School me on DSLR sensor cleaning

Have you done it? I've got a kit to do it, but I'm a little apprehensive. I'm sure it'll be fine, but I really don't wanna fuck up my sensor. Any suggestions? Any good tutorials out there? Yeah, I know google is my friend, but fuck it, Mags are cooler.

TIA.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork
    Well we really came up with jong because it was becoming work to call all the johnny-come-lately whiny twats like yourself ball-licking, dick-shitting, butthole-surfing, manyon-sniffing, fotch-fanagling, duck butter spreading, sheep fucking, whiny, pissant, entitled, PMSing, baby dicked, pizza-frenchfrying, desk jockeying flacid excuses for misguided missles of butthurt specifically. That and JONG is just fun to say.
    the-one-track-mind

The Giotto rocket blower thingy works for me. I have the small one and it fits in my Pelican case along with everything else. Don't leave home w/o it.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

80 grit sandpaper or steel wool

^what he said

The sensor is covered by a soft piece of glass that is fused to the sensor itself.
    Clean it like you would a soft piece of glass and you will be fine.

That being said, 95% of the time a good puff of air has taken care of the 'dirt' on my sensor. Try that before you do a wet clean..
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

Get the Giotto rocket blower. Try it first. I've heard about problems with other blowers spewing out junk. Stick with the Giotto.

80 grit sandpaper FTW!!!!

Thanks for the heads up guys. The kit I have is a wet clean kit, but I definitely would feel better using compressed air.
    Well we really came up with jong because it was becoming work to call all the johnny-come-lately whiny twats like yourself ball-licking, dick-shitting, butthole-surfing, manyon-sniffing, fotch-fanagling, duck butter spreading, sheep fucking, whiny, pissant, entitled, PMSing, baby dicked, pizza-frenchfrying, desk jockeying flacid excuses for misguided missles of butthurt specifically. That and JONG is just fun to say.
    the-one-track-mind

Hugh Conway Guest
    In order:
    -air
    -brush
    -wet clean with high grade isopropanol
    -wet clean with high grade acetone

the sensor is covered with an anti-alias filter, a coated piece of glass. Reasonably robust as those things go. If you fuck up the filter, or want an IR camera, you can buy replacements here:
    http://www.lifepixel.com/shop/cart.php

Quote Originally Posted by pbourdon View Post
    80 grit sandpaper FTW!!!!

Thanks for the heads up guys. The kit I have is a wet clean kit, but I definitely would feel better using compressed air.

You don't want to use compressed air. Stick with the rocket blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Todds View Post
    You don't want to use compressed air. Stick with the rocket blower.
    Right on...thought they were the same thing. Haven't ordered/bought either yet.
    the-one-track-mind

1) Spray
    2) Swipe
    3)Pray
    4)Send to Canon

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    1) Spray
    2) Swipe
    3)Pray
    4)Send to Canon
    Say, do you have the address for Canon? Since I got a Nikon, it didn't come with Canon's sensor cleaning service address. I'd really appreciate it.

It's really not that bad. I use two different methods.

First, I pretty much use a Giotto Rocket once a week. I have found that if you stay on top blowing off your sensor you don't need to swipe it with a wet kit as often.

But, the time comes when the Giotto just doesn't cut it. Then I use the Copper Hill cleaning kit. http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=tutorials

The key with cleaning you sensor is that you are in a place where it won't get more dust on the sensor while cleaning. No fans, closed windows/doors, no dogs, clean table, clean hands. Seriously, I wear latex gloves so that I don't get any oil on the PecPads.

I have a static brush too, but have found that a Giotto blower works as well as the brush.

Finally, I have heard mixed reviews about Canon's cleaning service. A few people have told me that their sensor came back dirtier than it was before they sent it in. Personally, I think that sensor cleaning is far too common (and easy) to need to send away to Canon.

Thanks for the heads up on the Giotto to all that recommended it. Got mine today and it looks like it did the trick. For what its worth, I should have some pics up from the second portion of my [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199104"]summer trip[/ame] soon. School has started though, and free time isn't what it was a couple of weeks ago.

Last semester though, and then its on to CO!
    the-one-track-mind

Quote Originally Posted by aj_77 View Post
    It's really not that bad. I use two different methods.

First, I pretty much use a Giotto Rocket once a week. I have found that if you stay on top blowing off your sensor you don't need to swipe it with a wet kit as often.

But, the time comes when the Giotto just doesn't cut it. Then I use the Copper Hill cleaning kit. http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=tutorials

The key with cleaning you sensor is that you are in a place where it won't get more dust on the sensor while cleaning. No fans, closed windows/doors, no dogs, clean table, clean hands. Seriously, I wear latex gloves so that I don't get any oil on the PecPads.

I have a static brush too, but have found that a Giotto blower works as well as the brush.

Finally, I have heard mixed reviews about Canon's cleaning service. A few people have told me that their sensor came back dirtier than it was before they sent it in. Personally, I think that sensor cleaning is far too common (and easy) to need to send away to Canon.
    This shit freaked me out. Seriously? Once a week. Seems like everywhere else I've ever seen recommends you stay the hell away from the sensor unless there's an emergency. Wow. And you're like, a pro and shit.

They tell you not to touch it. The Rocket just blows air on it - no scratches.

Seriously - if you don't have one of these get it immediately.

BTW, in case it hasn't been mentioned yet/before: the reason the Rocket is better than compressed air is because the canned air gets COLD when it expands (is used.) That cold can actually damage your sensor and the coatings on the glass protecting the sensor if you don't know how to use canned air - short quick puffs.

I also use a Lenspen Sensor-Klear when shit just gets too stuck for the blower. If you have a light touch this thing works wonders:

It's basically the same as the standard Lenspen except with a triangular head (vs Round) to get into the corners.A quick swipe with that thing followed by a few puffs from the rocket and you're done. No liquids to spill, no swabs to keep dust free/clean/tote. Me likey.
    Last edited by Tippster; 09-23-2010 at 10:35 AM.

dont trust myself with not fucking up my sensor...worth the $60 to take it in for a cleaning by someone that knows exactly what they're doing.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

But my camera does that vibrating thing. Isn't that supposed to clean it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathematics View Post
    dont trust myself with not fucking up my sensor...worth the $60 to take it in for a cleaning by someone that knows exactly what they're doing.
    I don't think you can do any harm with the rocket blower. Just follow camera instructions for locking the mirror up and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    They tell you not to touch it. The Rocket just blows air on it - no scratches....use a Lenspen Sensor-Klear when shit just gets too stuck for the blower. If you have a light touch this thing works wonders:

It's basically the same as the standard Lenspen except with a triangular head (vs Round) to get into the corners.A quick swipe with that thing followed by a few puffs from the rocket and you're done. No liquids to spill, no swabs to keep dust free/clean/tote. Me likey.
    Lenspen rocks. Went into the shop recently for the smaller version, and was told they don't sell them on purpose because they don't trust their clients to use them properly. Or they're going for the service fee, but they didn't say that...

Although I did recently get a dslr, I still have my p&s canon sx210is that's great for super small packable to take acceptable pics for memories vs super high end photos. I think I probably bought it for a bit under $300, and have about 15,000 clicks on it. Appears to have dust on sensor, or inside of lens. Called local reputable camera shop and they said they would clean it for $75, but said the screws are epoxied in and it's kind of a chore and a little risky. Said I might want to just put the money towards a new p&s. Ideas?
    Pay them
    Just deal with spots and remove in photoshop if super nice image
    Try to fix it at home