Page 51 of 69 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1706

4FRNT Renegade ~ Hand built in SLC.

Owls. No vibey stuff.

I actually prefer the 196 in crud. Longer running length and effective edge --> less deflection.
    focus.

Hey,

I had my Rens up for sale at the beginning of the season. I guess I was bored and thought I had too many other skis for pow (eg. Line Magnum Opus and LibTech NAS Pows). Then this season happened, so much good, light snow.

I spent a week at Mt. Baker over Xmas. First, I decided to take the Dukes off as I realized won't ever skin in Rens. Mine are mounted (2015s, 186cm pre vibeveil) with Jesters at 88 cm from tail, or -5 cm even though Hoji says - 6 cm now....I love them at -5 cm).

I used the Rens a lot that week. A lot.

Bottom line is that I am damn glad I didn't sell the Rens. They are just awesome in powder. A great match with my Kye 110s that got the Dukes. As everyone says.....Rens are pivoty/smeary feeling while still feeling beefy. Surprisingly easy to ski in deep snow and packed powder ((Me: 5'7", 165lbs). Anyway, the Magnums are not getting much use when it's deep.

Every quiver needs a pair of Rens. We are going to Revy for 9 days in Feb, I hope to use them lots. And yelling "Hold my Dick" is pretty fun.

KC
    Last edited by kc_7777; 01-12-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Hey,

I had my Rens up for sale at the beginning of the season. I guess I was bored and thought I had too many other skis for pow (eg. Line Magnum Opus and LibTech NAS Pows). Then this season happened, so much good, light snow.

I spent a week at Mt. Baker over Xmas and used the Rens a lot. A lot.

First, I decided to take the Dukes off as I realized won't ever skin in Rens. Mine are mounted (2015s, 186cm pre vibeveil) with Jesters at 88 cm from tail, or -5 cm even though Hoji says - 6 cm now....I love them at -5 cm).

Bottom line is I am damn glad I didn't sell the Rens. They are just awesome in powder. A great match with my Kye 110s that got the Dukes. As everyone says.....Rens are pivoty/smeary feeling while still feeling beefy. Surprisingly easy to ski in deep snow and packed powder. Anyway, the Magnums are not getting much use when it's deep.

Every quiver needs a pair of Rens. We are going to Revy for 9 days in Feb and hope to use them lots. And yelling "Hold my Dick" is pretty fun.

KC
    This warms my heart. I just remounted a pair of Owls at -6. I'm stoked to finally get a chance to try them out. (I have a pair of Raven 2.0 for sale if anyone wants to get saucy)

I had the 2011-2012 196cm renegades mounted at 93cm. They were great for untracked, but were too far forward. turns out 93cm from tail was what Hoji/Cody recommended for touring to make kick turns easier.

I finally got around to remounting them at 92cm. Surprising how much of a difference that made in-bounds. As things got more chopped up, as even the expert runs at squaw will within an hour, having the extra forebody to lean into meant I was floating around on top instead of diving/bucking. Not even sure if I need any other ski.

Name:  16111021_1274022329344479_8870739798625615872_n.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  71.0 KB
    Last edited by bmath; 01-16-2017 at 12:09 PM. Reason: adding a photo

Quote Originally Posted by bmath View Post
    I had the 2011-2012 196cm renegades mounted at 93cm. They were great for untracked, but were too far forward. turns out 93cm from tail was what Hoji/Cody recommended for touring to make kick turns easier.

I finally got around to remounting them at 92cm. Surprising how much of a difference that made in-bounds. As things got more chopped up, as even the expert runs at squaw will within an hour, having the extra forebody to lean into meant I was floating around on top instead of diving/bucking. Not even sure if I need any other ski.
    Good to hear about the mount position. I experience the same with my alpine mount; find for anything up to about 12". More than that, not enough to lean on to drive the ski.

I'm curious to see how my 91cm from the tail mount will perform.

I'm a big dude. I mount at 91 from the tail on the 196's and it's awesome. I would even going back to 90 for the next pair (oh yes.. there will be a next pair!) because I've gotten fat from sitting around drinking beer with a new kid (she prefers ales). having a bit more shovel in front wouldn't hurt.

I actually have two pairs of 196s... one with Beasts, one with P18's. Both Owls. both in good condition 'cuz these skis are bombproof. I'd consider selling one. What's a fair price these days?

Any thoughts on how the current, lighter version of the ren compares to prior versions? Looks like Hoji is still charging the crap out of everything, but wondering if anyone can compare the two layups based on familiarity with both. Thanks!

Hey Judo and Bobcat, any beta on how you like the 91cm as opposed to the 92cm mount point? I've been skiing the 196cm - latest model, and while it's awesome in untracked I wouldn't mind a bit less tail when things get tracked out in tight situations.
    "Oh this isn't Russia Danny, is this Russia"

Quote Originally Posted by MeatHeadEC View Post
    Hey Judo and Bobcat, any beta on how you like the 91cm as opposed to the 92cm mount point? I've been skiing the 196cm - latest model, and while it's awesome in untracked I wouldn't mind a bit less tail when things get tracked out in tight situations.
    I like the further back mount for sure. I'm a bigger dude and I was getting a bit of tip dive in lower angle snow. the further back mount fixed that. I don't feel like I lost any pivot-ability or power in the tail though.
    To me the power in the tail helps, if anything, in tracked out tight stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by garuda View Post
    Any thoughts on how the current, lighter version of the ren compares to prior versions? Looks like Hoji is still charging the crap out of everything, but wondering if anyone can compare the two layups based on familiarity with both. Thanks!
    3 seasons on 12/13 owls, now 40 days on new versions, both 196, 92 from tail, skiing Vail and surrounding area.

New ones feel less like battle ships on your feet but keep the overall renegade characteristics.
    I find at my weight (165 geared) I skim over the top even more.

Older versions slightly edge out new in heavy soft chop, but in all other conditions I prefer the 2017s. I had also found myself occasionally wishing for a shorter ski in some of the tighter trees in Vail, but not once with the new ski.
    I'd attribute that to a longer flat spot underfoot and the lighter weight. Wiggling through tight spots is considerably easier.

TL;DR - no loss of performance if you don't weigh 200+, much improved for lighter guys.

Nice update thx lantern!
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Nice update thx lantern!
    +1
    focus.

It was probably talked about in the past 50 pages, but can someone talk about the devastator vs. ren? I am a huge devastator fan boy and take it out most resort days. Given that, am I safe to assume I'm going to like the ren as a compliment for deep days? Currently I have gpo's and protests, but both are in need of replacement. Was going to go with a new gpo or quixote, but given how much I dig the devastator, now I'm thinking the ren could be a better ski for me. Any thoughts from those that ski both?

I have devastator 2016-2017 in 184 and renegade (owl) 196 so comparison is definitely biased due to size difference.

Devastator crud killer but a bit stiff for floaty slarvy powder fun. Turns wicked quick. New vibe veil compared to old version is damper and further improves crud performance (i have had both.) Devastator very forgiving.

Renegade "hold my dick" no speed limit demanding ski. Excels in steep, gs terrain, that is untracked. Low angle is more of a handful. Stomps landings. Smaller sweet spot but when dialed does well in moderately spaced trees. The 196 tires me out after several runs when the show gets chopped up; I switch to the devastators then.

I just mounted up 2016 189 kye 120s (will hopefully ski them tomorrow and post review soon.) If I don't love them I will probably get the newest renegade based on lanterns review. It sounds like the new renegades have reduced tip dive, are lighter weight, and even quicker turning... that is, ski a little shorter. If I was less of a PUSSY it wouldn't matter.
    Last edited by skinipenem; 02-04-2017 at 04:42 PM.

I have devastator 2016-2017 in 184 and renegade (owl) 196 so comparison is definitely biased due to size difference.

Devastator crud killer but a bit stiff for floaty slarvy powder fun. Turns wicked quick. New vibe veil compared to old version is damper and further improves crud performance (i have had both.) Devastator very forgiving.

Renegade "hold my dick" no speed limit demanding ski. Excels in steep, gs terrain, that is untracked. Low angle is more of a handful. Stomps landings. Smaller sweet spot but when dialed does well in moderately spaced trees. The 196 tires me out after several runs when the show gets chopped up; I switch to the devastators then.

I just mounted up 2016 189 kye 120s. If I don't love them I will probably get the newest renegade based on lanterns review. It sounds like the new renegades have reduced tip dive, are lighter weight, and even quicker turning... that is ski ba little shorter. If I was less of a PUSSY it wouldn't matter.
    Awesome info thanks dude. Also interesting to hear you can actually tell the difference with vibe veil. I will probably pick up some new devastators this summer when they are retarded cheap. An even damper devastator sounds fucking awesome.

The new ones are beautiful. I will post a review at some point

I have 184 Devestators, LOVE THEM.

Looking for a ski for deeper days, 2 of my finalists are Kye 120s, and Protest. Thoughts? I want a ski I don't have to be charging on to not look like the ski is in control instead of me.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post

Looking for a ski for deeper days, 2 of my finalists are Kye 120s, and Protest. Thoughts? I want a ski I don't have to be charging on to not look like the ski is in control instead of me.
    No experience with the kye but around 5 years on the protest and 3 years on the pow boards before that. Definitely a great pow ski. It has a cult like following for a reason. Fairly versatile for the width and excels in anything 3d. Good crud buster as well. VERY easy to ski in anything soft. The build is probably one of the best out there. My 5 yr old protests still look new. Bases are super burly and have 2.2 mm edges. The width becomes a problem on anything firm as trying to get 130mm on edge takes some effort and firm bumpy snow transmits directly up your legs and beats you up. I also think the tip needs a redesign as it has no tip taper and can plow in dense pow without enough speed. If you are just looking for a soft snow ski though, it is a great option. I'm going to pick up some renegades just to try them out, but I will not be selling my protests.

Where do you have your Devastators mounted? I'm eyeing a 184 as a "not sure what the conditions will be" travel ski. I'm pretty directional, fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by mikdes26 View Post
    Where do you have your Devastators mounted? I'm eyeing a 184 as a "not sure what the conditions will be" travel ski. I'm pretty directional, fwiw.
    FWIW I have my devastators mounted on the recommended line and they definitely like to be driven a bit. I'm used to fairly center mounted skis and these like a little more shin pressure than anything else I am on. Maybe -1 for you if you are used to a more traditional tip driving style. I can't see going further back than that but I'm sure some do.

The new ones are beautiful. I will post a review at some point

Those bases are sexy.

I went on the line with them. Progressive mount, they look "funny" but ski like money. I didn't want to over think it with moving back, I just trusted 4FRNT.

I am old skool, been skiing for 40yrs, so even if I'm not thinking about it I probably drive the tips no matter what I do.

The Devastator is the best all around ski I've ever had, FWIW. They are my daily driver, and I've ridden them on 2 pow days this year which were shoulder deep. I just want something for softer days. Snowbird gets chop/tracked fast, the ski has to be forgiving in 3D to survive here.

Quote Originally Posted by mikdes26 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by POWHNTR View Post
    FWIW I have my devastators mounted on the recommended line and they definitely like to be driven a bit. I'm used to fairly center mounted skis and these like a little more shin pressure than anything else I am on. Maybe -1 for you if you are used to a more traditional tip driving style. I can't see going further back than that but I'm sure some do.

I went on the line with them. Progressive mount, they look "funny" but ski like money. I didn't want to over think it with moving back, I just trusted 4FRNT.

I am old skool, been skiing for 40yrs, so even if I'm not thinking about it I probably drive the tips no matter what I do.

The Devastator is the best all around ski I've ever had, FWIW. They are my daily driver, and I've ridden them on 2 pow days this year which were shoulder deep. I just want something for softer days. Snowbird gets chop/tracked fast, the ski has to be forgiving in 3D to survive here.
    Thanks!

Somewhere between on the line and -1 works well IMHO.