TR: Teton lightshow

Went to the Tetons this weekend with my oldest son and criscam for what was to be his (my son's) first alpine climb. We were headed for the CMC route on Mt. Moran which includes a nice canoe across String and Leigh lakes and a high camp spot. I've always been a been a fan of the fast and light one day ascents in the Tetons but the CMC camp shouldn't be missed. The weather shut us out about 800 feet shy of the summit with cold wind, graupel, and the threat of lightning, but all was not lost.

Approach to camp:

Looking up at the falling ice glacier:

Camp:

The lightshow begins at sunset, The view north of the Grand:

The next morning we got up at 3:30 with the plan to beat the weather we knew was coming. We arrived at Drizzlepus at about 5:30 and started watching the clouds and the sky trying to make a decision. It was cold and windy but the sunrise was worth it. These pics won't do it justice, it was the best sunrise I've ever seen.

After sitting and watching the lightshow for almost 2 hours it started to snow and graupel and get colder. We probably could have gone on but I didn't want my son to think that climbing mountains is just about how much misery you can endure (even though sometimes it seems that way).

Heading home:

phenomenal family stoke! love it.

the depth of the sunrise pic showing the peaks shrouded in gold was beautiful

Wow! I mean WOW! That sunrise was Sunday morning, right? I woke early and stepped outside to see what appeared to be the shadow of the Grand and Middle (I can't see the Tetons from here - Big Holes in the way) streaked across the pink and red sky. Pretty cool, but not even close to the coolness factor that you saw!!

Awesome!
    Old and Getting Older........
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

Freakin' nice! Love this one:

^^ my new background

awesome shots. thanks! I was through there on saturday, my first time in yellowstone or the tetons. holy crap was that something!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

wait, climbing mountains isn't about how much misery you can endure? shit.

nice stoke, i really gotta start ticking off the tetons. so gorgeous, and the mountains are aesthetic as the come.

...but all was not lost... INDEED!!!!!!!!!

Must have been Sunday mornin. I was at Grant, starting a lower loop bike ride. Got to West Thumb at 640, view to the lake over the geyser basin was great. I also bailed that afternoon, at Canyon, not diggin the 6" shoulder and 'gusty' winds.

Great TR, thanks!!!!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Thumbs up

Well played ZZZ.

Nice! I knew that we should have headed up to Lizard Creek this weekend.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Thumbs up

That was sweet, thanks for sharing.

And your son is huge now, he is going to be able to kick pop's ass soon.

Very nice! Thanks for posting those.
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

Fantastic photos!

incredible pics, nice work

Awesome pictures - thanks.

I read this as light snow ... disappointed and thrilled with the pictures
    If you can't dig it, you ain't got no shovel

^ LOL. There was light snow at JH on 9/1. How's that?

Great TR and photos.

Awesome stoke. Sometimes I wish my kids were older so we could do stuff like this and sometimes I wish they'd never age a day.

Thanks for posting these, unreal lighting!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Cool shit (and dad) to the top bump
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

That time of the year bump. My son told me last year that this was the best trip he'd ever been on and I felt the same, so I promised we'd be back this year to finish this one and some others. Now here I am laid up with no ACL and getting surgery next week. Needless to say I'm as disappointed as he is. I just hope that when I'm healed again he isn't too old and cool to climb with me.

Doubt he'll get that smart in just a few months. This TR and skiing-in-jacksons recent one with his daughter sure do bring the awesomest stoke!!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Thank's for the bump. Tye 1on got me interested in maybe moving to Victor. Real estate is definitely affordable in the area. My 16 year old son has no interest. Maybe this and the one with skiing-in-jacksons daughter may spark his interest.
    off your knees Louie