Looking for Seattle-ish Sub-Lease: Dec to...?

Moving to the Seattle area in December. Have my chick and two dogs (Husky and Pom) in tow.

Thinking a 3-6 month lease would be best until we get our bearings and figure out exactly what we want and where we want it.

If anyone has any suggestions or knows of something that might be available, you know where to find me.

Thanks!

Would also be interested to know the names of half decent apartment complexes in the area. Not looking for luxury, but I'm not down with rolling through the ghetto in my gore-tex either. Something decent $800/mo-ish.

Seattle's a big area...You have any idea of where you want to live? North? South? For the type of money you're talking about it might be tough to get a dog friendly place in the city. If you get a place out on the fringes it might be a little easier.

Quote Originally Posted by saukit View Post
    Seattle's a big area...You have any idea of where you want to live? North? South? For the type of money you're talking about it might be tough to get a dog friendly place in the city. If you get a place out on the fringes it might be a little easier.
    After some very helpful advice. We are looking north of the city. Possibly Fremont...Ballard, Magnolia.

Fremont...Ballard, Magnolia ... These neighbourhoods aren't north of the city; they're in the city ( north of downtown ). They're fairly expensive because they're in the city.

I think that you'll have problems finding a dog-friendly place for $800/month in the city itself. I'd guess that Ballard is your best bet for finding something in your price range. I definitely don't recommend that you live south of downtown, but that's another option if you are set on being in the city itself. There are worse parts and better parts in the south.

Otherwise, look for something in a suburb. Relative to the skiing, it won't make much difference where you live, unless you're talking about the difference between say Bellingham and Seattle or Tacoma and Seattle.

That said, if you're on a tight budget, you'll have to make some choices, right? The Seattle-Tacoma metro area is about 70 miles long ( from Tacoma to Everett ). All places in the metro area are approximately the same distance to great skiing *somewhere* in the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    Fremont...Ballard, Magnolia ... These neighbourhoods aren't north of the city; they're in the city ( north of downtown ). They're fairly expensive because they're in the city.

I think that you'll have problems finding a dog-friendly place for $800/month in the city itself. I'd guess that Ballard is your best bet for finding something in your price range. I definitely don't recommend that you live south of downtown, but that's another option if you are set on being in the city itself. There are worse parts and better parts in the south.

Otherwise, look for something in a suburb. Relative to the skiing, it won't make much difference where you live, unless you're talking about the difference between say Bellingham and Seattle or Tacoma and Seattle.

That said, if you're on a tight budget, you'll have to make some choices, right? The Seattle-Tacoma metro area is about 70 miles long ( from Tacoma to Everett ). All places in the metro area are approximately the same distance to great skiing *somewhere* in the mountains.
    Thanks for the help man. Honestly the only pinned down search que we have 99% decided on is we would prefer to be North of the city (or on the North end of the City) That said, we are considering options from North of the City, to as far North as Bellingham. Everett is on my list.

Yes we will be on a budget. Shannon enjoys the City, I would prefer to be further North into more suburban areas....like halfway between B-ham and Seattle proper? Maybe the dogs will be my excuse to look further out.

Honestly though, just stoked that she is as amp'd as I am to not have to fly 1500 miles to ski decent vertical. We are coming from Traverse City, MI. If you are familiar with TC, we would be most happy in a "suburb" of similar size.

I appreciate the dialogue!

-Regan

You should choose either Bellingham or Seattle, living between them would put you farther away from skiing than any other option. Bellingham is cheaper, but if your wife wants a big city it might not cut it. The neighborhoods you are talking about are the most expensive places in the city to live. Check out U district, Maple Leaf, Shorelne, Northgate and Lake City. These neighborhoods are all quite a bit cheaper. If you're willing to look south of the city or in the central district, rent is a lot cheaper. You don't have to be scared wearing your gore tex anywhere in the city. We don't really have ghettos or a gangster culture for the most part people are pretty low key here.

Quote Originally Posted by SamSkis View Post
    You should choose either Bellingham or Seattle, living between them would put you farther away from skiing than any other option. Bellingham is cheaper, but if your wife wants a big city it might not cut it. The neighborhoods you are talking about are the most expensive places in the city to live. Check out U district, Maple Leaf, Shorelne, Northgate and Lake City. These neighborhoods are all quite a bit cheaper. If you're willing to look south of the city or in the central district, rent is a lot cheaper. You don't have to be scared wearing your gore tex anywhere in the city. We don't really have ghettos or a gangster culture for the most part people are pretty low key here.

I agree for the most part, as I have never had a problem, but two of my friends have had their apartments broken into this year. One on 14th and union and one somewhere around Jefferson and 12th, not sure of the address.

Also have had a couple friends jumped and a and have two friends who have witnessed shootings (on different occasions, so 2 shootings)

Thats all capital hill area, I have never had a problem myself, but it is something to be aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by SamSkis View Post

I agree for the most part, as I have never had a problem, but two of my friends have had their apartments broken into this year. One on 14th and union and one somewhere around Jefferson and 12th, not sure of the address.

Also have had a couple friends jumped and a and have two friends who have witnessed shootings (on different occasions, so 2 shootings)

Thats all capital hill area, I have never had a problem myself, but it is something to be aware of.

mainly because you say 2 dogs....

Canyon creek apartments in bothell... closer to woodinville. I think you can do short term lease of six months? I stayed there with two huskies for under a grand a month. very close to freeways for commuting to city, or to hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Ale_capone View Post
    mainly because you say 2 dogs....

Canyon creek apartments in bothell... closer to woodinville. I think you can do short term lease of six months? I stayed there with two huskies for under a grand a month. very close to freeways for commuting to city, or to hills.
    Very helpful, thanks. Bothell is on my list. Will check out Canyon Creek apts.