Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

I think they added about 1cm additional tip rocker for 2012.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0557.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	98511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0558.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	98512  
    60% of the time, it works every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maker View Post
    I think they added about 1cm additional tip rocker for 2012.
    It's pretty subtle, maybe not even 1 cm, but it definitely makes a noticeable difference.

On another note, we started production this week. We're already way ahead of last year.
    Rider driven since '02.

Hi 4frnt, I'm thinking about picking up a pair of these but the wooden sidewall kinda scares me. I've heard they hold up well, but based on material specs, plastic just seems to be tougher, more resilient, and obviously more waterproof. Why did you guys choose to use wood sidewalls on this ski only? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rich_beater View Post
    Hi 4frnt, I'm thinking about picking up a pair of these but the wooden sidewall kinda scares me. I've heard they hold up well, but based on material specs, plastic just seems to be tougher, more resilient, and obviously more waterproof. Why did you guys choose to use wood sidewalls on this ski only? Thanks!
    We started using all-wood sidewalls in our prototype skis because it's a lot easier to make these than to use ABS sidewalls in one-off skis.

What we found, though, was that the wood holds up really well to normal wear and tear. As long as the grain runs along the ski (as opposed to having end grain showing like in some wood-sidewall skis), they won't absorb too much water each day, and will dry out fine as long as you bring them inside at the end of the day. No treatment or sealing is needed.

One other thing we found (and why we use it on the Renegades) is that as you ski the skis, the wood actually hardens from getting wet and drying out over and over again. This gives you more purchase over your ski edge than ABS can give you. You won't normally notice it, but if you're trying to edge into some icy chute, you'll definitely notice it.
    Rider driven since '02.

What are bigger guys' impressions of the 186 vs 196? Obviously no one's been on the 196 much, but it sounds like the 186 is still really solid. I'm 6'2", 190 and I don't want to feel like I'm on snow blades, but given this ski's reputation for stability I think I could get away with the shorter length. I spend most of my time in the trees, and want a maneuverable rocket ship type of ski that is still easy to handle at slower speeds. The 196 is appealing, but that's also a monster of a ski. So, do any of you 6'+ guys out there have a strong recommendation? Will the 186 be too short for when it comes time to open it up a bit? Halp.

Quote Originally Posted by honus View Post
    What are bigger guys' impressions of the 186 vs 196? Obviously no one's been on the 196 much, but it sounds like the 186 is still really solid. I'm 6'2", 190 and I don't want to feel like I'm on snow blades, but given this ski's reputation for stability I think I could get away with the shorter length. I spend most of my time in the trees, and want a maneuverable rocket ship type of ski that is still easy to handle at slower speeds. The 196 is appealing, but that's also a monster of a ski. So, do any of you 6'+ guys out there have a strong recommendation? Will the 186 be too short for when it comes time to open it up a bit? Halp.
    Height affects fore-aft balance and weight affects your ability to bend/turn a ski. You have 20 lbs on me but I can tell you that the 186 is beyond solid for my 170 lbs frame. I don't see it being a problem at 190 lbs by any means. I think they're the stiffest skis I have ever flexed. Fore-aft-wise, they don't give out at the tips and tails so I think you'd be fine. The 186 wants to go fast. I couldn't imagine the 196 in trees. To me, the 196 is for AK duties only, but even for that I would personally rather the 186.

I am 6'2 180 ish, but carry alot of avy gear and safety gear. So pushing 200 and I have the 186. Very stable, fast in the trees and are a blast in utah pow. I actually skiied them on icy morning groomers on my local hill in socal and was blown away by stability, carvability and ease of use.
    Only drawbacks were icy moguls (duh) and I did have a little tip dive in super heavy sierra cement. But new rocker profile looks money. If your a college guy 4frnt has a great discount program for students. Solid ski and wood sidewall is no issue.

Get them, you'll be happy
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    If your a college guy 4frnt has a great discount program for students.
    That program is no more, unfortunately.

If you've skied the 193 EHP, or similar, and have thought "I wish there was more ski here," get the 196. If not, the 186 will do you very well. I'm about your size and like the 186 better, but I know a lot of the really hard chargers on our team love the 196 even more than the 86.
    Rider driven since '02.

Is the 186 Renegade easy to pivot in tight trees for a smaller guy or is it rly stiff?

Quote Originally Posted by Marok View Post
    Is the 186 Renegade easy to pivot in tight trees for a smaller guy or is it rly stiff?
    Did you read the reviews?

Have read a bunch of reviews but so many have difrent opinions.

yes.

focus.

It is really stiff, but it is easy to pivot because it is fully rockered.
    60% of the time, it works every time.

I'm 6'1" 180, skied the 196 a few times this past spring and had absolutely NO issues throwing it around in even the tightest spots...pivots on a dime and I have never been so impressed with a skis ability to transition from long to short radius turns. It also helps that the recommended mount is somewhat close (-5cm) to the true center...so flippy spinny stuff wasn't an issue either, fuckin' killer ski.

would you consider this a playful ski at all? is it something that you would want to spin off of cliffs? my daily driver is a moment m1, and i'm looking for a ski that can charge like the m1, but i dont want to wrestle a stiff ski in tight billy goating situations. could any one conpare its stifness on marshals scale? is it b squad stiff?

it's real fuckin stiff.
    it is agile, but you gotta be on it, all the time.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Maybe i missed something in the Thread but is any of you skiing the Renegade with a touring binding like Duke, Barron, Fritschl?

Quote Originally Posted by ZekeWolf View Post
    Maybe i missed something in the Thread but is any of you skiing the Renegade with a touring binding like Duke, Barron, Fritschl?
    Hoji has skied his almost exclusively with his Dynafit setup the last two years, and has converted Cody Barnhill onto the Dynafit program as well. I personally watched Eric go backflip to nose-press 360 on his Renegade/FT setup. Pretty damn impressive display of the burliness of that setup IMO.

[Edit to add video proof at 4:25 ]
    Rider driven since '02.

Quote Originally Posted by 4FRNT View Post
    Hoji has skied his almost exclusively with his Dynafit setup the last two years, and has converted Cody Barnhill onto the Dynafit program as well. I personally watched Eric go backflip to nose-press 360 on his Renegade/FT setup. Pretty damn impressive display of the burliness of that setup IMO.

Thanks but I stay away from the Dynafit. Two friends twisted their knees last year in some Alta powder(surgery for one). Might be the age though
    Will use Duke or F12 Tour.

Quote Originally Posted by 4FRNT View Post

It's cool to see the "big mountain" skier rip the most corked out butter, on the stiffest skis in the line up, out of all those involved in the butter fest. Dyna's or no dyna's.
    Last edited by JRainey; 08-28-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZekeWolf View Post
    Have large Dukes on mine, no complaints, previous ski was EHP 193's. They are heavy and I am fat, so touring is slower than people on light setups, but fine for my sidecountry purposes. They ski awesome, can GS groomers on them.

Anyone gonna trade up their 186's for the 196's?
    First 360 mute grab --> Andrew Sheppard --> Snowdrifters 1996

^^^^^^Been debating this, but college deal is gone so like $800 is the current $
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)