Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

a little bit of garmisch

so I'm thinking about taking a gap year this coming year between undergrad and grad school to go out to garmisch and ski. I haven't actually been to garmisch, but I've heard its pretty sick. I was thinking of teaching skiing out there to make some cash to live, ski, and drink on. I grew up in steamboat. I do speak german and have dual citizenship so I don't have to worry about a work visa or anything, but I'm having trouble figuring out how the ski world works over there. any suggestions?

US Army recreation facility hires Americans to teach skiing there. It's supposed to be a hard-drinking good time.

a few ideas to get you started.

http://edelweisslodgeandresort.com/employment.html
    AFRC is now going by the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort. They have a staff around 30 or so instructors each winter. pretty good deal with housing, health insurance, and a flight over provided as well as access to the kasern (the military based which the lodge is attached to and includes px, commisary, and gas station all operating on the dollar). I spent three winters working for them and was a great time. Be aware that you would paid in US dollars, but spending Euros for beer, which you will drink alot of.

http://www.zugspitze.de/en/service/p...tenkirchen.htm
    One of the larger ski schools in town. Given your dual citizenship, should not be hard to get hired as they do have alot of english clients. Pay is alot better than AFRC but you will have alot more expenses.

there are a few other ski schools in town, but i cannot remember them exactly. The skiing itself is pretty good, but proximity to all the austrian resorts is pretty good. Use Garmisch as a base to explore the much bigger and better resorts in austria, italy and switerland.

Did you mean Rudy Garmisch?
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

oh man, have fun. spent a summer over there. I'd live in partenkirchen unless you like hanging with the fancy folk, ala vail/Aspen. riding a train through the mtn up the Zugspitze would be so cool.

Nice part of the world. There are loads of nice little spots around. I spent a few weekends exploring when I was there on work last winter. I did a little TR over on a UK forum. Some cool mini la grave esque resorts like the laber.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=62070

By far my favorite place was Wendelstein. Loads of terrain available, short hikes to get to the good, no punters, Not too much/thick tree cover. I think it might suffer in spring time though due to the orientation of the main stuff.

Do it. GAP is great, i did six years there. Should finally snow there this winter as its been dry the last few and FIS World Championships are there this winter too.

Just remember you can ski on this side, or that side but stay out of ze middle.
    So by this time, she was ...

Both Viggen and I spent time there as ski instructors at AFRC. Such a fun place, miss it at times!

Lots of places to explore with easy driving distance as well.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Garmish losers. Chiemsee was where its at.

Quote Originally Posted by tief schnee View Post
    Chiemsee eh? Know Ewan Cameroon? Al Warren? Jesus Pagan? Kevin McGrail?
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Ewan the sheepfucker? I know Al too. I was there 95-98ish. We used to go to Garmish for hiring/training early season and exams late season. After I got my level 2 we left one of the examiners sitting on a barstool, leaning on the bar, puking all over his feet. Good times.

Do you know what I had for breakfast this morning rookie? How do you say... I had Sonny side up, und I had Sonny side down, und I had Sonny side all ze vay around.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

I giggled when I saw the Wankbahn.

A long shot: Anyone remember Camp Bayern? I spent a year on staff there, then returned as a camper for the final year.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

Ewan the sheepfucker? I know Al too. I was there 95-98ish. We used to go to Garmish for hiring/training early season and exams late season. After I got my level 2 we left one of the examiners sitting on a barstool, leaning on the bar, puking all over his feet. Good times.
    Which examiner? Those would've been NRM examiners at Garmisch, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Which examiner? Those would've been NRM examiners at Garmisch, right?
    Yep. I remember doing something very similar to the snowboard examiner who happened to be my old boss at Snowbowl.

-The Gylfaginning

Fuck if I remember his name. Some guy out of The Big Mt or Big Sky. It had a big in the name that much I know. He told us to lookout for this kid he had been coaching who was a ripper and was going to make a name for himself, Tanner Hall. I wonder if he made it?

Genau! My girlfriend(now wife) worked at Chiemsee for 3 years and I used to hang out there every weekend. Thats a special place. Winklemoos!!! Do NOT try to out drink Ewan! Crazy Scotish fucker, I helped out with his ski school a few times. She got moved to GAP when Chiemsee closed and spent another couple years there. I lived in GAP for 2 years but worked at the PX not AFRC. My sister is a snowboard instructor there now. Awesome place! Mountain/Bavarian culture at its finest. Very close to 'real' skiing in Austria/Swiss. Often wonder why I left...

Viggen makes very good points. I'm not sure, but it might be too late to get hired at AFRC for this winter though. They usualy have those contracts lined up by now. It would be easier for you logisticly as far as flight and housing. Either way, great town to be in. Good luck!

Grippen=Ethan? Its been awhile.

Fuck if I remember his name. Some guy out of The Big Mt or Big Sky. It had a big in the name that much I know. He told us to lookout for this kid he had been coaching who was a ripper and was going to make a name for himself, Tanner Hall. I wonder if he made it?
    Maybe Steve from Big Mountain. He's been around long enough that he could've been an examiner back then. He can definitely knock 'em back when he wants to ... good guy and a good skier.

i am jealous, wish i did that before grad school. sounds like a no brainer, with your dual citizenship and all. have fun and post pics updating this thread when you get there so those of us stuck in PA can live the dream through the intertubez.

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Do it. GAP is great, i did six years there. Should finally snow there this winter as its been dry the last few and FIS World Championships are there this winter too.
    I was there from 96 til 02. cooked pizza and whatever Bruno needed done! Some big winters there for sure. Kinda fun to step from a little hill in WA to the Alps. GAP 1328 forever!!

Bump for any more GAPers to chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewski2 View Post

Grippen=Ethan? Its been awhile.
    Yea man! How are things! Have a German friend from GAP as a roommate here in Golden now, small world!

-The Gylfaginning

Quote Originally Posted by Gripen View Post
    Yea man! How are things! Have a German friend from GAP as a roommate here in Golden now, small world!
    Def a small world. I'm almost done 10 months here in Afsuckistan, but otherwise living back home in Northern Vt skiing as much as possible.