Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Elkhound Odin lost his Powder

When we were living in Chestnut Hill, Phila, Joan wanted a fluffy white dog. We found a breeder in NE Phila with a litter of American Eskimo dogs being raised by a couple little girls after the pup’s mother was hit by a car. We selected a middle of the pack pup and named him Powder. He quickly marked Joan as his new mother when he simultaneously puked & pooped on her on the drive home. Powder became a proficient rabbit chaser at our new home in Bucks County, PA. After he caught and killed a bunny, the rest of the rabbits got the message and left our yard for a less stressful environment. Powder spent many days just laying in the grass next to Joan while she tended her flower garden.

We moved to Colorado in 2002 when Powder was 5yrs old. He was a tough dog, or so we thought. His first mountain hike was Mt Audubon. He easily managed the climb up, but on the descent, he refused to come down, he just sat there looking sad with a paw in the air. The top section to the summit was a bit steep & rocky, so I carried him down. When I placed him on the ground I discovered my shirt blood stained and Powder’s paws shredded. Since he could not walk, I put him in my backpack and carried him the 4 miles back to the car. After that, he wore booties.

Powder & Joan on Bierstadt

Powder & Chris on Quandry

Powder enjoyed being outdoors. His most favorite place of all was the dog park at Chatfield State park. Any time we said “dog park”, he was instantly excited and would keep barking until he got in the car. He liked to bark; mostly at people, just to say “HI”. He would always run up to friends and strangers for attention. He especially liked little girls, and they loved touching his soft, fluffy, white coat.

Powder posing in Crested Butte

Powder & Joan taking a nap

As he got older, he still maintained that rabbit hunter spunk. He might have lost a step, but he always gave them a good chase. When he was 10, we were all hiking together near Montezuma, CO and there was a lock of Ptarmigans below the trail in a steep boulder field. Odin and Powder teamed up to hunt them. Odin took the low ground and Powder the high ground. Powder was so excited he jumped 10 feet down into the rocks. The birds easily flew away and somehow Powder managed no injury to himself.

Powder & Odin the Christmas pups

Powder was a vibrant, energetic, happy dog. He always had a smile on his face. He could be stubborn, especially on trail when there was a smell to sniff. He was always friendly to people and dogs he met.

Snow dogs at Rabbit Ears Pass

Powder & Chris resting after a trail race in Kremmling

Yesterday morning I took Odin for a long hike, too long for Powder. When I left, he didn’t seem his usual self, he didn’t want to get up and go out or eat breakfast. Joan looked after him. When I returned, he wasn’t any better. Joan brushed his teeth and saw his gums were completely white. We took him to the vet, after some tests, the vet told us Powder was bleeding in his gut. He thought it was most likely a burst tumor on his spleen. It was heartbreaking to see our once perky, vibrant pup change so radically to dying in a few hours. We went back to the vet to put Powder out of his suffering. Somehow he managed to keep himself alive long enough for us to say goodbye. He died in Joan’s arms without any intervention.

We thought Powder would live to see 18. He seemed ageless, acting at 12 like dogs half his age. Our home and our hearts have an empty place now. There was one less dog to walk this morning.

REST IN PEACE my friend. You were loved and you will be missed.

vibes for the loss of your fluffy white friend.

sigh
    "Unfortunately, Meadows mgmt/marketing found out about the PR stash and published it on their trail map."

Serious condolences. Sorry Elkhoundodin for your loss of Powder.

On a related note, Powder looked more like a Samoyed than an American Eskimo, no? Beautiful dog nonetheless and certainly a great friend.
    I still call it The Jake.

These threads never get any easier to read,

That was a beautiful tribute to your pet.

Condolences

Sorry for your loss.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

a devastating post. We have a 12 year old spitz, she seems to age every day, is blind, and just not the same dog she used to be. I tear up thinking about the day we'll lose our Kiya. Vibes to Odin, your family, and props to an awesome spitz in Powder.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Thanks for the post. So sad. So happy you had such a wonderful friend. I'm sorry for your pain and loss.

aww man, so sorry for the loss of your pup.
    As a snowboarder... i fucking hate snowboarders in general. -advres

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

On a related note, Powder looked more like a Samoyed than an American Eskimo, no? Beautiful dog nonetheless and certainly a great friend.
    There are 3 sizes of Eskies. tiny, miny, and standard. You don't see standards very much as most people like the small versions. Powder was a large standard at 40lbs and often confused for a Samoyed. His lineage had a few UKC grand champions.

no exception, i tear up at these threads every time. vibes to you, and peace to powder's memory. kingston sends doggie vibes.

Vibes.

A great tribute to a friend.
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

Vibes man.

I REALLY feel your pain as my 14yo Hayduke died just last week.
    Every moment of fun had him in the picture for that time.
    I really cannot even allow myself to think about it yet,even though he was old, that did not make it any easier to say goodbye.

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Likewise. All great pups are missed.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

I had a rescue-dog in the 80's that looked just like Powder. Great dog. So sorry for your loss.

Awesome looking pup with some touching words and photos. Sad to hear that he won't be around for another winter but at least he wasn't suffering for too long.

Ahh, beautiful pup dood. Sorry to see he's gone. Vibes man

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    fuck I hate reading these threads
    cool tribute to a cool furkid
    vibes sent your way
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

What a handsome boy.

Sorry for your loss. It's both a curse and a blessing when they go so quickly.

I hate these thread, but they are always some of the best ones here....

Godspeed Powder.
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Powder and Zane are tearing it up.
    I just know it.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMtnPinhead View Post
    These threads never get any easier to read,

That was a beautiful tribute to your pet.

Condolences
    That was great tribute. You were a lucky guy to have such a cool dog for 18 years. My tears for your loose. Give Odin a big hung, as I know he is missing Powder too.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Awesome tribute dude.

It's in this instance that we really have to feel lucky that we had them around, even if it was too short. It never gets easier to say goodbye to such a dear friend, and it's borderline cruel that their lifespans are so much shorter than ours. +++vibes+++
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

A sad, but wonderful, tribute to Powder. It certainly looks like you and the wife gave him a marvelous life, full of love and adventure...the best a dog can have.

My sincere condolences

Sorry to hear, mang. At least you have another fur-kid to help you ride out the grief.