Page 54 of 69 FirstFirst ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1706

4FRNT Renegade ~ Hand built in SLC.

Yeah, that’s it

Bump to a legendary thread....just found some new in plastic 186 owl rens for $150!

I've already got a pair of 196 rens + P18s for inbounds, but am going to replace my 195 Hojis + Kingpins with the 186 rens for my powder touring setup. The Hojis just never felt stable enough and the weight penalty for the Ren is minimal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Don’t mount them. Just hang them on your wall

Seeing as it’s basically impossible to sell any of my renegades, I guess I’ll just use my 196 owls to go run over some small children early season. Getting excited now it’s actually snowing. I want to put them on my wall but they’re just too fun to ski.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    Bump to a legendary thread....just found some new in plastic 186 owl rens for $150!

I've already got a pair of 196 rens + P18s for inbounds, but am going to replace my 195 Hojis + Kingpins with the 186 rens for my powder touring setup. The Hojis just never felt stable enough and the weight penalty for the Ren is minimal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Saw those! Nice score

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Seeing as it’s basically impossible to sell any of my renegades, I guess I’ll just use my 196 owls to go run over some small children early season. Getting excited now it’s actually snowing. I want to put them on my wall but they’re just too fun to ski.

I'm just going to leave this here: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4FR_RENEGADE_20-21_ProductPage_Final-02_1920x.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	668.6 KB 
ID:	336432

Love the graphics. Always a fun day when 4frnt drops their new line

Does anyone actually use the Renegade as their inbounds powder ski?

Based on the specs, it's always been my impression that the Renegade must be a dream ski for big untracked pow days in the backcountry but that it can't be a very fun tool for skiing your typical inbounds choppy pow day.

I'd love to hear from the Ren crew if/why I'm wrong!

I ski it inbounds... in Japan... in the forest.

The lack of flex/suspension makes chop it’s weak point but the stiffness does help break through stuff.

Depends a lot on your style and your location. PNW crud and Utah crud are not really the same crud.

If you predict that stiff reverse camber will be tiring in crud, you’re probably right. And if you predict a stiff ski under your legs can bash crud, you’re probably right about that, too.

That was fun solving your problem. Ask me anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by VON View Post

Based on the specs, it's always been my impression that the Renegade must be a dream ski for big untracked pow days in the backcountry but that it can't be a very fun tool for skiing your typical inbounds choppy pow day.

I skied them for big pow days in Whistler. They are awesome in pow and cut up pow but once it firms up to crud, they can take a fair amount of energy to ski well.

Looks like no changes to the Hoji line up besides graphics and the new skin attachment system, which makes sense but just seems weird to me somehow, especially if I was skiing inbounds often (which I do).

I skis the 196 most often of all my skis. To be fair, a lot of that is sled access. but anything over 15cm is fine for W/B resort days. Though the Hoji makes a better resort ski, and I'll probably get a pair again.

Ren 196: sledski / resort pow.
    Raven 190: a bit a fresh, touring, or skiing with kid (light to carry & less tiring to snowplow for hours).
    Mindbender 99: resort.

shame they only make the Rens in child sizes these days.

I have skied rens as my primary inbounds pow ski since 2 years after it came out. It’s without a doubt my favorite pow ski ever. I have both 186 and 196. Not a surfy ski but it’s like a light saber through the pow turned up to 11. 196s are basically reserved for plaid or ludicrous speed. I have a crazy pow ski collection besides rens: on3p c&d, head a Star, qst 118, hojis, praxis powboards. Rens are my favorite. But if I think it’s bottom feeding conditions I go qst 118. Way easier to ski. The ren is punishing in dust on cross. Upside down pow calls for powboards, everyone else will be struggling but powboards makes upside down seem like hero snow. C@D for super heavy and big airs, tons of tail and mine are custom super stiff build. But if conditions are going to be a perfect 10 there’s no better ski than the ren to dial it up to 11. I also have a pair that I tour on. I’m very curious to ski the new design. But I have 3 cherry HALS construction skis undrilled in my closet.

Quote Originally Posted by bsavery View Post
    I'm just going to leave this here: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4FR_RENEGADE_20-21_ProductPage_Final-02_1920x.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	668.6 KB 
ID:	336432

Supernice!

Bumping this legendary thread as I just picked up some Owl Rens to complement my Hojis (favorite touring ski ever). Reading this thread has me stoked for the season, pray for snow!

Owls are rad. Still my main pow ski. They compliment a Mantra 102 for Japan.

I picked up a pair of 186 owls at the end of last season--mounted then with a pair of radicals. I've gotten out on them 4 times, twice in 4-6" of fresh light, once in 4-6" of styrofoam, once this season in 16-24" of upside-down pnw storm concrete (against better judgement in low tide conditions, but it ended up being the ski du jour because of the flotation). Super fun ski. I felt like I knew it and understood it after the first run. It's a ski that made me feel like I was skiing at a new level the first day I skied it. I agree that it's punishing and joyless on hardpack, so I'm feeling pretty good about having it set up for bc.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Anyone ski the new 2020/21 model and have comments on how it performs vs. the old white room models? Having no luck hunting down another OG pair in Whistler.

Also, curious if the raven has the same ren stability and predictability. Any thoughts? Looking at it for a touring specific ski for BC.

I have special 2020 191 ren with a full maple core that weighs 2400ish grams. It’s not the same ski it once was. It floats much more on top now and is actually easier to ski inbounds as it’s not as fatiguing. It sort of feels more like a wider hoji now, but definitely has more oophf. Just not the same “hold my dick” energy.

Also the old 196 never felt like a huge ski, but this 191 feels closer to the older 186 vs the 196

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    I have special 2020 191 ren with a full maple core that weighs 2400ish grams.
    What now?
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    What now?

Quote Originally Posted by tupp_ View Post
    Also, curious if the raven has the same ren stability and predictability. Any thoughts? Looking at it for a touring specific ski for BC.
    I own first year 186 Rens and 184 Ravens from a couple years ago (don't think they've really changed since then). The Ravens are a great ski, and do a good job carrying over some of the same feel to a MUCH lighter, much narrower platform, but there's no hiding the fact that they're about 600g lighter per ski. They do feel similar in terms of the stance they want, and the way they pivot from the ball of your foot, but the Rens are definitely more stable given the added weight. They're also a bit stiffer overall.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Coolface isn’t an answer. Spill!
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Coolface isn’t an answer. Spill!
    Haha it’s just a proto I got a hold of, full maple core 2400g per ski.

It’s an awesome layup, feels like a jski so great for inbounds, hopefully with the new renegade updates coming next year they do something similar. The renegade deserves a layup that can charge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DDC91BF3-340E-4DBD-8998-751AC3BDF4C8.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	324.7 KB 
ID:	355716

Don’t suppose you’ve A|B’ed them with stock rens? Noticeably stiffer...?

Those are my bindings too..... 🤤
    focus.