Props to Osprey Packs for their All Mighty Guarantee

So I had an older Osprey pack with a carbon suspension system. This pack had suffered some pretty bad damage due to mice chewing on the fabric and on the carbon suspension bar. I no longer felt confident using the pack, thinking the carbon bar might snap and I would have a miserable time of it. Well Osprey did a complete repair of that pack as well as some rips in another pack I sent in. No questions, no proof of purchase, they just did the work and shipped the packs back to me.

Here is their language:

Osprey will repair for any reason, free of charge, any damage or defect in our product – whether it was purchased in 1974 or yesterday. If we are unable to perform a functional repair on your pack, we will happily replace it. We proudly stand behind this guarantee, so much so that it bears the signature of company founder and head designer, Mike Pfotenhauer.

I have always liked the design components of Osprey packs, but this really sets them apart from other warranties I have seen.

Thumbs down

"Props to Osprey Packs for their All Mighty Guarantee"

Which as of last season was not available in Japan (I was told "only in North America"), despite the fact that their packs are commonly distributed in several other countries. A pity because the Osprey Kode that I bought needed replacement after a grand total of 15 hours hiking with my skis in A-frame. The edges plain cut right through the fabric in two days! And I don't have sharp edges, just a bit burred from rocks ('cause, you know, I am a backcountry mountain skier, hence the pack). Sadly my new pack didn't make it out of November!

Lucky I have a very nice shop owner in my small town. He took the pack for his personal use and gave me a replacement new BD pack with a cash adjustment.

Sorry to moan, but I have 2 Osprey packs with 100+ days of use in my range of client rental gear and they fail to perform as time passes, whilst other packs (Deuter) are doing just fine. Last season I had to replace the velcro that attaches the removable shoulder strap to Switch pack - at my cost. Over 100 clients per season [Sacandi, American and Australian] get Deuter recommended to them as a good pack (and I pay full price for them!). Sorry Osprey.

Perhaps something has changed since last November, but I wish Osprey would stand by their warranty regardless of country.
    Life is not lift served.

^^^^

i had the same experience with my kode pack - 3 days carrying skis and the bag is thrashed on the sides from ski edges. i quick "fixed" in the field with seam seal but i would assume the bag will continue to rip.

pretty disappointed with the kode overall - way too many steps to access the bag / attach / detach skis. straps are poorly thought out over the whole system, and the ski edges i also lost technical axes on a descent and had to retrace my entire route as the straps don't secure some axes (especially technical tools and short <50cm mountaineering axes) on the top.

i didn't send it back to osprey though, so am not speaking to the warranty / customer service group in any way and don't mean to imply anything on the OP.
    Last edited by mtnwriter; 09-16-2010 at 05:30 PM.

I love my osprey's. I have two, an old aether, and a variant. Both are great, and hold up to the massive amount of thrashing I give them. I will definitely have to replace some parts of them sometime, glad to know its going to be free.

Carried my Osprey for 3,000 miles on the CDT. Fully expected to toss it in the dumpster when I was done (thru hikes can be brutal on gear). The pack is still in great shape, and has (at least) another 3,000 miles of hiking life left in it.

I was very impressed with Osprey's workmanship, although for maximum durability I still prefer Arc'teryx.

This seems to be just a reconfirmation of the long known trade off between weight and durability.

Osprey is known for good fit and relatively light weight. Arcteryx is known for carrying well, fitting relatively well and is generally heavy. Deuter is also known for using heavy materials.

It's the classic trade off that drives our decisions as climbers and skiers. It's why often times guides will work with a heavier, better carrying pack because it will take a serious beating and be on all the time (most likely with heavier loads) and they wont be climbing/skiing at their limit.

Edit to add: While, when those guides head out to climb something at their limit with someone at their ability level, they'll use a pack that's lighter and doesn't carry as well. This is at the expense of some discomfort that's minimized by carrying less and some wear and tear they're willing to accept for the weight savings and the fact that they're not using it for more than a few trips.
    "Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger." ~Smooth Johnson~

correct me if i am wrong but i think the issue is the older pack are better made and that a few years ago (not sure of the exact date) they moved manufacturing to..............china. i have many osprey packs and like them all, but they are all a number of years old.

Quote Originally Posted by lemmycaution View Post
    correct me if i am wrong but i think the issue is the older pack are better made and that a few years ago (not sure of the exact date) they moved manufacturing to..............china.
    Osprey's production is currently in Vietnam, not China.

Quote Originally Posted by lemmycaution View Post
    correct me if i am wrong but i think the issue is the older pack are better made
    I think that, generally, as lightweight backpacking as become more popular, people are unwilling to carry a six-pound backpack anymore. Consequently, manufacturers are switching to lighter weight, more expensive, less durable fabrics (and buckles, and straps, and zippers, etc.)

I can still get a bomber pack. I just don't want to carry it.

Quote Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
    This seems to be just a reconfirmation of the long known trade off between weight and durability.

Osprey is known for good fit and relatively light weight. Arcteryx is known for carrying well, fitting relatively well and is generally heavy. Deuter is also known for using heavy materials.
    I would agree ,I got tele-babe a talon 44 ,she is a small person light is best , its crazy light fits & her VERY well ... enough so she can use it for a day pack or a weekend over night

I figured something that light is more likely to break but if you got the great warranty it doesnt matter

I have a couple of arcteryx and they are heavy

Osprey bags are crap and you know it (but some idiots still buy them)

Osprey rucksacks are for guys who want to show off in front of their friends.

My Osprey farpoint 55 started to fall appart 15 days after buying it. I got it sent to Osprey. They had the rucksack for 30 days and sent it back to me badly sewed. When I complained about the really bad repairement a guy called Harriet Marsh, who apparently was a "guarantee assistand" (whatever that is), told me the problems with the rucksack "did not appear to be the result of a defect".

I paid 125 euros for a rucksack which started to break 15 days later and got it badly sewed from Osprey...if that is a lifetime guarantee I´m the Che Guevara.

Luckily, the guys at babaik, the company I bought the rucksack from, gave me my money back.

If I were you, I would stay away from Osprey rucksacks and their fake "allmighty guarantee".

Don´t buy an Osprey rucksack

Hi,

If I were you I wouldn´t buy an Osprey rucksack.

My Osprey farpoint 55 started to fall appart 15 days after buying it. I got it sent to Osprey. They had the rucksack for 30 days and sent it back to me badly sewed. When I complained about the really bad repairement a guy called Harriet Marsh, who apparently was a "guarantee assistand" (whatever that is), told me the problems with the rucksack "did not appear to be the result of a defect".

I paid 125 euros for a rucksack which started to break 15 days later and got it badly sewed from Osprey...if that is a lifetime guarantee I´m the Che Guevara.

Luckily, the guys at babaik, the company I bought the rucksack from, gave me my money back.

If I were you, I would stay away from Osprey rucksacks and their fake "allmighty guarantee".

Hey JONG stop the with the double posting already

Great. The m-series Jongs are back. Tits or GTFO

The Kodes have problems. The other packs I've used from them have performed well over time.

The Kodes:
    can be annoying to get into
    quickly get cuts from Aframe carry (super thin material)
    carry skis really fucking well

Until I find a pack that carries skis just as well, the Kode will continue to get sent back on an annual basis for a new one - they've been good to me on that.

M-series bot glitch in the matrix double post