiraling out of control, debates on who is the most core, and lingerie models. Sweet success!
    God created skis and surfboards to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeCrudSkier View Post

Okay, so this is where you tell me all about how locals rule and pie insects like me shouldn't surfing your break and all that, right?

----------------------------------

All this thread is missing right now is Vince. We've got arguments spiraling out of control, debates on who is the most core, and lingerie models. Sweet success!
    Nope, just think about your posts Homie? Old Baldie Slater is know way in hell the best athelete, nor the best surfer. There is alot of history in surfing, not to mention surfing families to keep it simple.

To answer your last post, yes, I'll fack your car up, steal your beer, and your girlfriend!!! If you come to my surf spot.

J/K Man, but we need this in the surf forum. Good talks
    Whoa, what you gotta say?? Whoa, girls turn 18 every day!!!
    --Vandals

Hugh Conway Guest

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Swing and a miss. Barney.
    I hooked a donkey with that cast!

So......will Marzo be able to hold his shit together long enough to pick up where Slater left off?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    So......will Marzo be able to hold his shit together long enough to pick up where Slater left off?
    Unlikely, as the film, and its subject, points out.

Back on topic:
    Slater = Greatest competitive surfer ever? No question.
    Slater = Greatest surfer ever? Possibly.
    Slater = Greatest athlete ever? Impossible to say, though Mauro makes a good argument.

They (pundits) were calling Shaun Palmer the greatest athlete ever not too long ago. My first contrary thought was that the competitive schedule for a hockey player is far more demanding than for a surfer.

PS: Enjoying this thread immensely, especially the Gordie Howe (who I skated a lap with, with Mark & Marty [Hartford Whalers era]) reference.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    Slater = Greatest surfer ever? Possibly.
    Nat young ruled in both the longboard era and the shortboard era:

there've been so many 'next slaters' who knows. nobody yet seems to have the competitive fire... but quite a few the talent.

...nobody yet seems to have the competitive fire... but quite a few the talent.
    Sums up Michael Peterson (since you mention NY & MOTE). Vibes...

EDIT: MP was competitive according to his peers, but could not sustain it in a way like Slater has. This clip (how the ocean calms him) made me think of Marzo:

Last edited by boltonoutlaw; 09-23-2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Add video clip

I'm gonna go with Alan Francis.

Altogether, he has won the world horseshoe championship 16 times, in 1989, 1993, 1995-1999, 2001, and 2003-2010.[1][2] He is also the only player to consistently pitch over 90%,[3] and is regarded by many as the greatest horseshoe pitcher ever

This guy was pretty good

Unbeaten from 1977 - 1987, 122 consecutive races.

4 world records, 2 Olympic golds, 2 world championships golds, 3 world cup golds, all in one event.

Edwin Moses didn't have an off day for ten years.

... and after retirement made the US world cup team and won bronze in the two man bobsled.

Quote Originally Posted by Stikki View Post
    This guy was pretty good

Unbeaten from 1977 - 1987, 122 consecutive races.

4 world records, 2 Olympic golds, 2 world championships golds, 3 world cup golds, all in one event.

Edwin Moses didn't have an off day for ten years.

... and after retirement made the US world cup team and won bronze in the two man bobsled.
    Unlike anything Hugh Conway has to say, ^^^^^ is a pretty serious case of excellent.

The Bonin Petrels

Hugh Conway Guest
    rare footgae of hop surfing

pallate cleanser

Hugh Conway Guest
    dream surf spot, not on tour

CJ, you really need to hang out with Lewis Samuels.

The Bonin Petrels

...Ergo good surfers quit pro surfing and live the good life, like Tom Curren. Slater for whatever reason didn't get bored.
    Recent Tom Curren sighting in Panama:

I'm pretty sure he is better than me. Never surfed with him, but I've stopped in at Ron Jon Surf Shop, and the guy behind the counter said Slater rips. True story.

Hugh Conway Guest
    After how the guys at the Ute Mountaineer talk up Aron Ralston I'm thinking a Ron Jon v. Ute Mountaineer battle royale is the best way to the settle this

It is difficult to compare guys from different eras, but I don't think anyone has ever been a better surfer than Slater. I'm talking about pure surfing, not just competitive surfing. Several generations have come, and not one of those guys has ever gotten the mantle of "best surfer" from Slater. Some of them have beaten him, others have won world titles, but no one has been looked at as the best surfer in the world the way Slater is and has been. Bruce and Andy Irons he chances to be looked at as the best, but I don't think either got to that level. Slater is not the best because of contests, he is simply the best as a surfer.

Jordy and Dane might someday surf better than Slater ever has, but I don't think they have yet. Just my 2 cents.

Surfing has clearly progressed. Guys are riding heavier, slabbier waves and doing bigger, more stylish airs. I think it is safe to say modern surfers travel faster on waves than their predecessors did. For this reason I see Slater as the best ever. He is the best surfer at a time when surfers are better than they have ever been. Maybe Jordy, Dane or Julian Wilson will set a higher performance standard, but I have not seen it yet.

I don't think their is anyone who can put together a long, stylish line at J-bay, bust insane airs, and get barreled at pipe/chopes quite the way Slater can. Until I see someone who is better in all of those disciplines I will give Kelly the title.

Does anyone think Dane, Jordy, Julian or anyone else has eclipsed Slater as an all-around surfer? One of them might have, I could certainly be wrong, I just don't see it yet. Some of them might do airs that Kelly can't, but I don't see anyone with the complete package yet.

Also, the insane famous ass he pulls is pretty good. Who knows how many slamming hot non-famous beach bunnies he has nailed.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

dream surf spot, not on tour
    What is the best season for Chicama - southern winter, i.e., April-October?

every dog has their day- kelly is real good ,so is fanning and irons and jordy
    it all depends on so many other factors- luck of waves, head space, judges ?(lol)
    also modern boards mean the new surfers are able to pull off more shit than the older dudes.
    for me its on the day- and they all have equal chances.
    wiah i could pull a few tricks like jordy smith- he is the man at present for mind.
    chr

Best surfer ever, maybe, i have no idea, best athlete ever AT THE ONE SPORT THEY PURSUE, maybe, best all around athlete period? NO FUCKING WAY!

Someone who is a top level athlete in one specific sport is impressive, like endurance athletes that do 1000 mile races and shit, thats cool, but they;re all super skinny and look like I could kick the shit out of em. NFL players have great power strength, but offensive linemen only move a few feet each play, i could win a fight against them just by staying out of their reach till they get tired.

Slater ever surf for 24 hours straight? I seriously doubt it.

I would say that the best all around athlete in the world is probably someone who you have never heard of but is ALMOST at the top level in a bunch of vastly different sports.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    What is the best season for Chicama - southern winter, i.e., April-October?
    ain't been, but a big swell from the south, so something like that

erm, yah, leroy deer, it's hard to surf at high level at night pookey

Quote Originally Posted by tief schnee View Post
    I'm gonna go with Alan Francis.

She hasn't lost in 393 matches or 101 tournaments against any taker on our planet.