Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Can you order the 27.0, take both to a boot fitter, see what he says, and return the one that doesn't fit? I think my tlt5p came with a shim you can place under the liner to reduce volume, if the 27.0 is the right length but too high volume. Also, a quick fix to give you more length is to install a heel lifter. You can also punch for length but these boots are very delicate so find a competent fitter and better yet avoid punching if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    TLT 5P's arrived last night. It sure is an incredible boot, but not sure I need something so high tech. I am still waiting for Maestrale's to arrive.

I am unsure of the fit. In the past I had G-rides in 26.5 stock liners and they were too small. Adrenalin's at 27.0 Power wrap liners and they were a good fit. I currently have Aero's 27.0 with power wraps (I also tried them on with stock liners), and they are way too big. So big even with thick power wrap liiners that I have poor control. So I ordered TLT's in 26.5, and they seem just a tad too small (I have not baked them since I maybe returning them.) The shell fit is 1 1/2 fingers, but I have skinny fingers, so they maybe closer to one finger. Buckled up in skin mode and with a little forward flex my toes do not touch, but in walk mode they feel too short and push on my big toe a good bit. I would consider this a good race fit in an Alpine boot, but an concerned about too much toe bang in walk mode. The fit across the midfoot is sung, but not painful, so I assume baking will resolve that from all I have read here. Obviously my big concern is if I go to a 27.0 shell it will be too big like my current Dynafit Aero's.

Wearing these things are pretty incredible, and the people who say they are like wearing slippers are damn near spot on.

Cross post from gear swap. I decided to go with maestrale's, so the TLTs are going back unlessmsomeone wants them. New, with box, tags et al.
    These are going back to the store because they are too small, but I thought I would offer them up since I got the at a good price. I'll wait a few days before sending them back.

$657.45 (what I paid for them) plus shipping

They are normally a grand, plus tax, but if you want to save the tax if you are outside of California you can wait and buy them after I send them back, i.e. $600.

Edit to add...size 26.5 which is the same shell as 26.0
    Last edited by hutash; 06-09-2011 at 11:04 PM.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I have a question for the collective of TLT5-P adopters. (I have read this entire tread as well as a bunch of other posts elsewhere on the webz, but couldn't find the kind of answer I was looking for, especially from folks with real mileage on the boots). What is the consensus on how wide of a ski these boots can drive ? Obviously a lot of variables involved (conditions, skier weight, ski length, style...), but what do you think the upper limit is ? Lightweight powder boards ok ? Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboy View Post
    I have a question for the collective of TLT5-P adopters. (I have read this entire tread as well as a bunch of other posts elsewhere on the webz, but couldn't find the kind of answer I was looking for, especially from folks with real mileage on the boots). What is the consensus on how wide of a ski these boots can drive ? Obviously a lot of variables involved (conditions, skier weight, ski length, style...), but what do you think the upper limit is ? Lightweight powder boards ok ? Cheers.
    I've used them on skis measuring 130-105-121 regularly, in lots of variable conditions. I almost always have the tongues in on the downhill, but feel that they do just fine. I'm 5'10, 155, and while it is certainly possible to overpower them, I don't think it has to do with the size of the ski. The angle took a bit of getting used to for me, however.

TLT5 Mtn minor failure: The frontmost rivet on the proto bellows broke. Don't know how or when it happened. I noticed it while skinning up Vesper Peak on Friday. I may try a DIY fix.

oldboy, how big a ski can be driven by a TLT5 is more about the skier than the width of the ski. My TLT5 Mtn is sufficient for me to ski every ski I've ever owned. FYI, I'm 6'2", 240 (more on mid-winter trips )

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    oldboy, how big a ski can be driven by a TLT5 is more about the skier than the width of the ski. My TLT5 Mtn is sufficient for me to ski every ski I've ever owned. FYI, I'm 6'2", 240 (more on mid-winter trips )
    What kind of snow you get to ski generally? Uhmerica fluffy powpow?

Just that I have been thinkin about the TLT5s a lot, but this season has kind of put a damper on the idea.

Honestly, I have skied the worst possible snow on all of my trips this season... I mean,the kind of stuff that the legends are made of.
    You know, not just the normal euro shitshow x 5, but found new kind of snow types as well : Breakable slush, sticky glue, graupel cartong,icy ice, velcro powder etc...
    The horror,the horror.
    Felt at times that my quadrants (with extra shims) were flexing and bending the shit out of them, and were thinking how the hell the TLT5s would have handled the snow?

What kind of experiences have you guys had on the not-so-optimal snow? I know that adjusting the technique makes a hell of a difference...but...
    Curious.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Just that I have been thinkin about the TLT5s a lot, but this season has kind of put a damper on the idea.
    Ha, this season has actually made me think to get a pair of TLT5s (pretty good price @ T-P, at the moment) and also get a "skinny" dynafit rig... By skinny, I mean something around 100mm in ze waist. But I'll still be mostly skiing with free heels.

The added bonus of the TLT5 for me is that they are supposed to be pretty good for straight ice climbing, and they are warmer than my present boots. So they'll double up as ice climbing boots (and colder weather mountaineering).
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

dunno about TLT5P, but the time me and others tried the TLT5M we found a limit with >100m skis

I'm probably the worst skier here (seriously!) and have no trouble with TLT5M on 100mm waist skis (BD Drift).

Quote Originally Posted by dauwhe View Post
    I'm probably the worst skier here (seriously!) and have no trouble with TLT5M on 100mm waist skis (BD Drift).
    No doubt ( ) but what kind of stuff you ski? I have absolutely no doubt that the TLT5s can ski boot deep pow on a sunny day, but the problem is I do not know how they ski shit.
    Shit, that I,without doubt, will ski most of the time. So,peeps, could you give some pointers what skis you ski and where!
    Would help a ton with the decision if to blow 600€ on some slippers or not..

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

If you're worried about skiing shitty snow in Quadrants, you'll probably ski it worse in TLT 5's. Not because of lack of stiffness, but lack of mass.

You'll get up there to ski it faster, though.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Opinions seem to differ somewhat, but that is exactly what I was looking for: real world impression on what the boot does (or doesn't do) on snow.

skied 90 plus days in the boots, carbon..

skied 167 baker slights, and 182 stokes, no tongue, can't seem to be bothered..

i ski some weird snow in the adk's, and anywhere really.

lean forward, be confident, and enjoy the ride of wacky shit in fucked up snow. whatever..

i (165lbs, 5'9") skied (w/ tongue) the tlt5p on 175cm bd carbon justices (138-111-123) for much of this winter and thought it was a sweet JH powder skiing set up. for me, i can deal with the limits of using a light boot...or at least this light boot in particular. no doubt, if you commit to the tlt5s...you will become a better skier.

intuitions beef up the tlt5ps a bit. i use the alpine wrap (being discontinued?), which isn't as restrictive in walk mode as the power wrap versions, but still gives that nice wrap feeling i'm addicted to.

i also popped a few of the rivets on the proto bellows. pretty easy and cheap fix though...and they are bomber now. a couple of the powerstrap rivets pulled though the webbing strap too...still working on the best/lightest fix for this. (thinking of dremmeling out some slots in the cuff to weave the strap through, but not sure how it would effect the carbon.) don't know if others have seen this, but i recommend not carrying the tlt5s by the straps.
    Teton AT
    Live to Ski!

We live in PNW and ski lots o' shit. As Greg says, TLT5's are stiff enough, but they lack ballast so they get bounced around, especially with light skis. OTOH, less mass makes them easier to get out of the snow when you gotta do that.

Quote Originally Posted by randosteve View Post
    no doubt, if you commit to the tlt5s...you will become a better skier.
    This is the bottom line. I thought I was a technically proficient, centered skier before, but the TLT 5 P has forced me to hone my skills. The difference between this boot and others I've owned in its weight class (last example being 2 pair of F1's) is that it is possible to use the TLT 5 as your primary winter boot and be happy with and confident in your skiing on a day-to-day basis.

When will TLT5 performances in 27.5 be available?

Hello,

I tried some on last year and the 27.5 fit me fine. I would love to get my hands on some for this upcoming season. Everybody is sold out of the 27.5's, including Telemark Pyrenees.

So just wondering when shops will be getting in their winter supply.

Thanks

Anyone seen info on the womens version supposed to be out this year?

Is it essentially like mountain version with wider forefoot and lower cuff.
    And cos its important to better half what about color?

Was a pic on wildsnow awhile back but believe backcountry mag showed diff color.

thx

Quote Originally Posted by Adog1 View Post
    Hello,

I tried some on last year and the 27.5 fit me fine. I would love to get my hands on some for this upcoming season. Everybody is sold out of the 27.5's, including Telemark Pyrenees.

So just wondering when shops will be getting in their winter supply.

Thanks

pretty sure telemark pyrenees had 27.5 in stock (and cheap) a bout a week ago

I would like to add a booster strap to my boot, but since I'm a little new at the boot modification area so I have a dumb, albeit quick question. How do you remove the rivet from the existing strap? Do you have the cut off the dynafit logo to access the front of the rivet? Thanks for any help.

The stock strap is held in place at the rear of the cuff with two screw rivets. Very easy to unscrew, then install whatever other strap you want to use.

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    I would like to add a booster strap to my boot, but since I'm a little new at the boot modification area so I have a dumb, albeit quick question. How do you remove the rivet from the existing strap? Do you have the cut off the dynafit logo to access the front of the rivet? Thanks for any help.
    On the mountain version just cut off the rubber dynafit logo and you will have good access to drill out the rivet.

For follow up to my questions...for the Mountain version I had to cut off the dynafit logo and then used a pair of pliers to pop of the single rivet that held on the strap. I then used a rivet gun to attach the new strap using the existing hole - no problem after three tours/ski this past week.

Quote Originally Posted by randosteve View Post
    intuitions beef up the tlt5ps a bit. i use the alpine wrap (being discontinued?), which isn't as restrictive in walk mode as the power wrap versions, but still gives that nice wrap feeling i'm addicted to.
    Steve and anyone else,

How did you end up sizing the intuition liner with the tlt5 shell? I like the idea of the wrap as long as it still provide a good ROM/walk mode. If I understand the post from your website, if I have 28.5 TLT5 then a size 28 liner would be the appropriate size? Thanks.

K, not sure if this helps, but I have a 27.0 shell and went with a 26.0 pro tour. For most boots, people recommend sizing the Intuition liner up a size, but the the fit of the tlt5 is so tight, u want a thiner liner, so u size down. This according to Cosmo the bootfitter in Truckee, and I am very happy with my tlt5/pro tour after being in them for a season.