Page 303 of 465 FirstFirst ... 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 ... LastLast
Results 7,551 to 7,575 of 11608
    CAREFUL OF THOSE F12'S BUTTAH. i already completely wore out the toe piece pivots. shot. i can wiggle them almost 1/2 to 1 inch for and aft. called marker today and they are snding me a rebuild kit as they say they aren't designed to last very long due to light weight parts.

great customer service, but guess i'll have to rebuild them twice a season. i only weigh 165lb and run a din of 8 and don't catch air.

absolutely love the binders tho.

rog

right on. so far, no worries. and they ski most excellent like and whatnot. Crank nice vid, way to smear and slarve. the new shapes are so fucking fun. Rog, glad you're alright. massholes are tough bastards
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    March giveth ..
    keeps giving

Got out with my boy treewelldweller today and met up with moughoul later on for a tour. Skied some luscious pow and had an all out excellent bluebird day with some good dudes, still beaming. Lots of fluff out there to be skied right now. Been too good this season.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Yes! no more driving those planks. i got a wicked kind deal on the Liberty's they were one of the demos. only went out like ten days. bamboo is good wood. seriously, shit is light and poppy, yet holds on ice like glue. and grows like grass. check em out. pretty cool factory and made in the US of FKNA! i feel like busting out Daffy's and whatnot
    Good to know considering Im now in the market for a new set since American Airlines fucked mine up. Any suggestions on a decent set of bamboos? Big fan of bamboo for everything from cutting boards to building materials. Also thinking aboot the F12s. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    As others have by now pointed out, incident assessment is a highly valuable form of avalanche safety education (whether in the avalanche courses I teach or just in internet forums like this one).
    And I commend Roger for being so forthcoming with his debriefings in multiple posts, as this is one of the most thoroughly documented incidents I have ever reviewed. Even though we might have different perspectives on decision making and risk taking, etc., I think we can all agree that Roger's feedback on the incident has provided an excellent learning opportunity for all of us. So, thanks! (Although Roger, please don't feel compelled to do it again just for our sake...)
    Yup and thanks.

And then the sun came out

Today was a day for exploring at Jay Peak. Light winds, brilliant sunshine and cold temperatures made the trees a perfect place to be. Not to mention the leftover snow from yesterday. Some of those runs marked on the trail map were pretty nice too:

MattChuck does a tele-heli on the Green Beret:

MadPatSki trades gates for trees and seems to be enjoying himself:

A few more pics and links to even more here.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    As others have by now pointed out, incident assessment is a highly valuable form of avalanche safety education (whether in the avalanche courses I teach or just in internet forums like this one).
    And I commend Roger for being so forthcoming with his debriefings in multiple posts, as this is one of the most thoroughly documented incidents I have ever reviewed. Even though we might have different perspectives on decision making and risk taking, etc., I think we can all agree that Roger's feedback on the incident has provided an excellent learning opportunity for all of us. So, thanks! (Although Roger, please don't feel compelled to do it again just for our sake...)
    It's not the incident assessment I have a problem with, it's Daves attitude and tone.

Anyway,
    mad out

Hey Rog glad you are ok!

Quote Originally Posted by NmbrdDays View Post
    Good to know considering Im now in the market for a new set since American Airlines fucked mine up. Any suggestions on a decent set of bamboos? Big fan of bamboo for everything from cutting boards to building materials. Also thinking aboot the F12s. Any thoughts?
    You Buy make sex and happy ending.

Also nice to see some real stoke pics this morning.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by the Mad View Post
    It's not the incident assessment I have a problem with, it's Daves attitude and tone.

Anyway,
    mad out
    Yea, I just state plainly how I see, as I mentioned before. It's cute that everyone jumped on my case for being critical of Roger. You can all go back to your love fest now. Here, I'll start....
    Magic is gonna be one hell of a titty-baller this weekend. I've picked out some matching apparel and stole my dad's old ski poles so I'm gonna look like I don't care about what kind of poles I run when in reality it took me 2 hours to dig them out of the attic. Look for me, I'll be the best skier on the mtn.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    nice.
    not that bamboo but ON3p wrens.
    after years of twin sheets of metal
    finding the bamboo(w/carbon sidewalls)
    a very worthy successor.
    3 weeks on 'em and my knees feel better
    and i feel stronger later in the day.
    even forgot the motrin the other day and went last chair w/o (a first in years)

haven't followed the contentious discussion on the slide, but glad you're ok rog.

so you didn't really do it on porpoise did you?

(note the clever use of misspelling to signify jongish sarcasm, while the finger 'stache provides the wink to let you know i meant to do that. )
    Thats cuase you have been ripping those ON3P's like mad man.........
    always forward but never straight

Quote Originally Posted by the Mad View Post
    What are you hoping to gain? You don't ski in avalanche terrain. You made a whole thread about it. You want to gain knowledge? Theres plenty of info from the pictures alone. All you need really. Other than that you want to educate yourself.. get out and poke around. Armchair quarterbacking does nothing to further your avi awareness.
    Funny....a change of tune....now you have no problem with after-the-fact assessment....
    tool.

Hey Multiglisse we were at Jay for the 1st time on Wednesday, def saw you guys hiking up from the Bonny quad over to the front side. Thought it was a good idea but just couldnt leave the goodness of Canyonland to bonnie glade. Powerline was divine pre-11am and totally fresh skiers rights....wow. What a cherry-popping day at Jay! Total sleeper pow-day for sure, but dang there were a lot of Canadians there

STOKE

great pow stoke TC! cool pics multiman! thanx to everyone for kind words and support. dave, thanx for seeming to come to grips with things, any other questions, i'm an easy PM away.

f12 touring binders? absolutely love em. light, ski super stiff, and tour well. i've put a ton of time on the up and skied lots of resort laps this season on them, but unfortunately the whole pivot area up front is completely shot. good thing they are easily rebuildable and designed to be. marker overnighted my parts free o charge and i hope to change out the worn parts today.

i was always a devout fritchi fan, and they are much more convenient than anything else as far as easy use in the bc and held up better than the marker, but skied way more flexy and put you higher off of the ski.

when they are locked in downhill mode, the pivot isn't taxed much, but when in tour mode (i have 30 mt washington days so far on em plus some other skinning pursuits) and they probably wore out after 20 days of skinning.

i'm sticking with em for now as i'll never go dynofiddle and fritchis too flexy now that i've been spoiled by these.

hope this helps.

rog

posted before finished my morning TGR reading about BUCKET killing those stix .......BUttahflake thats one sexy quiver you have there for sure and good luck with your new planks......
    Crank....sweet vid and thanks for sharing was nice with my coffee and will hit your pm back shortly......

Lastly great pics TC..good to hear you and treewell are getting after it as well as moughoul......glad that your getting that SEASON of dreams so to speak.....keep the stoke coming for us stuck in the flatland of PA during the week......
    JONathon S ...well put and thanks......
    always forward but never straight

Rog, I was wondering if you guys ski with rope, and do you wear a harnass. It seems like you could have ski cut the crest of that slope. Talking with an experienced mountaineer about this incident, and Greg's trip on Mansfield, I was saying that I would have been roped for Greg's ski cut. His comment was that skiiers aren't mountaineers, and when heading into real terrain, the one's who are thinking have their harnass on. I've heard about folks at A basin doing this to prevent things from loading up too much...think it would have been a viable alternative to guinea pigging it? Do folks often do this?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Rog, I was wondering if you guys ski with rope, and do you wear a harnass. It seems like you could have ski cut the crest of that slope. Talking with an experienced mountaineer about this incident, and Greg's trip on Mansfield, I was saying that I would have been roped for Greg's ski cut. His comment was that skiiers aren't mountaineers, and when heading into real terrain, the one's who are thinking have their harnass on. I've heard about folks at A basin doing this to prevent things from loading up too much...think it would have been a viable alternative to guinea pigging it? Do folks often do this?
    depends how strong Andy's anchor could have been.... I can't think of anything besides a snow bollard or picket that he could have used, and I'd not trust either to the strength of an avalanche... and if Andy went for a ride with Roger there goes the search party.

In addition, it's also the case that avalanches have been known to have far more force than expected, and have snapped ropes when a skier enacts a ski cut and an avalanche breaks above them... being roped is not a replacement for safe travel practices in avalanche terrain.

and what adventure of mine are you talking about?...
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

Video of Rog skiing the slope that slid the prior Saturday

I think, I am videoing from the island of safety, but Rog can explain better.

Quote Originally Posted by gpetrics View Post
    depends how strong Andy's anchor could have been.... I can't think of anything besides a snow bollard or picket that he could have used, and I'd not trust either to the strength of an avalanche... and if Andy went for a ride with Roger there goes the search party.

In addition, it's also the case that avalanches have been known to have far more force than expected, and have snapped ropes when a skier enacts a ski cut and an avalanche breaks above them... being roped is not a replacement for safe travel practices in avalanche terrain.

and what adventure of mine are you talking about?...

The slide you triggered in the notch last week. I think I would have been roped for that, but I'm a pussy. Yea, obviously a good anchor would be tough. Wasn't sire if there were suitable rocks to sling.

yeah... a big ol' rock would likely work in the GOS incident, and likely the rope strength would be fine for a slide the size of rog's triggered where he was. who knows if that was available though.

if you'd have seen the setup we were dealing with you wouldn't have roped up... hard to explain on here without going into more details than i want to on the webz. hit me BC if you want to hear more. you've got my email.
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

good question dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    nope, i never ski with a rope or harness and wouldn't have a clue how to use either. i once wore a harness for trying rock climbing and didn't like either the harness or the climbing. just not my thing.

there are some slopes that i choose to ski cut, but the slope that went on me wasn't the type of slope where'd i'd do a cut. too wide and open with the only island of safety being too far down slope (where i stopped) to consider a cut.

i've always been into traveling light and simple, relying on my mind to get me through or avoid things and ropes and harnesses would just clutter up my MO. plus i just like to ski a slope and wouldn't want to have to stop and interrupt my run and have my hands get cold cuz i had to rap a section or tie in for some other reason. it's just how i roll. i'd just rather ski nice snow on a mellower slope than have to deal with more gear.

for many years i wouldn't even bring any type of axe or craompns with me cuz i figured if i needed em to get up somethin, then i prob wouldn't want to ski there. now i carry light cramps, but never use em, and have a whippet as a climbing aid only.

that slope didn't go till i was 150 feet down anyway. a ski cut up high would've been on the bomber supportive snow that lured me into the slope feeling more confident than i should've been. the slope we skied next door was supportive and bomber the whole way and unfortunately i based some decisions off of that. variability is tricky.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by gpetrics View Post
    Uh, holy hell, for reals?!
    Are we talking actual climbing ropes (let's just say >=9mm), or more like mountaineering ropes (<9mm) that are mainly used for rapping?
    In either case, I still have difficulty imagining the sort of situation where an avy would instantly load a rope, to it's breaking point. And since you shouldn't be playing without a dynamic rope in this sort of situation, even if the avy did instantly load it, there'd be the stretch factor (often as much as 33%) to help out with the forces.
    Of course, I agree with you Greg that the bigger issue would be creating a suitable anchor. Although I've never dealt with them, my understanding is that a snow bollard would be the best, but they take a lot of time.

I'm not disagreeing with you Greg that an avy could snap a rope, but if it could, WOW, that's a lot more force that I realized going on there...
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post

I think, I am videoing from the island of safety, but Rog can explain better.
    yup just 3 days prior and skiing beautiful supportive windbuff. i still had rob pull off to the island of safety to get the vid even tho things were super stable. i always practice safe skiing. as you can tell from my skiing, i don't just hammer down into shit either. always slow, smooth, and mindful of what's going on around me, or at least i try.

i was stopped where rob was shooting when the slide hit me. luckily for me i didn't stay in the gully feature when the slide broke. that island saved my ass. and that was plan b.

thanx for posting that rob.

rog

Too much banter, too little stoke.
    This deserves to be on the front page.
    Nice work, TC!!

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    keeps giving

Got out with my boy treewelldweller today and met up with moughoul later on for a tour. Skied some luscious pow and had an all out excellent bluebird day with some good dudes, still beaming. Lots of fluff out there to be skied right now. Been too good this season.

And you too, Multiglisse:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post
    Today was a day for exploring at Jay Peak. Light winds, brilliant sunshine and cold temperatures made the trees a perfect place to be. Not to mention the leftover snow from yesterday. Some of those runs marked on the trail map were pretty nice too:

MattChuck does a tele-heli on the Green Beret:

MadPatSki trades gates for trees and seems to be enjoying himself:

A few more pics and links to even more here.

And I suppose I can throw mine in again..
    Quote Originally Posted by akokskis View Post
    On that note, here are a few shots from an awesome day I had a few weeks back (yes, that's a link to my site for a few more images) in the amazing VTBC with my non-mag friend, K.

Poppin' off pillows

K lining it up.

Oh baby.

Coming by a sleepy old boulder. (Don't see it?)

More pillowy goodness. Although I don't have pictures of it, to the looker's right of this area is an entire bowl filled with pillows - it's simply amazing!
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Hear hear ^^^ and great shots ak and multi. Akok, excited to see the rest of what you have been shooting this year, I know there has been a lot.

Headed out with bucket in a few, enjoy your weekend all