Page 457 of 465 FirstFirst ... 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 ... LastLast
Results 11,401 to 11,425 of 11608

Quote Originally Posted by djspookman View Post
    We lost at least one skiier in all this. 3 years ago we got assigned a 'random' skiier to join our beer league race team at Pats Peak, and we got lucky. Seth ripped! He was a super fast racer, super strong skiier. He moved out west shortly after and haven't heard from him since, until now.. Roark just informed me that a tree fell on him from the storm and he was in the hospital, apparently they just pulled the ventilator last night. Such a sad loss.

RIP Seth!
    oh shit! RIP Seth.

ya know, material things can be replaced and or fixed. yes, having been there it's a shitty inconvenience, but injury and death puts it all in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by therudeness View Post
    There are others. Certainly others. Given the aspect and exposure of Angel slides...that new one is going to be super dangerous this year. Nothing on the bed surface for snow to bond with. It's going to avalanche.

For anyone who's looking to volunteer this week, a number of towns are posting requests for help here.

Here are just a few of the places looking for help (check link for most recent postings).
    American Flatbread in Waitsfield
    American Flatbread in Waitsfield is looking for help cleaning out so that they can get back in business and feed us great food!
    From their Facebook Page:
    Wow – what an effort. We completed a huge amount of triage work yesterday and have started cleaning basements today. Our goal is to have the restaurant open by Friday. If you can get here to help, bring a pair of gloves and wear boots! If you can’t get here we would love your support -buy a flatbread or come to the restaurant.

Waterbury
    Meet at 9:00 AM Tuesday- Friday (August 30 through September 2)
    Thatcher Brook Primary School, Waterbury
    Back parking lot near basketball court
    Please come at 9 AM in work clothes and prepared to help in ways you can. Bring cleaning supplies, mops, buckets, garbage bags if you have them.

Richmond
    Today (Aug 30) from 3 to 7 pm. Meet at Town Center and be ready to get dirty.

Rutland
    ...Need donations of food, supplies (diapers, formula) AND help on site managing donations and requests. Call 775-6788 or drop donations off between 8:30 and 4 at 101 Grove Street in Rutland, VT
    Donations of food (non-perishable) and supplies (baby supplies badly needed).
    Also need volunteers to help out on site.

Wilmington
    Cleanup is starting in Wilmington this afternoon (8/30). Please check in with police at the high school. The meeting point will move to the main intersection at some point today; check back for updates.
    Wheelbarrows, garbage bins, trucks, mud boots, shovels, gloves.

Manchester
    Help is needed on Richville Road in Manchester Center if you are in the area.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1001969...24388302570130

Damage to roads and houses in the Wardsboro area.
    It's not tragic to die doing what you love.
    http://www.flickr.com/pearljam09/
    http://pearljam09.blogspot.com/

Lurker here. This was posted on the Reddit disc golf page without a credit or reference. Trying to find out if this is from Irene or even east coast. Mind-blowing either way. Tried digging through Flickr for it, but couldn't find anything.

Edit: Jackson Falls, Jackson, NH
    Last edited by lotharofthehillpeople; 08-30-2011 at 10:30 AM.

Just wanted to pop in with an update (now that internet is restored). The NEK got a lot of rain but we were an inch or so short of seeing the massive destruction that occurred just south of here. Lyndonville was flooded pretty bad creating lots of detours, a couple of house were undermind, and a couple of rural bridges taken out. However, almost all roads (except the ones with missing bridges) were reopened by noon Monday. The Village Sports Shop in Lyndonville (which had just been renovated) had water in it.
    The water levels were similar to the flooding from the severe thunderstorms (complete with tornado warning)we had back in May. I think the troublespots stuff that were destroyed and then freshly repaired after that flood actually helped resist some of the erosive power of this latest flood.
    Some of the pictures from other parts of the state are unnerving. Lots of Water+Gravity+narrow river valleys =
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

The VT road closure map kind of gives you an idea how isolated areas are after the flooding.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoadClosures.jpg 
Views:	951 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	99467
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

surf this morning was unreal with at least 1/5the folks out and waves the same size and breaking better than yesterday.

gotta love midweek with the kiddos back in school, finally.

now if only i can leave work 2 hours early........

strawjack, lets meet up for a surf sometime.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by lotharofthehillpeople View Post
    Lurker here. This was posted on the Reddit disc golf page without a credit or reference. Trying to find out if this is from Irene or even east coast. Mind-blowing either way. Tried digging through Flickr for it, but couldn't find anything.

Holy shit. Is Jackson still there?

Nice first post though. And welcome.

Vermonters - this just in: WDEV radio is saying they need mountain bikers and/or horses and riders to help get food/water/medical supplies to those stranded in Granville and Rochester. (Thanks Joshua Schwartz for sounding the call.)
    It's not tragic to die doing what you love.
    http://www.flickr.com/pearljam09/
    http://pearljam09.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lotharofthehillpeople View Post

It looks like a screen grab from this...

Quote Originally Posted by PearlJam09 View Post
    Vermonters - this just in: WDEV radio is saying they need mountain bikers and/or horses and riders to help get food/water/medical supplies to those stranded in Granville and Rochester. (Thanks Joshua Schwartz for sounding the call.)
    Know anything about who to get in touch with about this? I'm currently in Mass right now, but I'm going to send a message out on the UVM cycling team email list.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    Know anything about who to get in touch with about this? I'm currently in Mass right now, but I'm going to send a message out on the UVM cycling team email list.
    I've been working on figuring this out since I re-posted this on Facebook from a friends post...will post here when I know.

Apparently someone else on the team was quicker to the draw than I was. Call 244-7321 if you'd like to help deliver supplies.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    Apparently someone else on the team was quicker to the draw than I was. Call 244-7321 if you'd like to help deliver supplies.
    Or call Chris Cole at the VTrans. 802 828 1647

Just got this email from UVM cycling
    > WDEV radio is saying they need mountain bikers and/or horses and riders to help get
    >
    > food/water/medical supplies to those stranded in Granville and Rochester. Phone number is 244-7321 if you want to help

Looks like Big Daddy is in for a long haul. Vibes from SLC. wishing I was home to help out
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Hats off to u guys helping out the vt'ers! I sent as much generator stuff as I could that way.

Ice- I'm at dr's office typing this...may hv to drain my knee. Looks like ir for a bit...again! I hate getting old.

Catskills took the biggest hit I've ever seen There's alot of work to be done to get access to the ski hills . lots of bridges damaged or washed out

Shit, Vibes out to all affected by this mess. Goin on 60 hrs without power by me and prob not gonna get it back for another 2 days. Hope everyone is hanging in there...

Gman and nmbrddays I can't pm yet. Just joined and have limited access. I live in Park Slope (we're neighbors). When the season approaches give me a holler. I usually drive up for first substantial (6 + inches) snowfall and do the hike/ski grass thing. Im definitely down to split costs (gas, hotel, etc).

Big Daddy called me today from Hancock and is OK. He was headed to Middlebury to get in touch with his work crew. My pal Chris who lives on the corner of his road got out in his Tundra to Plunkton road in Warren and is going back tonight. Hopefully BD will chime in here soon.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Just got in from helping Tim and Quail [super nice couple in the MRV, Tim is the chef at Henri's] in their flood recovery effort. Taking time off from work to help out this week. It is so inspiring to see so many people selflessly giving up their free time to help others in need. Someone they did not know except by sight brought a meal by for 8 knowing cleanup was going on.

Some scenes from the MRV

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Well my troubles seem pretty minor compared to some. I have a 70 foot maple on the roof but otherwise pretty minor problems now that the power is back. Hope everyone is safe...

The media on this thread is mind boggling. All the best to the VT'ers, hopefully things will be balanced out by another kickass winter (and maybe a few more new slides).