Page 88 of 465 FirstFirst ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 11608
    Scanners are (and have been) all over yurp. Jay is the closest thing here to yurp, so it's only logical...

Loving all the mini-stoke. Good not to push too hard just for the reason BS said, you don't want to make it a bad experience. But if they want to be out there... then do it! (A pocket full of Hershey Kisses was always handy on the slopes for incentives, too.)
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Foothills of the VT mountain where it never snows
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewski2 View Post
    Thank you! That was probably the best opening day I've ever had, just being there made it awesome. "death dumplings"=hilarious
    Yesterday was pretty sweet, sun and corduroy and ran into a bunch of friends.
    I thought "death dumplings" was pretty funny myself...but skiing on them wasn't!

I'll bet yesterday was a nice day to be out. I was thinking about that all day while I was working.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    huh? what? scanners at jay?
    Yeppers. Scanners. All passes and daily tickets are now RFID cards. First and only other time I've used this kind of system was years ago at Solitude, but many other resorts out West have them now. Doesn't seem very "Jay" but it sure makes the lift lines more orderly than they were without them!
    Raise 'em Jay. And remember: Safety Third!

LetsPlanTrips.com

Our photo galleries

JGB,

Stick to your guns man!! I've always said you don't teach a kid how to walk, they figure it out on their own. If you put them on skis, THEY WILL FIGURE IT OUT!! You're not pushing or rushing ANYTHING!!! At the risk of channeling Iverson, you've got to tell the Mrs. "We talking about the magic carpet, man, not the chairlift, not 8 hours of skiing, but 10-20 minutes on the magic carpet!"

This turned into a longer post then I wanted but here's the primmer of what to expect when teaching your kid how to ski

At 18 months they really aren't "skiing" they're just sliding all of about 5 feet unless they're between a parents legs, BUT they know its fun. MORE importantly YOU can read them and know if they're NOT having fun(which is cue for you to stop and take them inside for chocolate/snack).

Here's mini at about 19 months at our local golf course/sledding hill

We played on the magic carpets a couple of times that year and then right before mini was 2 when I went up to Killington with him and I skied him between my legs from K-1 to Bear for the mogul challenge and that was his first "BIG" hill experience.

By the start of the next season he was able to stand on skis without help and we started heading up the hill full time. At the start of the year he's probably 3/4 of the time on a training harness and I'm letting him ski the flats by himself by the end of the year its probably 1/4 harness, 3/4 freeskiing.

This is mini between 28 months and the end of the video is about a month before his 3rd birthday.

I will warn every parent on this board you this is where you pay your dues!! Its a LONG, HARD time period. Your back is going to hurt from bending over, your legs are going to hurt from skiing in a wedge CONSTANTLY, you're going to be picking the kid up when he/she falls down. There MAY in fact be full on meltdowns when you're 20-30 minutes of kid skiing away from the lodge and they're hungry RIGHT NOW!!!. You're going to have to give up skiing the awesome terrain with your buds in favor of yet ANOTHER lap on a green circle. You may have ENTIRE ski days where all the kid wants to do is ski laps on the magic carpet or the handle tow, and you're GOING to have to deal with it.

As an aside this is where I discovered the wonders of Dynafit bindings and AT boots!! When you're carrying all your gear plus their gear, PLUS all the support gear for kid skiing, having the lightest skis and bindings and the easiest boots to walk in is a HUGE plus. I think I would have committed suicide if I had to lug my alpine gear + boots every time Mini went skiing.

The worst part for me was at this point that I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, but it seemed like it was taking FOREVER to get there. We had days when Mini could slay everything he looked at and was 99% independently skiing, and we had days where he couldn't get out of his own way and I'd have to pick him up over my shoulder and ski him to the bottom of the hill. At the top of the hill you'll watch your friends ski in 5 seconds terrain that will take you 15-20 minutes to navigate with a kid. I've been there and its extremely FRUSTRATING.

But the rewards are SO worth it. By the next season(3 years old) mini was skiing fully independent and was able to start tackling easier blues when he was in the mood. By December of that year he decided he'd had enough of skiing forwards

This is REALLY fun age because you're finally able to ACTUALLY ski at somewhat normal pace. Plus you're almost ENTIRELY off green circle terrain and on to Blue Squares!!! Extra bonus!!! Since three year olds have VERY little fear, they'll try ALMOST any trail. Nows the time to start experimenting with trees and some mild steeps.

At 4 years old Minianimal could survival turn almost anything on the hill, was charging the green and blue terrain, starting to get an enjoyment out of skiing the trees and by the middle of the season he could handle(with some help) Anarchy at Killington

By 5 you've got the makings of a small addict. Now they're going to start expecting to go skiing in October and be PISSED when the snow melts in May. Your child may discover Park skiing for the first time or flirt with snowboarding.(Its ok, really) They're fully independent creatures now they're starting to make they're own calls on where THEY want to go skiing and what THEY want to ski.

At the start of year 6 you've got full on addiction, they start missing days of school because they don't want to miss opening day, discuss openly how much they like to ski powder, they have an app that tells them how many days until Magic gets open. And they actually want to ditch YOU because you're not cool enough to ski with.....

I'll let you know how the rest of the season goes.....
    Last edited by laseranimal; 11-30-2010 at 11:05 AM.
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

i used the RFID cards in france and it was great. keep it in a pocket near the scanner and you can ski right through the gate

Quote Originally Posted by SheSkisTrees View Post

Yeppers. Scanners. All passes and daily tickets are now RFID cards. First and only other time I've used this kind of system was years ago at Solitude, but many other resorts out West have them now. Doesn't seem very "Jay" but it sure makes the lift lines more orderly than they were without them!
    so it's an auto thing? they don't have a person scanning every persons pass as they go by? that is what i've experienced in the past and its a nightmare...slows everything down.

I'm loving all the kid stoke. I have a 5 month old and I'm counting down the days (well really years) until he can get on skis. Looks like a lot of fun.

so it's an auto thing? they don't have a person scanning every persons pass as they go by? that is what i've experienced in the past and its a nightmare...slows everything down.
    if its a scan gun, its a nightmare, if its the turn-style kind its nice.

anyone got any thoughts on this rain turning to snow later in the week?

My thought is that I hope it doesn't happen as bad as they forecast.....I hate being on edge like this but this system doesn't sound friendly to our cause.

Laser, your advice is great. I just took B out to Okemo for day 2. Right up to the carpet, he was psyched. Once at the top he wanted zero help from me. No touching him, no harness, a whole lot of "NO MOMMY, NO HELP". He wants to bomb all the way down but he can't turn yet or stop. He can stand up, has awesome balance and gets the pizza concept. Two successful runs on the carpet and headed up for run 3. At the top he takes a digger onto his head (his first ski scars!!) and starts balling. All he wants is cocoa and "no more ski mommy". I carried him down.

45 minutes and that's a day. Into the lodge for some hot cocoa, and popcorn. And of course to say "HI" to all the skiers in the lodge.

Chairlift over there mommy. He wants it so bad. Not yet.

‎"Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality." -Dolores LaChapelle

jgb@etree Guest
    Wow. Really good advice & awesome video of mini-animals progression to a full on skiier! And more magic carpet stoke from BS.

I'm getting so giddy that I may have to strap him into the kiddie skis and drag him across our unfrozen lawn tonight!

Sending the Mrs. back to this thread for the additional kiddie stoke. It may take some work, but I think we'll see how it goes locally on the strap on skis and wandering around in ski boots this winter and get her to agree to let him give it a shot in the spring when he'll be a bit closer to 2 and the weather will be warm.

Thanks for all of the great advice mags.

^

Spring is absolutely the BEST time to start. Warm temps, better snow, less out of control gapers

Highlight BS quote about 45 minutes, thats about the longest I had Mini out at that age, the attention span just isn't there
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Ummm, 45 minutes includes the walk from the baselodge, crying episode and the walk down. Probably about 30 minutes of actual skiing.

He's napping like a champ right now. Nothing like some fresh air and exercise to tire a toddler out.

Edit to add: Spring is the best time for kiddos to get out. Hoping for maybe a spring chairlift ride with him (wishful thinking?). Last spring was awesome and we had B hanging out on the deck at Magic a ton. Again, he's been exposed to skiing in one way or another since, geez I guess since he was in the womb. He was hucking cliffs before he was born. So exposure is huge.

And JGB, for the mrs. - Bridger turned 2 on 11/7 so he's on the young side. You guys got this come spring.
    ‎"Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality." -Dolores LaChapelle

ahhhhh

I remember naps :sniff:

mini gave that up FAR too early on

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    My thought is that I hope it doesn't happen as bad as they forecast.....I hate being on edge like this but this system doesn't sound friendly to our cause.
    shaping up for a 7 day flurry/squall system starting wed night - by this time next week there will be 4-30" of new ultra fluff snow to play "find the drifts" in followed by a monster nor'easter late next week adding another 28"of dense pow then a 6 day lull and another monster storm at christmas dropping 22". plan accordingly.

this weather thing is easy.

Top o' page
    Last edited by kingdom-tele; 11-30-2010 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal View Post
    ahhhhh

So unbelievably thankful mine is a napper. We just went from 2 naps to 1 about 2 months ago. I miss 2 nap days. But 1 is more conducive to leaving the house.

Ok I have to add this. I am laughing so hard. In my basement with the baby monitor on. Bridger just woke up and first words out of his mouth were "Kemo, ski." Just awesome. (Can't wait till it's "daddy's mountain, Magic, ski." instead of slowkemo)

Laser & Bump-you just made my day, and made my mind up. If B and mini can do it, so can my little one. And after this weekend it's all she's talking about wanting to do anyway. Anyone have some boots and skis for a 3 year old I'm game to pony up some cash if you're done with em.

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom-tele View Post
    shaping up for a 7 day flurry/squall system starting wed night - by this time next week there will be 4-30" of new ultra fluff snow to play "find the drifts" in followed by a monster nor'easter late next week adding another 28"of dense pow then a 6 day lull and another monster storm at christmas dropping 22". plan accordingly.

this weather thing is easy.
    An optimist . . . my kinda guy! I like the forecast! Let it snow!
    The Passion is in the Risk

It's not going to be that stupendeous but for sure there is a strong chance of persistent snow showers as we move from thursday through the early part of next week. A few lows will funnel into the same place and essentially create a stationary low up in maine. Cyclonic flow should result in snow showers along the N/W slopes of Greens and to a lesser extent the ADK and Whites.

please please let it snow!

After October's typical freak snowstorm, this season sure has been off to a slow start. This morning was only my fifth outing of the season so far, and sure wasn't much to report: just some skinning up Wachusett before the lifts opened, then a few lift-served runs. But since nobody else has much to report, I'll indulge in a complete TR along with pictures.

My lightweight gear was highly optimized for skinning up mighty Mt Wachusett: Trab Duo Sint Aero skis, Dynafit Speed bindings with custom WildSnow.com top plate, and Dynafit DyNA boots, for about 10 pounds total per pair for the skis+ bindings+boots combination.

The lightweight gear though was significantly offset by nearly 20 pounds of rather old-fashioned technology -- maybe I need a carbon fiber and titanium cyborg daughter?

Having my infant daughter strapped to my chest instilled a newfound appreciation for this signage, as well as for Wachusett's nearly horizontal terrain plus early morning midweek mainly retiree skier scene.

I knew I was saving my old knee-length coaching jacket for some purpose, but never quite envisioned using it to wear around both me and my little, ahh, teammate.

Micayla "skied" nordic fourteen times last season (the first time when she was only four days "old"), and since this was her first ski outing of any type for this season, as well as her first ever skinning outing and first ever lift-served outing, might as well get her on [her own] skis for the first time too.

I've always thought that the best way to introduce children to downhill skiing is to start first with nordic skiing. So let's see: Karhu K'Boom nordic skis with universal nordic bindings, check; Swix nordic poles with non-metal tips, check; Columbia heavy fleece bear suit, check; SmartWool super-warm hat, check; Columbia snow boots, check!
    And nordic skiing is so easy, if you can walk, you can cross country ski, right? So what am I missing here?
    Oh right, Micayla is only 11 months old and can't even walk yet. But I thought maybe if I put her, ahh, bear paws through the pole straps, she could hold herself upright, and indeed she could -- success!

Thus emboldened, I lifted her up and skated to the top of the magic carpet slope, then skied down with her skis on the snow -- until she finally succeeded in kicking off both of her boots (and hence skis too). We then enjoyed an apres ski comprising Cheerios and milk in the car's back seat, before retiring for a nap on the drive home.

Foothills of the VT mountain where it never snows
    It's a gate with scanners. Gate is near your feet and swings open, away from you. Funny thing was, the Jet is a triple but the scanner machine had, I think, 6 gates across. Seemed silly till a group of kids tried to go through and one of 'em didn't open. While the lift dude came over to help (or find out whether the kid even had a pass), other people could pass through the "extra" gates. Moved people along very efficiently.

We had days when Mini could slay everything he looked at and was 99% independently skiing, and we had days where he couldn't get out of his own way and I'd have to pick him up over my shoulder and ski him to the bottom of the hill.
    Wait till he turns 9 or so, suddenly freezes on terrain he's skied for YEARS, and you have to carry him down. It happens.

I really am loving all the stories about little ones learning to ski. Brings back good memories of my own childhood. It is something I missed out on as a parent, since I met my husband when his kids were older and they already knew how to ski. My mom taught kids to ski and we were her guinea pigs, I learned when I was 4, my younger brother was 2, my older brother was "old" at 8 simply because that's when my parents took up skiing. My nieces and nephews all learned when they were between 2 and 4 years old. Woodcorps and I are surrounded by patrollers and instructors teaching their own little kids all the time, some have barely learned to walk but they can slide down a hill. For Christmas last year, we gave our 2-year-old granddaughter some skis that strap on to regular boots. She was a preemie, so she was still a little bit behind other kids her age in development, but she took to those skis in a heart beat. It gave her great confidence in herself. So, to you parents who are wondering when it's time, I think it's pretty hard to start them out too young. You're getting great advice from Laser, Bumpskier and Jonathan. The worst that can happen is your kid doesn't like it right away. That's OK, don't force it, follow their lead, make it a game, make sure to laugh a lot. It will come.
    Raise 'em Jay. And remember: Safety Third!

LetsPlanTrips.com

Our photo galleries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Oh right, Micayla is only 11 months old and can't even walk yet.
    Brilliant. You win.

Man, am I the only person who's parents don't do anything outdoorsy or athletic?

My parents think I'm on mushrooms every time I am psyched a huge storm is approaching.

Johnathan S's daughter has a better BC rig than I do and she just realized she has hands.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Jay Peak was suprisingly good on Sunday. Technically only one run open. But if you had your rock skis on, the UN, and the trees on either side of the UN provided some nice turns.

Definitely regretted my run down the Kitz though.

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpskier View Post
    Ummm, 45 minutes includes the walk from the baselodge, crying episode and the walk down. Probably about 30 minutes of actual skiing.

He's napping like a champ right now. Nothing like some fresh air and exercise to tire a toddler out.

Edit to add: Spring is the best time for kiddos to get out. Hoping for maybe a spring chairlift ride with him (wishful thinking?). Last spring was awesome and we had B hanging out on the deck at Magic a ton. Again, he's been exposed to skiing in one way or another since, geez I guess since he was in the womb. He was hucking cliffs before he was born. So exposure is huge.

And JGB, for the mrs. - Bridger turned 2 on 11/7 so he's on the young side. You guys got this come spring.
    ^^^ The fact that Bridger just turned 2 should help my argument. One of Mrs. JGB's comments last night upon seeing the pics was "well, he's probably 2.5 or so". CJ's going to be 2 in June so I think you're right. As the coordination & mobility continues to move in leaps & bounds, he'll probably be ready around the end of the season when he'll be closer to how old B is now.

ahhhhh

/me loves naptime!

Quote Originally Posted by bumpskier View Post
    So unbelievably thankful mine is a napper. We just went from 2 naps to 1 about 2 months ago. I miss 2 nap days. But 1 is more conducive to leaving the house.
    CJ's just making the swap from 2x 1-1.5hr naps to 1x 2hr. Definitely sucks when we're around the house because we can get so much done while he's sleeping.

Currently raining in NYC, so we've aborted plans to bring him into the city for the Rock Ctr. tree lighting tonight.

Please tell me it's snowing up north?