Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Utah Drivers: Quit calling the cops on me

I'm really confused - I drive from SLC to Park City every day and never in my life has anyone accused me of being an aggressive driver, but I've been reported by angry citizens twice in the past week, both on the same stretch of 80 in Parley's Canyon.

The first one was a lady with a big Utah Highway Patrol sticker on the side of her Lexus (like 24" x 24" sticker). My boss and I were in the car and we both stared her down, but we were just trying to figure out if it was an unmarked car or not. We didn't pass on the right, we didn't make faces and we certainly didn't do anything reckless. She then starts flashing her headlights at me tails us all the way to our exit, then makes a point of writing down my plates and calling the cops then and there. She wouldn't talk to us though to let us know what pissed her off. I called the sheriff to ask if anyone had reported anything b/c it was so strange how angry she got - we were curious.

The second one was today - a forest service guy (in uniform, but in his Honda CRV) is doing 60 downhill in the left lane. I came up on him, got annoyed, then backed off and waited for an opening. He sat there staring me down in his side mirror and talking to me - who knows what he was saying but he was unhappy. When the chance arose, I passed him on the right. I gave him a big thumbs up as I went by (no finger), then he flipped out tailed me for a couple miles writing down my info and getting on his phone and shaking his fists at me.

So what's the deal with Utah drivers being retarded? Anyone else out there had this experience on that stretch of road? I'm sure plenty of Mags make that drive regularly. I'm new to Utah and I think I missed the memo about people calling the cops if you give them a dirty look. And - legal mags - any chance I could actually get in trouble from these people reporting whatever they are reporting about me?

utah drivers are retarded./thread
    Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on epicski or Paula's Ski Lovers, AltaNancy.

hmm, never had an issue, i'm at least a mildly aggressive driver but don't really do anything stupid. that sounds fucking ridiculous.

Hmmm...
    Maybe next time try wearing pants? YMMV

It's so hard to tell what really happened. You might be an angel, but something you did was clearly threatening to both of them. The forest service guy just noticed that you were behind him? Or did he think you rode right up his ass and was worried you were going to bump him? Did he get a real long hard look at your thumb as you gave him a Mr Rogers inocent as pie smile? Or do you have a manor that startled him as you flew past and he noticed in a blur that you were holding up a fist or finger?
    The old lady. You "stared her down"? Old ladies get scared when people stare them down. Especially if they're on the highway driving at speeds that scare them. Maybe she swerved a little, maybe you swerved a little, maybe she just had a feeling the cars got suddenly closer together. Either way, she could have perceived you as trying to spook her and maybe run her off the road.
    I work with a guy who's wife got fired from two different jobs in one year. Keeps going on about the assholes who are out to get her for no reason. Seriously. Who keeps getting fired like that? The guy just left his wife for the big tittied co-worker and now he's saying his wife is crazy?
    It's all a matter of perception. Hard to read this one.

Try wearing magical underwear. That should solve most / all of your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    It's so hard to tell what really happened. You might be an angel, but something you did was clearly threatening to both of them. The forest service guy just noticed that you were behind him? Or did he think you rode right up his ass and was worried you were going to bump him? Did he get a real long hard look at your thumb as you gave him a Mr Rogers inocent as pie smile? Or do you have a manor that startled him as you flew past and he noticed in a blur that you were holding up a fist or finger?
    The old lady. You "stared her down"? Old ladies get scared when people stare them down. Especially if they're on the highway driving at speeds that scare them. Maybe she swerved a little, maybe you swerved a little, maybe she just had a feeling the cars got suddenly closer together. Either way, she could have perceived you as trying to spook her and maybe run her off the road.
    I work with a guy who's wife got fired from two different jobs in one year. Keeps going on about the assholes who are out to get her for no reason. Seriously. Who keeps getting fired like that? The guy just left his wife for the big tittied co-worker and now he's saying his wife is crazy?
    It's all a matter of perception. Hard to read this one.
    I actually totally agree with you - and I've asked myself what I did in this case since I've never had on-road altercations in the past so two in one week has been surprising.

The forest service guy just noticed that you were behind him? Or did he think you rode right up his ass and was worried you were going to bump him?
    I did run up on him in hopes that he would move, but not close enough to make me nervous. But yes, I shouldn't have tried to motivate him to move over in this way, fine. Still don't think this merits calling the cops and taking my info, I get tailed 10 times a day.

Did he get a real long hard look at your thumb as you gave him a Mr Rogers inocent as pie smile? Or do you have a manor that startled him as you flew past and he noticed in a blur that you were holding up a fist or finger?
    I was being a smartass, but that isn't a crime either. I didn't even shoot him the bird (which isn't a crime), and I didn't fly past b/c he was already speeding up to try and chase me down. He saw a thumbs up for sure (which, to me, is actually a bit more annoying than the finger).

Maybe that helps you see that I'm legitimately confused. For god's sake, I called the Park City Sheriff to ask if anyone had reported me when we thought that the lady could be affiliated with the UHP. I mean, I was truly curious and knew that we had done nothing provocative... the sheriff said dont' worry about it that she's likely a crazy lady who donated some money and likes the sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Try wearing magical underwear. That should solve most / all of your problems.
    We did mention that it could be the fact that I have a hood ornament of the Angel Moroni being mounted by Joseph Smith on my car... but it's Park City, not Provo, right?

I have never had a problem before moving to utah, then in two winters and one summer I have been reported at least 4 times.

Once I accidentally touched someone's bumper with mine. They were stopped in traffic, I was going about a half a mile an hour. Dude saw me in his mirror, and didnt even bother to get out of the car. He looked pissed but didnt even roll down his window so when he drove off I did the same. Instead of talking with me, he had his buddy trail me to my friends house, then they lied and told the cops I was smoking pot. Cop sees there isnt even a scuff on the guys shiny chrome bumper, also notices these assholes are angry and annoying, and I was calm, so he just tells them to leave, and says that we're done here.

Once they just straight up lied to the cops and made up stuff.

The other two times the complaint was that I crossed a double yellow line. That doesnt mean passed on a double yellow, that just means I crossed it during a turn.

People need to get a life and stop fucking with mine.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

I didn't really think you were being an ass.
    But I remember the few times people have road raged on me. Usually it's because I saw them coming up from way back driving like assholes and I thought I was making pretty good time in my lane, so when they got on my ass I held firm. I've had big compensating pickups pass me in the motor cycles only non-existent third middle lane between two cars, brake check me after finally getting by or do the agro swerve into half of my lane move. It's pretty freaky and it's always a big pickup. And it always leaves me kind of warry of anyone lookng road rage-ish for some time afterward. Now imagine a little old lady or little old USFS guy who's all butthurt about other drivers and hyper sensitive. You were probably the average East Coast/Midwest semi-aggressive transplant driver perfectly within the law and you freaked their shit out over basically nothing. Wrong place wrong time, less polite than your average LDS or Canadian driving that road.

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderkind View Post
    We did mention that it could be the fact that I have a hood ornament of the Angel Moroni being mounted by Joseph Smith on my car... but it's Park City, not Provo, right?
    hahaha seriously? where do i get one of those?

WTF are the cops gonna do? It's the complainer's word against yours. Let 'em call the cops. Without a cop to witness the supposed deed it doesn't mean shit.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    WTF are the cops gonna do? It's the complainer's word against yours. Let 'em call the cops. Without a cop to witness the supposed deed it doesn't mean shit.
    I am not sure about Utah, but in CO a complaint can lead to a ticket, which you can fight in court. There is some dude in Aspen who has filed 13 complaints against drivers for failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk. Two cases went to trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    I am not sure about Utah, but in CO a complaint can lead to a ticket, which you can fight in court. There is some dude in Aspen who has filed 13 complaints against drivers for failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk. Two cases went to trial.
    I respect that guy. One of my biggest pet peeves is cars not yielding to pedestrians in parking lots, crosswalks, and the such. So dangerous. I was pretty lucky that I ended up on the hood of a car not under it the one time someone cali rolled a stop sign when I was directly in front of him on foot. Now I always yell at those dumb ass drivers "I am a pedestrian, you yield to me!"
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Now I always yell at those dumb ass drivers "I am a pedestrian, you yield to me!"
    Perhaps if you just carried a sign around that explianed that you're a self righteous douchbag, you wouldn't have to yell at people.

/wondering if the OP is Black.

You were probably the average East Coast/Midwest semi-aggressive transplant driver perfectly within the law and you freaked their shit out over basically nothing. Wrong place wrong time, less polite than your average LDS or Canadian driving that road.
    I'd put my money on this one. I moved to UT from DC recently, and there's much less need to drive, ahem... assertively here. DC metro area drivers are a special blend of stupid AND aggressive; in UT they're just stupid**.

** Of course, there's a few fucktards too - self-important Infiniti/BMW drivers, Camry/Civic drivers who have watched too much "2 Fast 2 Furious", and minivans piloted by angry, angry men.

Try Utah County! I love to give the thumbs up to left lane bandits.

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderkind View Post
    I'm really confused - I drive from SLC to Park City every day and never in my life has anyone accused me of being an aggressive driver, but I've been reported by angry citizens twice in the past week, both on the same stretch of 80 in Parley's Canyon....

... So what's the deal with Utah drivers being retarded? Anyone else out there had this experience on that stretch of road? I'm sure plenty of Mags make that drive regularly. I'm new to Utah and I think I missed the memo about people calling the cops if you give them a dirty look. And - legal mags - any chance I could actually get in trouble from these people reporting whatever they are reporting about me?

Dude, try driving in WMass... Here they just attempt to run you off the road, try to fistfight you at the next light or start throwing shit at your car instead of calling the cops... And that's after THEY cut you off with no blinker because they were on the phone or texting and you tooted at them to remind them you are in fact right there and would love to continue breathing. Shit is absofuckingloutely bonkers in Springfield. I've never seen anything like it anywhere. Angrist people in general I've ever encountered for sure.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWIwmtj1IyY&feature=related"]YouTube - Subaru Impreza WRX with License Plate Hidden Kit[/nomedia]

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    /wondering if the OP is Black.
    or a shirtless tattooed, flat brimmed sideways wearing, pierced face punk

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Dude, try driving in WMass... Here they just attempt to run you off the road, try to fistfight you at the next light or start throwing shit at your car instead of calling the cops... And that's after THEY cut you off with no blinker because they were on the phone or texting and you tooted at them to remind them you are in fact right there and would love to continue breathing. Shit is absofuckingloutely bonkers in Springfield. I've never seen anything like it anywhere. Angrist people in general I've ever encountered for sure.
    sunday, south end bridge rotary, douche tried to pass on the right and got stuck behind a truck. I head out 57, the douche catches up to the truck and cuts him off by driving from the right lane-right across the trucks front bumper. I saw him do it in my mirror. Then he sped up to me and pulled the same shit. then he slowed down when he exited and flipped me off. I smiled at him and waved.

is it a law in NY to not let fast traffic by in the passing lane?

Were you in the car full of shirtless skinhead-types who recently held a knife up and made threatening gestures to me as I was driving down Parley's (and then proceeded to fly down the canyon with your stupid friends hanging 3/4 of their bodies out the window)? If so, I really wanted to call UHP on you, but did not know the number and did not think it was worth 911.

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Ha, I think you're right! Coming back from VT (Magic, I think) one time last year I got on 91 off Route 2 and as I was passing slower cars coming from the same ramp this dude in a little red Toyota gets on my ass (he had also been behind me on the ramp). I was already going about 10 over the speed limit, so I finished passing as he starts flashing his high beams and then he flips me off after I got in the right lane. About 60 seconds later I ended up going by him (left lane traffic slowed him down) so he shoots in behind me, right on my bumper, and then I noticed he was wearing a cop/firefighter type shirt. He stayed behind me and made a big show of talking on his radio or cell phone before flying by me again (I think he was pretending to report me). Then I saw he was just a firefighter, but I was legitimately worried he was some off-duty cop calling his buddies in to stop me.

Weird people.
    [quote][//quote]

I didn't really think you were being an ass.
    But I remember the few times people have road raged on me. Usually it's because I saw them coming up from way back driving like assholes and I thought I was making pretty good time in my lane, so when they got on my ass I held firm.
    If you're in the left lane 'holding firm' then I understand them getting pissed at you (not swerving toward you or suddenly decelerating in front of you, but being pissed). Even if I'm in the middle lane and someone is going faster behind me I'll move over if there's space.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    he starts flashing his high beams and then he flips me off after I got in the right lane.
    he was just a firefighter, but I was legitimately worried he was some off-duty cop calling his buddies in to stop me.
    SO PEOPLE THINK YOU'RE A DOUCHENOZZLE IRL TOO EH?
    Hey d-bag - here's something for you to think about: maybe (just maybe) not everybody here has their little panties in a wad 24/7 and flies into a rage whenever somebody disagrees with them. Maybe these same mags don't take this place uber-seriously. Maybe this even includes the vast majority of the people who post here as opposed to you and like 20 other thin-skinned douchebags. Just something to think about. -JER