Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Anyone get more than a couple of days on a Lange RS 130 Wide?

Got to try on a shell for the 27.5 wide and think that I should be able to fit at the 28.5 but wondering if anyone got a good test out of them? Width seems like it would work, and the feel is right, just wondering on the new shell.

Been skiing in a well grinded 98mm shell for years and my flip-flop habit isn't lending to narrowing my last any. Additionally does anyone know the boot mm for a 28.5 and 29.5 130? (not the width, its 100mm)
    Last edited by CaddyDaddy77; 09-18-2010 at 12:09 AM.
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

Bueller?

Bueller?

Anyone?

Im guessing that when you refer to the "mm" you are meaning to say BSL???

27.5 = 316mm
    28.5 = 326mm
    29.5 = 336mm

Your best bet is to go to a boot fitter.....he will TELL you what size you are getting.

Awesome, I always like to be TOLD what I should do. Sorry for the ancient reference I'll use BSL from now on.

Thanks for the BSL'S!

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoe_rider View Post
    Your best bet is to go to a boot fitter.....he will TELL you what size you are getting.
    I doubt if most bootfitters will tell CaddyDaddy much he didn't learn from fifteen years of bootfitting.

CaddyDaddy77, after trying these on again, I probably would stick with my usual shell size instead of dropping down to a 27 like I was saying at onsnow. So, your BSL (ahem, boot mm) won't likely be changing, especially with your flip-flop-friendly geographical impairment fattening up your footsies.

I thought Senor Verde was sending you a pair of his samples?

Well, I can't say that I skied them for more than a couple of days, but I skied them (27.5 Mondo) for a full day- and I loved them. I skied them on a 192 Atomic Atlas. Conditions were firm and fast on trail and crusty choppy off trail. I was the second guy to ski them, and the other guy (from another shop here in JH) was only in them for an hour or so.

I am strongly considering skiing this boot for the upcoming season.

I thought the last had a shape and feel similar to the Garmont Shaman I've skied for the last two years every day. A few years ago, the Garmont Rep mentioned to me the Shaman was based off an old Lange World Cup last with a slightly higher instep than most traditional race boots (hence the AT/slackcountry designation) have.

When I asked our Lange Rep about this he assured me they were completely different boots and shared no common lineage, but I still feel they are identical. I have a pretty high instep and felt right at home from the day I slipped the Garmont Shaman on. The feeling was nearly the same for the Lange RS 130.

The heel was very tight, but I felt like I could pack it out efficiently. The instep for my high dorsum was comfortable and I felt the toebox was magically roomy enough-but not boxy- to take a boot pack without loosing a toenail. The RS 130 lasts' heel pocket seemed to flair out a little about where my transverse tarsal joint (just to the front and lateral to the heel) sits.

IMHO, the problem with super tight heel pockets (like the RS 130 and the Garmont Shaman and others of similar ilk) is that few skiers have the balls to properly pack out this difficult, yet essential area of the boot. If the footbed/orthotic isn't adequately supporting the rearfoot, the the medial and lateral malleolus (the "bumps" on each side of your ankle)

get sore if you're lucky, and blistered and raw if you're not. I was able to use my Conform'Able footbed so I got a good feel for the foundation of the RS 130.

The way the RS 130 flairs out just distal to the heel pocket, I thought, eliminated many of the problems associated with overly tight heel pockets. Hey, we all want a tight heel, but anatomically not every foot can tolerate being crammed in there, especially without an adequate pack out/break in process.

The liner looked and felt great so I didn't take a really close look at it.

A major strike against the RS 130 is that it does not have a replaceable heel and toe. Yeah I know the performance benefits of not having them, but in Jackson Hole where skiers hike to the goods sometimes a few times a day, I'm a little worried about how well the sole will hold up on the hike to Cody Bowl.

Wow... I really just clicked to say that I really liked this boot and that I'll likely be skiing it this season.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    A major strike against the RS 130 is that it does not have a replaceable heel and toe. Yeah I know the performance benefits of not having them, but in Jackson Hole where skiers hike to the goods sometimes a few times a day, I'm a little worried about how well the sole will hold up on the hike to Cody Bowl.

Wow... I really just clicked to say that I really liked this boot and that I'll likely be skiing it this season.
    How about the RX130 Pro..same boot but with replaceable soles.

I am actually strongly considering this boot (RS, I need planing) along with the new Tecnica Inferno.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    How about the RX130 Pro..same boot but with replaceable soles..
    its only available in the wide last.
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by gwat View Post
    its only available in the wide last.
    The Pro is the narrow last.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Wierd move, on the website it shows the RX Pro with the same soles as the RS series, non-replaceable. You can always go to a Surefoot and they can grind the soles down and attach replaceable Vibram soles.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Wierd move, on the website it shows the RX Pro with the same soles as the RS series, non-replaceable. You can always go to a Surefoot and they can grind the soles down and attach replaceable Vibram soles.
    Let me check the soles when I get in and will report back.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    Lange's website is very confusing, i.e. it's not written anywhere that the RX Pro is the narrow last, while the RX is the wide. And, as you say, the picture shows a regular plastic sole even though it says in the text (which is the exact same for both the RX and RX Pro) that the RX Pro "features the Ultra-Grip sole made of real rubber" .

Flexon Phil, the new boots are in stock already?

Website does show that the RX Pro is a 97mm last and the RX is 100.

RX130 Pro= 97mm last and solid planeable soles (there are premolded holes for attaching race lifters if you so desire)
    RX130=100mm last with the the ultragrip replaceable sole (ultra grip is way grippier grippier than vibram in colder temperatures)

after that most of the RX series are the wide last with replaceable soles
    be aware that depending on your local shops buy they may have the RS wide in the softer flex as well

so to summarize: if it has replaceable soles in the RS/RX/Delight series of boots it is the 100mm wide last
    planeable solid sole it is the 97mm last...
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Okay what I don't get --

RS 130 (97 last) = RX 130 (97) - From what I can tell there is no difference. I guess Lange feels freeriders don't want baby blue boots. I don't understand why Lange would make a freeride boot without removable non-slip sole plates--except for the fact that they would have to make a different mold. I love Langes, but their soles are so freaking/scary slick for hiking. Maybe I am wrong about these two boots being exactly the same, but no one can prove otherwise so far. I emailed Lange and no response yet. Another thing for you Lange lovers, you can buy the Rossignol World Cup 130 (97 last) for $100 less--EXACT same boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Unbroken Chain View Post
    ... I guess Lange feels freeriders don't want baby blue boots...
    The Lange Baby Blue has a cult following in this town. It has for years.

A few Jackson Locals have been reading this thread. They have warned me how slick the soles are.
    Last edited by skiing-in-jackson; 09-27-2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: D'oh!... spelling {again}
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Okay what I don't get --

RS 130 (97 last) = RX 130 (97) - From what I can tell there is no difference. I guess Lange feels freeriders don't want baby blue boots. I don't understand why Lange would make a freeride boot without removable non-slip sole plates--except for the fact that they would have to make a different mold. I love Langes, but their soles are so freaking/scary slick for hiking. Maybe I am wrong about these two boots being exactly the same, but no one can prove otherwise so far. I emailed Lange and no response yet. Another thing for you Lange lovers, you can buy the Rossignol World Cup 130 (97 last) for $100 less--EXACT same boot!
    maybe somethings in the pipe?
    but when you pretty much make 3 complete boot series in one year and all the assorted molds at 50K$ a size you may have to prioritize...
    if you want "non-slip" soles you van go to the wider last or do the "grind and add" sole trick that people have been doing for years
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Waxman has it right!

As for the WHY, A freeride boot without a replacable sole? I could explain it, but it would make you... well, sick! the bottom line is that the RX offering is there because retailers on a global level, wanted , needed a performance boot in a (RX 130 Pro 97mm) that was not linked to the Blue racing boot.

and there is one small difference between the RX and RS, the RS has a slightly more dense anatomical padding in the heel, which makes for a firmer fit, no difference in the shape just slightly firmer.
    and if you are trying stuff on, check out the quality and technology in the liner. true lasted liner(it fits the shell perfectly) one piece toe box (no seams over toes) instep pocket cutout (no pressure over the cuneiform) and saddle stiched seams in all of the important areas..
    Plus the boot is more up right than ever before, only 12 degrees of FWd lean.

Thanks for the solid debrief Waxman, you're on it!

maineboy

WaxMan Quote below
    RX130 Pro= 97mm last and solid planeable soles (there are premolded holes for attaching race lifters if you so desire)
    RX130=100mm last with the the ultragrip replaceable sole (ultra grip is way grippier grippier than vibram in colder temperatures)

after that most of the RX series are the wide last with replaceable soles
    be aware that depending on your local shops buy they may have the RS wide in the softer flex as well

so to summarize: if it has replaceable soles in the RS/RX/Delight series of boots it is the 100mm wide last
    planeable solid sole it is the 97mm last...

Quote Originally Posted by MaineBoy View Post
    the bottom line is that the RX offering is there because retailers on a global level, wanted , needed a performance boot in a (RX 130 Pro 97mm) that was not linked to the Blue racing boot.
    This really shows how naive/uneducated/marketing duped buyers are when Lange markets the exact same boot (besides that one point made--thanks) to two different groups. Don't get me wrong, I love Langes. I guess I am just bummed/bitter that the 97 last does not have the ultragrip sole. I also think it is funny that the Rossi boot is also exactly the same but less expensive.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    This really shows how naive/uneducated/marketing duped buyers are when Lange markets the exact same boot (besides that one point made--thanks) to two different groups... ...I also think it is funny that the Rossi boot is also exactly the same but less expensive.

I really hope they never do that with their bindings...

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    How about the RX130 Pro..same boot but with replaceable soles.

I am actually strongly considering this boot (RS, I need planing) along with the new Tecnica Inferno.
    Phil, this site http://www.cantology.com might help you with alignment (planing)

coup

Viva- 97 width.
    Viva- very shaped/anatomical fitted last.
    Viva- solid sole.
    Viva- made in the best blended polyether materials.

I don't care what color or name it is this year. The feel of the way they ski, the power, the quickness, the steering control is like no other boot. Many have tried to copy the original.

First skied them in 93 after a friend told me to try them. They did not fit out of the box until worked on (most good boot fits don't, start small then grind/stretch them out), then they became magic once the shell shape matched my foot. Add good rigid orthotics and well made foam liners for the complete no slop 5 year fit.

Ferrari vs Fiat

anyone know the bsl on the 26.5 rx 130?
    60% of the time, it works every time.

Should be 306mm, but don't quote me on it. Going of Tahoe-rider's info.

Quote Originally Posted by Maker View Post
    anyone know the bsl on the 26.5 rx 130?
    I ordered the RX 130 in size 26 from Surefoot and was told it's a 308mm BSL. I checked this out because I was replacing FR 120s that had a 308mm BSL but I didn't know the size. SF also didn't have half-sizes. Hope this helps.