Page 63 of 69 FirstFirst ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 1706
    Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    ….paging drunk gaijin to comment here.
    Unfortunately I'm not very drunk right now, but I think we can all admit that you did a good deed by off-loading two worthless skis for an actual ski designed for pow. A big question on my end is how your new Ren compares to a HALS Ren.

I'm considering starting a new thread asking for comparisons to HALS Ren and Marshal's new C120. It's all speculative, but I never skied that OG pintail Lotus 120. But there is a reason (and probably a substantial one at that) that he hasn't yet listed a HALS-like Ren in his quiver.

So my drunk ass asks two things of you-- How does this Ren compare to a HALS? And on a further note-- how does it ski compared to an OG Lotus 120?

If you have never skied a Lotus 120, or don't have one in your quiver, then I will simply turn my head in disgust. "Who is this person?"

By the way, your binding choice on your new pretty, shiny, weak-ass looking Bear Ren makes me even angrier that it's not mine.

Also curious what boot you're using to drive/tour those? Looks like a rad daily driver for Japan's mid-season.

4FRNT Renegade ~ Hand built in SLC.

Those bear rens ARE really pretty…..

I didn’t really dig the Lotus 120. I don’t get along well with pintails….the nose pulls you around but the tail doesn’t finish the job. Rens are more neutral overall and result in a more rewarding, dynamic experience. For me. That’s super subjective, I know, but that’s what I’ve got. Rens are slashy and intuitive and oh so good and the Lotus 120 weren’t really those things, at least not for me. They were like a work truck. Got the job done with no drama.

HALs Rens vs. new Rens: I’m still figuring it out. New Rens have much better suspension. They lose a little bit of that slashy but always gotta be on it feeling, but still feel slashy. In good snow (which I’ve not found much of, lately) they still disappear in all the good ways. I haven’t found that feeling of getting low in good or funky snow and feeling like I’m skiing inside a tennis ball with new Rens….yet, but again….haven’t found much good OR funky snow lately and I’m also in piss poor shape compared to years past. I can say that I had no problem skiing HALs Rens as a daily driver… even on hard snow they had something ineffable that was FUN and I’m not quite getting that same vibe from the new ones, jury is still very much out, though.

How’s that for a subjective, not-really-saying anything comparison?
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I'm considering starting a new thread asking for comparisons to HALS Ren and Marshal's new C120. It's all speculative, but I never skied that OG pintail Lotus 120. But there is a reason (and probably a substantial one at that) that he hasn't yet listed a HALS-like Ren in his quiver.
    winky face
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DEE6D183-F74A-41BF-BEF8-81BE55CE3594.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	448.1 KB 
ID:	402026  

Drool

What's HALS? I'm plain f'ing dumb.

Mustonen your description actually comes across very well. What's a tennis ball and what does skiing inside it feel like?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    What's HALS? I'm plain f'ing dumb.

Mustonen your description actually comes across very well. What's a tennis ball and what does skiing inside it feel like?

HALS is just the cool looking wood sidewall. I dunno what it stands for and didn’t know it was called that until I asked the same question upthread a few pages back.

I’d liken the tennis ball feeling to kind of bouncing around off of stuff. Centered and a part of the ski rather than using the ski as a tool? You don’t really arc turns on the Rens…. When you and they are in the zone you slide/roll/slash around. A part of that feeling is very much the reverse camber/matched side cut/stiff ski. You roll around so the ski meets whatever part of the hill you’re engaging with, but the ski itself doesn’t change that much in shape. Note that you also aren’t getting a ton of rebound out of it either, or at least that rebound you do get is different than loading up a traditionally cambered/shaped ski.

The tennis ball analogy is something somebody else used, maybe in this thread, though I think they meant something completely different.

Keep in mind that while I may not be a total beater, I’m beater-adjacent, but when I’m in my tennis ball I feel like a hero.
    focus.

A big question on my end is how your new Ren compares to a HALS Ren.

By the way, your binding choice on your new pretty, shiny, weak-ass looking Bear Ren makes me even angrier that it's not mine.

Also curious what boot you're using to drive/tour those? Looks like a rad daily driver for Japan's mid-season.
    It’s been a long time since I skied the HALs Rens. My son still has our 2017s but his bsl is now bigger than mine. If ya need side-by-side rocker pics I can get some.

Ren binding choice.

I think you need the ability to walk in your Rens.

I considered CAST. Got sketched hearing some pillar issues (not being straight) with the CAST system. Duke PT 16s look burly. I’ll mostly be using these inbounds. And Duke PTs can quickly change between different soles.

Boots….Lupo Air 130 or Lupo HD 130 if I’m walking in the pins. Krypton 120 or 130 if skiing inbounds.

PS I’m tempted to post a pic a pic of my Rens and my new K108s for you gaijin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3899.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	240.0 KB 
ID:	402038
    Last edited by kc_7777; 03-15-2022 at 10:52 PM.

It’s been a long time since I skied the HALs Rens. My son still has them but his bsl is bigger than mine. If ya need side-by-side rocker pics I can get some next week.

Ren binding choice. I think you need the ability to walk in your Rens. I considered CAST. Got sketched hearing some pillar issues (not being straight) with the CAST. Duke PT 16s look burly. I’ll mostly be using these inbounds.

Boots….Lupo Air 130 or Lupo HD 130 if I’m walking. Krypton 120 or 130 if inbounds.

Owls and bears

I regret selling my owls.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Ya big regrets here too.

Here’s my Owls from 2013. Remember Sollyfit plates?

Kind of miss those Comis too. And the Pilsner Hojis. Good memories....this pow quiver was from when I had just got divorced and lived at a Baker cabin for the winter. 81 days at Baker that year.

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_4754.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	285.2 KB 
ID:	402056

PS here's the full quiver that year....Deathwishes and Belafontes.....fack! I could have probably just skied this quiver until now:

Name:  IMG_3179.JPG
Views: 657
Size:  141.6 KB

Eric's original prototype Rens (aka HALS construction skis) were initially made by Endre Hals in Norway.
    https://thesnowmag.com/handmade-skis...er-endre-hals/

The subsequent "white room" skis were made in SLC with the same style. The wood sidewall is one on the features, along with Maple cores and heavy duty fiberglass. The post-HALS skis (starting in 2016 IIRC) were both softer and lighter, which makes sense as BC touring skis. But they don't ski inbounds the same way as the OG Rens either.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    Eric's prototype Rens (aka HALS construction skis) were initially made by Endre Hals in Norway.
    His brand Evi Skis is about to launch a new 123mm underfoot ski, that is if his insta is any indication. No further info known at this time, at least by me.

Ren binding choice. I think you need the ability to walk in your Rens.
    Agreed, I initially had pin bindings on my owls, but was thinking I would like to ski them inbounds more. So I added cast this year.

Of course now I've only taken them out twice this year and both times on tours. The skis-off transitions are annoying, and the brake hold downs are less effective than rubber bands, but I do love the feeling of an Alpine binder on this ski... More than I expected to.

I'm also in the lupo pro HD. I can't feel the extra weight of the cast vs the pin binders, probably because the rest of the setup is so heavy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Remember Sollyfit plates?
    Kind of miss those Comis too. And the Pilsner Hojis. Good memories....this pow quiver was from when I had just got divorced and lived at a Baker cabin for the winter. 81 days at Baker
    May I just day that you do divorce well!

I still have some dyna Duke plates laying around.

winky face
    standing by for a heritage ski EHP Renegade lovechild...

Quote Originally Posted by ASP View Post
    ^this.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I would put in my vote for a 205cm-ish copy of a 2017 renegade. Please and thank you.

winky face
    Dang Marshal that 196 looks perfect!! Drool!!

winky face
    So, what's up your sleeve, homie!

I can say that I had no problem skiing HALs Rens as a daily driver… even on hard snow they had something ineffable that was FUN and I’m not quite getting that same vibe from the new ones, jury is still very much out, though.
    Yeah, kinda why I can't find something out there that makes me want to replace my Owls. The HALS stuff was calling me for a good 3 years before I pulled the trigger. I haven't felt that since. I seek cult-following skis.

Boots….Lupo Air 130 or Lupo HD 130 if I’m walking in the pins. Krypton 120 or 130 if skiing inbounds.

Dude, your boot quiver is worth more of a drool than the skis you turn over. Skis are boring. Boots are things we live in. My lord. I'm guessing they all fit really well.... which is why your boot quiver is probably even more valuable to everyone reading this than the skis you blow through.

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Owls and bears
    And this here is just the only place on the planet that this exists. That is rad. Thank you!

Which is why I can't. Or, won't.

Eric's original prototype Rens (aka HALS construction skis) were initially made by Endre Hals in Norway.

The subsequent "white room" skis were made in SLC with the same style. The wood sidewall is one on the features, along with Maple cores and heavy duty fiberglass. The post-HALS skis (starting in 2016 IIRC) were both softer and lighter, which makes sense as BC touring skis. But they don't ski inbounds the same way as the OG Rens either.

Hope that helps!
    But it's cooler than that. HALS Maple Core didn't have sidewalls. The core was the sidewall. I LOVED that idea and the is a HUGE reason why I bought Owls. It's just one giant, stiff, hard, piece of wood, milled, and then covered in fiberglass.

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    I'm also in the lupo pro HD. I can't feel the extra weight of the cast vs the pin binders, probably because the rest of the setup is so heavy.
    That's super comforting to hear that the weight isn't noticeable. Maybe I should be following KC's Marker PT move.

Yeah-- this is the big piece of text of all things quoted. I hope we're reading through the lines here. I mean, he did post pics of his own quiver that has nothing to do with Heritage. Hmmm...

Which is why I can't. Or, won't.
    Shorn't!

That's super comforting to hear that the weight isn't noticeable. Maybe I should be following KC's Marker PT move.
    To be fair, I pulled off Dynafit radical FT 2.0s which are already heavy @ about 630g each, uphill weight on the cast is ~1000g. I think think the Alpine binder feels good on the Ren because the ski doesn't offer much 'suspension', particularly on hard snow.

Duke PT uphill weight is ~1050g.

I've mostly been taking good care of my Rens, but the sidewalls seem to have developed some mold. Any ideas how to counter this?

Name:	rens.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	938.5 KB 
ID:	409235

Don’t worry about it. Other bad things will happen to your skis (edge, sidewall blow out) before the entire core molds through.

You could rub some wax on there when you're sure they are dry.

Lysol. Mold abatement guys will often spray lysol on mold and then bleach.

Lysol on a rag followed by a rinse might not hurt the skis?

White vinegar would probably make short work of that mold. Side note: are those sidewalls bare wood or something? Seems like an awful design.

I'm stoked for the lady Renegade CCs that were teased on 4FRNT's Instagram.