Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Thanks Federico, great info!

Quote Originally Posted by Federico View Post
    So even if the boots can drive without any problem even the fattest skis it make no sense to compare it with a pair of TITAN, BD FACTOR, and so on... it's simply a non sense because those boots are double weight.
    Also talking about flex index is no sense... because flex index is pure marketing, there is no standard norms to calculate that number so eveything you read around several forums trying to compare boots on that number is just bull shit...
    Especially when talking about ski boots with a ski walk mechanism it's not possible to have a comparison with alpine ski boots with solid cuff/shell construction...
    40% stiffer with the carbon cuff? good to hear!

without giving a 'flex index', can you compare the stiffness(carbon cuff version) to other boots (titan, factor, etc)? I understand that they are not meant to compete head to head as they were designed for a radically different purpose, but just humor me. As much as these boots specs rock for the uphill, after you top out on a gnarly peak you still have to get down alive.

Just because I do not think it has been stressed enough - one of the huge benefits of carbon is that it is incredibly stiff. In fact an entirely carbon boot would have not flex. So there will be a huge difference between the carbon and non-carbon version of this boot. And yes for both the weight difference and the flex difference, the carbon is completely worth the extra dough. Carbon is the future of ski boots. Have carbon boots on your feet even once, and you will understand this.

I have last year's DNA race boot and would say that it is at least as stiff as my Spirit3s. The skiing performance is on a whole different level than an F1. Having tongues in the boot would jump that up a notch.

So if you are looking for an all-around backcountry ski mountaineering boot at half the weight of other boots, I don't think there is anything better. If you are looking for a side-country boot, this would not be the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by mc_roon View Post
    without giving a 'flex index', can you compare the stiffness(carbon cuff version) to other boots (titan, factor, etc)?
    Exactly what I am looking for too.

Do want very badly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

I've heard from a number of sources the TLT5 is about, but not quite, as stiff as the Zzer0. That makes it somewhere between a spirit 3 and a spirit 4, somewhere between a radium and a megaride, and probably plenty of meat for skiing good snow--pow, corn, smooth chalk--at any speed with control and power, and enough juice to ski bad snow--breakable crust, deep slop, ice--in relative safety. This is a touring boot, not a crossover boot, so don't expect it to slay the ice bumps or the sun-affected chop at the resort, and they should meet your needs.

There's no way they'll be as stiff as a Factor or a Titan; Dynafit has suggested as much in their own statements regarding this boot. These boots will not drive your race skis the way you want them to. BTW, I believe the new TGR poster "Federico" works for Dynafit. So you could probably consider his take on "facts" regarding the specs of the TLT5 definitive, if his opinions regarding his performance might be a little biased.

I too wanty.
    Last edited by Christopher3000; 09-21-2010 at 10:44 AM.

Initially I was thinking of getting the Mountain version, but after so much positive discussion about the Performance, I'll probably be getting those instead.

You just cost me $250 more dollars Federico!

And by the way, bc.com is going to carry them this winter. They will be in stock in 2-3 weeks time. Just a PSA.

It will not be honest and respectfull with the other brands from my side if I do a comparison like you asked.

What I'm quite confident in promising you... is that if you ski more than 1.000meter vertical up... one day with one of the boots you mentioned and 3 days after with the same ski/binding setting and the same snow condition on a TLT5 Performance ... you will surely ski A LOT better with the TLT5 as you will reach the top much much much less tired...

If you're doing mainly side country of a few hundreds meeters of climb you will still prefer Titan/Factor and so on.. .as the TLT5 is not ment for side country purpose...

Quote Originally Posted by mc_roon View Post
    40% stiffer with the carbon cuff? good to hear!

without giving a 'flex index', can you compare the stiffness(carbon cuff version) to other boots (titan, factor, etc)? I understand that they are not meant to compete head to head as they were designed for a radically different purpose, but just humor me. As much as these boots specs rock for the uphill, after you top out on a gnarly peak you still have to get down alive.

I think it's not really a secret that I work for Dynafit, sometimes when it's getting too late in the office to work properly, I enjoy posting some comments on skiers blogs ;-) I think I posted alredy on TGR some time ago but I forgot the old username pwd
    I post sometime on Wildsnow or anywhere I read interesting discussions with many question marks and un-clear answer.

I can tell you that all of the "sources" you mentioned never skied the final version of the boots as for the moment there are only 4 around and also that the final version is improved from the test gears realized for some dealers and for trade fair testing.

As regards the Specs you are right, you can consider what I wrote as definitive... as regards performance there is not so much to "biase" as I didn't made on purpose any comparison with other boots/brands or promising crazy things... flex index and so on...
    I just said that the TLT5 performance can really drive most of the skis out there and that it will be really surprising once tried on the snow considering the superior agility and the low weight...

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher3000 View Post
    I've heard from a number of sources the TLT5 is about, but not quite, as stiff as the Zzer0. That makes it somewhere between a spirit 3 and a spirit 4, somewhere between a radium and a megaride, and probably plenty of meat for skiing good snow--pow, corn, smooth chalk--at any speed with control and power, and enough juice to ski bad snow--breakable crust, deep slop, ice--in relative safety. This is a touring boot, not a crossover boot, so don't expect it to slay the ice bumps or the sun-affected chop at the resort, and they should meet your needs.

There's no way they'll be as stiff as a Factor or a Titan; Dynafit has suggested as much in their own statements regarding this boot. These boots will not drive your race skis the way you want them to. BTW, I believe the new TGR poster "Federico" works for Dynafit. So you could probably consider his take on "facts" regarding the specs of the TLT5 definitive, if his opinions regarding his performance might be a little biased.

I too wanty.

Federico,

Maybe you can answer a question for me: Why doesn't dynafit sell more clothing in the U.S?

Dynafit makes such great stuff, I'd like to buy more but is nearly impossible to find here.

BTW, I believe the new TGR poster "Federico" works for Dynafit. So you could probably consider his take on "facts" regarding the specs of the TLT5 definitive, if his opinions regarding his performance might be a little biased.

I too wanty.
    I don't think Christopher is implying this but I do want to clear something up. Federico does work for Dynafit. He's posted in gear reviews I have done for Wildsnow and clearly disclosed this. I would view his postings here as a valuable resource. I am not making excuses or speaking for Federico but I think that not disclosing that he works for Dynafit is perhaps an honest mistake and oversight and not emblematic of something sinister.

Again, I am not saying that Christopher is saying this - just pointing out that I've had good honest input from Federico in the past and hope to in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by EvelKnievel View Post
    And by the way, bc.com is going to carry them this winter. They will be in stock in 2-3 weeks time. Just a PSA.
    Ouch! My wallet just took a beating! How can I pull this off?!

These boots look awesome. Will need to sell lots of old gear to make this purchase happen but sounds like it would be worth it!
    The Passion is in the Risk

I'm now sufficiently interested in the TLT5 that I'll request a pair to test. for reference I'll try them on TMex's & older BD foam core Verdicts but am reluctant to try them on Megawatts.

I've toured with people who've skied some pretty amazing things on DNA's. But without personal experience of the DNAs and TLT5s I'm reluctant to offer opinion

I've heard from a number of sources the TLT5 is about, but not quite, as stiff as the Zzer0. That makes it somewhere between a spirit 3 and a spirit 4, somewhere between a radium and a megaride,
    Is this the carbon version that you are speaking of?

Still torn between getting a tlt 5 carbon and keeping my downhill setup, or just going to a one boot quiver with the titans...

flex index is not everything in a ski boot, there is much more. And, BTW, a 100% carbon boot will have the highest flex index you can dream of, but then on the slopes I am not sure everyone will enjoy it.
    TLT5 might be similar to zzero in the flex index, but - at least in the shop, when I tried them - the lateral control looks much more promising.
    And yes, federico is in dynafit and a precious source of insight in many ski forums.

good question!!... hard to answer, it's a mix of reasons...

- Fitting, very tight and very "unusual" for north american market
    - Price... most of the items are too expensive compared the north american brands
    - It's difficult to enter shops in the country on clothing... the entry barrier is extremely hard... the dealers doesn't need and doesn't want new brands to sell...
    - Anyway the target is to grow in the next years!..

Federico,

Maybe you can answer a question for me: Why doesn't dynafit sell more clothing in the U.S?

Dynafit makes such great stuff, I'd like to buy more but is nearly impossible to find here.

In the shops you could have tried on the Mountain version, the performance is not delivered yet!... you will find quite some difference when you try that out.

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    flex index is not everything in a ski boot, there is much more. And, BTW, a 100% carbon boot will have the highest flex index you can dream of, but then on the slopes I am not sure everyone will enjoy it.
    TLT5 might be similar to zzero in the flex index, but - at least in the shop, when I tried them - the lateral control looks much more promising.
    And yes, federico is in dynafit and a precious source of insight in many ski forums.

I think I am sold on the tlt 5 performance. Could be a great all around AT boot for a smaller guy used to skiing inbounds on softer AT boots. Then just have a downhill boot for resort use.

In the shops you could have tried on the Mountain version, the performance is not delivered yet!... you will find quite some difference when you try that out.
    sure I tried the mountain. I'm not so keen to stiff boots or steep couloirs, so guess I do not need the performance.

yeah, if the boot is everything it is promised im sold.

please god let it fit my feet...

Carbon has the added benefit of retaining its stiff flex in warm weather. This could be an awesome spring and summer ski boot

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I'm now sufficiently interested in the TLT5 that I'll request a pair to test. for reference I'll try them on TMex's & older BD foam core Verdicts but am reluctant to try them on Megawatts.
    sweet, your reviews are among the best on the net when it comes to ski gear.

out of curiosity, why no megawatts? You know people here will be probably be using TLT5s on skis that wide and wider, represent one of your target audiences

Quote Originally Posted by samthaman View Post
    This could be an awesome spring and summer ski boot
    The DyNA already has been an awesome spring and summer ski boot.
    The TLT5 Performance will be an awesome ski boot, w/o any necessary further clarification. (Well, okay, if it fits your foot...)

Jesus, I better start saving.

Federico,

good question!!... hard to answer, it's a mix of reasons...

- Fitting, very tight and very "unusual" for north american market
    [...]
    Federico, it's okay, you can just go ahead and call U.S. ski tourers fat -- we know.
    Seriously though, based on Lou's descriptions and some of the pictures, reminds me of my MontBell insulated pieces, which are very nice, but not exactly tailored to the general population...