View Poll Results: Is shipping out within a week ok, or should it be faster?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • totally fine

44 86.27%
  • no way, too slow

7 13.73%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Personally, I'm fine with some wait to receive stuff. I try and get stuff out the door asap, just so I don't forget about it . That being said, I think communication trumps all - If a buyer needs it asap, then he needs to tell me, and the same goes on my end.

yup jong slaughter nailed this one. communication is key, if you send someone over the interwebz a few hundred bucks and don't hear too much its easy to assume your being taken. I think if you tell the guy they will ship when paypal clears in about a week thats cool but generally I ship stuff same day or the next day as soon as I see the money in the paypal account
    Carry on my wayward son...

Quote Originally Posted by huckster989 View Post
    yup jong slaughter nailed this one. communication is key, if you send someone over the interwebz a few hundred bucks and don't hear too much its easy to assume your being taken.
    Thats why I started this thread. Sounds like I was in the wrong about not informing him of my shipping plans. If its going to be anything longer than next day, I will be sure to inform my buyer about it.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    i'hey i'm a shit-show that uses my student status as an excuse to not get things done, so it'll be a week before i get 'em shipped', then i would have replied 'no problem.
    I think a 3 business day wait hardly counts as a "shit show", but I see what you are getting at.

That sounds kinda fishy.

Either the guy has some weird issues, or he was trying to rip you off. Cancelling the order after only 4 days isn't a normal response to this situation.

Sounds like he freaked out when he realized you were going to make sure the money was good. He was probably using a "borrowed" credit card or similar source of funding, and figured the skis would be shipped before you realized you were getting scammed.

I say you out the guy so that he can't scam anyone else. And even if he is legit, you're better off not doing business with weirdos like that.

^^ I totally agree. You already had the money, why did he suddenly not want the skis?
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    ^^ I totally agree. You already had the money, why did he suddenly not want the skis?
    maybe he found a deal that he liked better in the interim. He knew he had committed to these skis, but backed out when he saw the opportunity. Or maybe he had buyer's remorse, he realized he shouldn't have spent the money, so backed out when he saw the opportunity. Maybe he has had some bad transactions just like the OP, so when the skis hadn't been shipped yet, he got cold feet and tried to back out.

I'd hardly assume he was a scammer just because of the facts offered here.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

People get pissed when SAC doesn't ship the same day, and arrive the next. The innertubes have changed our expectations on shipping these days. A week is a little slow, but not a big deal in my opinion. There are so many variables to say ya or nay for any given transaction. With upstanding mags I generally ship the day we make the deal, even with a check. If the buyer is questionable then waiting is more then reasonable, but communication is key. Something like "Since your name is Jessie Jones, I am going to wait until the check clears the bank and somebody beats your ass before shipping." That way everybody is clear what will happen.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I would have told the buyer that his mom picked up the skis for him when she stayed over a couple nights ago and that he should call her up to resolve the matter. But that's just me.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Wife logged on to account, saw what he'd done, canceled the order.

She's very sneaky.

Quote Originally Posted by bcd View Post
    That sounds kinda fishy.

Either the guy has some weird issues, or he was trying to rip you off. Cancelling the order after only 4 days isn't a normal response to this situation.

Sounds like he freaked out when he realized you were going to make sure the money was good. He was probably using a "borrowed" credit card or similar source of funding, and figured the skis would be shipped before you realized you were getting scammed.

I say you out the guy so that he can't scam anyone else. And even if he is legit, you're better off not doing business with weirdos like that.
    This. Not completely defending being out of touch for a couple days, but an immediate response to his message of 'I'm shipping today, how do you want it?' shoudn't be cancel the order. Something isn't right here.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    This. Not completely defending being out of touch for a couple days, but an immediate response to his message of 'I'm shipping today, how do you want it?' shoudn't be cancel the order. Something isn't right here.
    I doubt throwing his username to the crowd of angry minions will clear anything up.
    "I smell varmint puntang."

Slow communication causes more issues than slow shipping. Ask ptex.

I sometimes ship before I get paid, as I am a trusting soul. Also, I figure that anyone who rips me off will get the same sort of swift and terrible vengeance this community meted upon Jesse Jones.

Oh, wait. . . .
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by FNG View Post
    I doubt throwing his username to the crowd of angry minions will clear anything up.
    Sure, but it might be funny.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Hugh Conway Guest
    Sure, but it might be funny.
    in a point and laugh at the minions way

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    Slow communication causes more issues than slow shipping. Ask ptex.

I sometimes ship before I get paid, as I am a trusting soul. Also, I figure that anyone who rips me off will get the same sort of swift and terrible vengeance this community meted upon Jesse Jones.

Oh, wait. . . .
    You should revisit the thread. We got further than you may have read.

Quote Originally Posted by Poop*Ghost View Post
    I'm probably ridiculously communicative when I'm selling / buying / shipping - but it works.

I tell the person the day they pay, if I'm waiting for funds to clear or if I'm shipping it on a specific day. If I miss that day for any reason, I send an email and a PM to let them know I missed the post office hours and that it will be mailed on the next day.

Once it's shipped I email them to let them know it was shipped and include the confirmation number if I have one. I typically ask them to email as soon as it arrives and to make sure it's up to snuff with what was described or shown in pictures.

I've never had a single issue in years and years of buying and selling here.
    This.. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers
    That's how the plague started back in the day...from a little disgusting bird bath in someones back yard that rats made sex to birds in and created a whole new type of AIDS

As a buyer I understand that life happens and that the shipping of an item can very easily become delayed. I appreciate being kept up to date though, and I am sure many others feel the same way.

I think a seller should expect fair warning if an item is required ASAP
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

I usually ship as soon as I can, but I let the buyer know that in advance. If I can't ship right away, I usually make that known up-front as well. It just depends. I don't worry too much about the Paypal end of things that much, mainly because I don't sell too many things that are worth a LOT. But again, that's just me.

I think having PP clear your account if it's someone you don't know from adam is probably fine - again, just let the buyer know ahead of time.

If I were to get dicked by someone HERE in particular, I would like to think that the Mag collective would work it's magic as seems to happen when someone pulls a fast one around here. I would hope that would happen in part to the fact that I think I've offered some pretty damn good hook-ups here in the Gear Swap on more than a couple occasions - to the extent of giving one of the Mags here a couple hundred $$$'s worth of gear for nothing, just to hook up his kids with some pretty nice shit.

Just be up front - if that isn't good enough, nothing is.
    Gravity. It's the law.

I appreciate the deals mags pass along so complaining about not shipping within a few days is bs unless an agreement was made. The last few things I've sold have been late because the scheduled USPS pickup kept no showing. If you want your shit shipped promptly pay full price with your CC somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    I think a 3 business day wait hardly counts as a "shit show", but I see what you are getting at.
    your original post said:

He responded, surprised that the skis were not yet en route, and asked for a refund because it had been a week.
    So I based my answer on the 'one week' data point.

Love it when people get all butthurt because the sweet deal they scored on the internet doesnt work out as well as if they just paid retail.

I dealt with this on some BMW forums I used to frequent. I sold stuff dirt cheap, and fuckers would freak the fuck out if I wasnt on the way to the post office the second they clicked pay on paypal.

Look, you just bought a 1000 dollar retail part for 85% off, and you're going to freak a shit when I dont mail it out the same day. Im not doing this full time. I have work, shit to do. Maybe if you paid me retail, fine, but you nickle and dime my ass on the price, then bitch about the shipping charge on a 75 lb block of metal, then freak when I dont mail if out same day like Amazon. Fuck off and buy retail then, otherwise enjoy the deal you got.
    Live Free or Die

The fact that you are even concerned about this makes you a stand up guy. Now get back to studying.