Page 37 of 69 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
    go back to 196

Been there done that
    No skis above 188 in the quiver for me
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I've got some mint 186s that i would love to trade for some 196s. PM if interested.

So......

Been skiing these in shit pow at Baker.....4" - 8" heavy manky crap, some light stuff, they are simply awesome for Baker.....short, fast runs with lots of hits.....me 5'7", 175lbs, mounted 87 from tail on 186 Owl Rens.

Basically I don't need another wide ski. I am selling my Factions and Comis which I thought I needed to give me a rest from my Rens. I don't want a rest. I just want to ride the Rens.

I already put the biggest core shot of my life in one of my Rens (haven't had a core shot in years.....could be the low snow or the fact that I am doing stupid stuff, like hitting lips without looking.....and yelling the obligatory "hold my dick" when airing hits......btw my 14 and 16 year old sons and their friends now yell this).

Anyway, I get down to the truck and see a 3" deep gash right through the base almost up into the topsheet. I took it into Glacier Ski Shop for a base weld.....they take a look and notice there was a small rock still stuck inside the ski base. They had to dig the rock out with a screwdriver.......and they were like "WTF did you hit?". I couldn't remember.....every run on the Rens you just kind of black out your mind and then ski fast right on the edge.

K
    Last edited by kc_7777; 12-23-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post

Basically I don't need another wide ski. I am selling my Factions and Comis which I thought I needed to give me a rest from my Rens. I don't want a rest. I just want to ride the Rens.

I already put the biggest core shot of my life in one of my Rens (haven't had a core shot in years.....could be the low snow or the fact that I am doing stupid stuff, like hitting lips without looking.....and yelling the obligatory "hold my dick:....btw my 14 and 16 year old sons and their friends now yell this).

Anyway, I get down to the truck and see a 3" deep gash right through the base almost up into the topsheet. I took it into Glacier Ski Shop for a base weld.....they take a look and notice there was a small rock still stuck inside the ski base. They had to dig the rock out with a screwdriver.......and they were like "WTF did you hit?". I couldn't remember.....every run on the Rens you just kind of black out your mind and then ski fast right on the edge.

K
    Heh. This all truth. Oh, and you're welcome.

I had a chance to get out on the 196s this weekend; Raven 2.0s mounted at 93.5 from the tail.

I'm quite sure I offended women and children as I proceeded to destroy any steep fall line near a lift line, all while yelling, "hold my DICK!" to anyone who was within earshot. And since it was the first big tourist week of the season, I also became accustomed to blurting out, "Comin' in HOT!" near anyone standing in the fall line. I found myself making the biggest or smallest turns on a whim. No consequence or forethought; just turn and go mach schnell.

Dangerous. And it made my pants tight. Seriously, anytime I think about skiing these things, I go from six to midnight.

I still maintain that these things ski like nothing else. Or, I should say that you ski them like nothing else I've ever skied. The storm cycle currently in effect in SW Montana is producing some insanely light and dry snow. Like, 4% snow. Full on cold smoke dust. The Rens just torpedo through the snow. And when I say 'torpedo,' I mean just that. They go through the snow. It's not unlike skiing pow in my XXLs; hugged to ground. The Rens, due to the tapered tips and lack of camber seemed to track down the harder snow. It was interested, but it made for face shots on demand. Awesome. Hell, at times, you could dive the tips and pop back up out of the snow like dolphin. More awesome.

And then there's the speed. Get these monsters up to speed and hold the fuck on. Want to turn? Yup, just roll the ankle and snake through the trees at an incredibly unsafe speed. Gaijin is right. Hold the fuck on. I found myself a few times quite literally trying to get my upper body to keep up with my skis. Wear a helmet and GIT IT!

Skiing these bell to bell on Saturday had me feeling this:

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Heh. This all truth. Oh, and you're welcome.

I had a chance to get out on the 196s this weekend; Raven 2.0s mounted at 93.5 from the tail.

I'm quite sure I offended women and children as I proceeded to destroy any steep fall line near a lift line, all while yelling, "hold my DICK!" to anyone who was within earshot. And since it was the first big tourist week of the season, I also became accustomed to blurting out, "Comin' in HOT!" near anyone standing in the fall line. I found myself making the biggest or smallest turns on a whim. No consequence or forethought; just turn and go mach schnell.

Dangerous. And it made my pants tight. Seriously, anytime I think about skiing these things, I go from six to midnight.

I still maintain that these things ski like nothing else. Or, I should say that you ski them like nothing else I've ever skied. The storm cycle currently in effect in SW Montana is producing some insanely light and dry snow. Like, 4% snow. Full on cold smoke dust. The Rens just torpedo through the snow. And when I say 'torpedo,' I mean just that. They go through the snow. It's not unlike skiing pow in my XXLs; hugged to ground. The Rens, due to the tapered tips and lack of camber seemed to track down the harder snow. It was interested, but it made for face shots on demand. Awesome. Hell, at times, you could dive the tips and pop back up out of the snow like dolphin. More awesome.

And then there's the speed. Get these monsters up to speed and hold the fuck on. Want to turn? Yup, just roll the ankle and snake through the trees at an incredibly unsafe speed. Gaijin is right. Hold the fuck on. I found myself a few times quite literally trying to get my upper body to keep up with my skis. Wear a helmet and GIT IT!

Skiing these bell to bell on Saturday had me feeling this:
    Fuck yes.. My 196s are shipping, I haven't been this excited to ski in a lonnggggg time. Any experience on hard/crud snow yet?
    "Slid into the cave where Rocky was waiting with the bong and the snowlerblades"

Wish they made the renegade in a leeeetle bit shorter length.
    I love my hoji's (179's) they're pretty much my everyday ski, then recycled my old ehp's for touring but would love to have a slightly wider ski option.
    sorry no point to my comments only wishing since I hear you all raving about it. ho hum

Pro Tip: while in Fred Meyer on a crowded Christmas Eve, taking a Ninja Turtles mask off the shelf, putting it on, and running around the store yelling "I'm a Renegade! Hold my dick!!" is frowned upon.

After a couple of days on some '13-'14 196's I'm digging these skis. Feels every bit as nimble as a praxis pow board or Lotus 138 (two skis I really like), but with the added benefit of kicking ass in less than ideal snow and charging over chop. "Hold my dick" is seriously the best possible way to explain these things to someone

Couple things I noticed about mount points so far:

Started at 90cm from the tail as my boot center. This worked well, but something felt a little off. Kind of like I was on the back end of the sweet spot. They still skied great, but it felt like the second I stopped driving the ski with my shins forward I'd get pushed around a bit. If I skied more open terrain (JH North Shore/Puckerface) this would have been a kick-ass mount point.

I'm on some Jester demo binders so I pushed them up to about 92cm from the tail today. This looked pretty damn centered and I didn't think I'd like it. Boy was I wrong. The ski was way more nimble, I felt right in the middle of the sweet spot and there was zero loss of 'charging' ability from what I could tell. If anything they felt more bomber hauling ass as I felt like I'm standing in the sweet spot already. Sick, sick, sick ski
    Last edited by benfjord; 12-24-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ImSearchingforPowder View Post
    Fuck yes.. My 196s are shipping, I haven't been this excited to ski in a lonnggggg time. Any experience on hard/crud snow yet?
    Yes. They will truck through any crud. Don't believe me? Search this thread for "Chuck Norris" and you'll know. They'll carve pretty much anything, but not as well as a cambered ski. On really hard bumps or full on boiler plate ice, they will suck and knock you around. But that's not why you buy these skis.
    Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    Wish they made the renegade in a leeeetle bit shorter length.
    I love my hoji's (179's) they're pretty much my everyday ski, then recycled my old ehp's for touring but would love to have a slightly wider ski option.
    sorry no point to my comments only wishing since I hear you all raving about it. ho hum
    Don't let the 186 length worry you, unless you're 4'10". I was worried about the 196 and it's not an issue. I'm 6'0". They turn and point and are otherwise easy to pilot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    Pro Tip: while in Fred Meyer on a crowded Christmas Eve, taking a Ninja Turtles mask off the shelf, putting it on, and running around the store yelling "I'm a Renegade! Hold my dick!!" is frowned upon.
    Bwahaha. I'm sending you a bill for cleaning all the coffee off my computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by benfjord View Post
    After a couple of days on some '13-'14 196's I'm digging these skis. Feels every bit as nimble as a praxis pow board or Lotus 138 (two skis I really like), but with the added benefit of kicking ass in less than ideal snow and charging over chop. "Hold my dick" is seriously the best possible way to explain these things to someone

Couple things I noticed about mount points so far:

Started at 90cm from the tail as my boot center. This worked well, but something felt a little off. Kind of like I was on the back end of the sweet spot. They still skied great, but it felt like the second I stopped driving the ski with my shins forward I'd get pushed around a bit. If I skied more open terrain (JH North Shore/Puckerface) this would have been a kick-ass mount point.

I'm on some Jester demo binders so I pushed them up to about 92cm from the tail today. This looked pretty damn centered and I didn't think I'd like it. Boy was I wrong. The ski was way more nimble, I felt right in the middle of the sweet spot and there was zero loss of 'charging' ability from what I could tell. If anything they felt more bomber hauling ass as I felt like I'm standing in the sweet spot already. Sick, sick, sick ski
    That little north woods elf sure does know how to ski these things. That mount point is dead on. No reason to change it.

Just got my 196s today and holy shit are these skis big and stiff... By far one of the stiffest skis I have hand flexed... So stoked to get them mounted and than get after it on them...

F-ck I completely forgot to yell "Hold My Dick" when demoing the 196cm Renegades at Alta Tuesday Morning; probably because I had completely blacked out from what these skis delivered. Friend had his gps on and clocked over 50 mph when I was passing him like he was standing still on the 184 cm devastators (another awesome ski for but for different purposes.) 60 or whatever the heck mph felt like 30 mph. I had to remind myself to turn. Landings were super stable wether sticking it centered or landing on the tails. Suprisingly, the Renegades still delivered in fresh tight trees with a fairly small sweet spot allowing for the ski to slarve? through the trees even at slow-moderate speeds. Crud was good, bumps were quite a challenge (I generally suck at true bumps), and hardpack was just adequate. I can' t wait to get a pair.

Only problem was not skiing too fast in the flat morning light...I G-ed out a concavity after straightlining and saw many stars. Too much fun!

Boys at 4FRNT were independently super cool and helpful to me and my wife. Great skis and good dudes = WINNER.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Hey guys! I've been wanting the Renegade for quite some time now. Been skiing the 184 Katanas for two years and I like them so much that I can't justify the purchase of another pair of skis. They really rip through everything. From what I have read the Rens seems like a Katana with a bit more float and play, maybe not as stable in shit snow? Cause even though I love my Katanas, a bit more float would be sweet. So yesterday when my Katanas got damaged beyond repair the idea of a new set of skis came to life again.

I am approximately 180 cm and weigh around 75 kg. Strong skier who really likes speed. Can anyone confirm (or dismiss) my thoughts about the Katana vs the renegades? Been thinking about for the 196, but not sure. Advise? Or am I completely on the wrong track?

Just got my 196 rens in today.. Only a couple cms longer than 189 Obsetheds

"Slid into the cave where Rocky was waiting with the bong and the snowlerblades"

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Suprisingly, the Renegades still delivered in fresh tight trees with a fairly small sweet spot allowing for the ski to slarve? through the trees even at slow-moderate speeds.
    There is nothing I would rather ride in Japan's forests. The big surprise for me is how a nimble tree ski can also have an alter-personality and become a charger.

So I want my 196s mounted at 92cm.. Do I just go into the shop and tell them to mount them at 92cm from the tail? I see some sort of marker on the sidewall, is that the factory rec mount point?

So I want my 196s mounted at 92cm.. Do I just go into the shop and tell them to mount them at 92cm from the tail? I see some sort of marker on the sidewall, is that the factory rec mount point?
    As far as I know, there have been no markings on past years' models, so maybe that's something new with the bevelled topsheet? Regardless, to avoid confusion and disappointment, I'd measure 92 from the tail and draw a line yourself. Take them in and say I want them mounted on the line. Less confusing instructions from you equals less chance of being mounted where you don't want them.

Quote Originally Posted by flatland View Post
    As far as I know, there have been no markings on past years' models, so maybe that's something new with the bevelled topsheet? Regardless, to avoid confusion and disappointment, I'd measure 92 from the tail and draw a line yourself. Take them in and say I want them mounted on the line. Less confusing instructions from you equals less chance of being mounted where you don't want them.

Good idea.. I'm kind of a mounting noob, is the line where the toe piece would be mounted?

Good idea.. I'm kind of a mounting noob, is the line where the toe piece would be mounted?
    No, but considering your lack of mounting basics, keep your instructions simple. Take your skis into the shop and say this EXACTLY:

"I want these mounted at 92cm from the tail. "
    First 360 mute grab --> Andrew Sheppard --> Snowdrifters 1996

Quote Originally Posted by DudeLebowSKI View Post
    Take your skis into the shop and say this EXACTLY:

"I want these mounted at 92cm from the tail. "
    this... but I'd also draw the line just to be sure!

btw, the line is the boot sole center

draw the line for them. I have had skis fucked up because I asked for them mounted somewhere specific and they didn't really listen.

This is also why I mount all my own skis now.

Been loving my new pair this early season. cant imagine a better low angle pow ski

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=686387938067527

Finally got on mine today. Stupid, dangerous amounts of fun, point them down the fall line and hang on. I understand now why there are people on here with multiple pairs in the same size. And I'm now wondering what I need my Czars for...

I'm wondering what size I want, I've read a lot on here and I THINK i want the 196.

I'm 5 10 190, pretty athletic not too fat, strong skier in the inland NW. I like to drive tips, i know the ren isnt the best for that and im fine with a centered stance, but i think the 196 would let me sit in the front seat a little better

I have a 195 praxis pow and my daily driver is a 184 h2o tazlina so to me the 186 renegade doesnt seem like its gonna give the unlimite speed limit in soft snow i'm after, the only thing thats concerning is that the 196 is just a big friggin board... do ya think im gonna find it to be too much in the woods?

for days when im just lappin stashes or skiing real tight trees i obviously have options for that stuff, I'm mostly looking to ski bigger terrain, open bowls, steeper glades, cliffs etc. soo... thoughts for this JONG?

196. no question about it.

me 175# 5' 9.5" and i wouldn't even consider the 186.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB