Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

People suing ski areas, part 357892374

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2010...-millions.html

The poor woman. Just because she picked a chair up, put it over the barricade, climbed over so she could rest her feet ON the "danger, do not cross" sign, then ignored an employee telling her she needed to move because she was in danger of getting hit by falling snow doesn't mean she shouldn't be eligible for millions in damages. After all, the evil family owned corporation goons should have forcibly removed her from the danger area.

Someone should forcibly remove her, and her lawyer, from the gene pool. Fortunately, she's a paraplegic, so a pillow will work. No need to waste a perfectly good bullet.
    Living vicariously through myself.

She will win based on completely unrelated incidents that her lawyers say proves the resorts lack of action to make the resort a safe environment.

If this woman wins, that means the terrorists win too.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

From what I read I think she is a perfect candidate for a really really late term abortion. Seriously when did personal responsibility go out and window? The judge should have laughed her and her fucking lawyer right out of the court room, and said "hey fuckhead, you crossed the line, you had a book so obviously you can read, and yet you ignored the signs, get out of my court room."
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

Please keep us posted as to how this turns out when the jurors come back from holiday. Seems pretty cut and dried from here that it's her fault but you never know once it goes to the jury...
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Wampold [plaintiff's counsel] also argued that the warning signs fell short of being explicit enough. Instead of saying "KEEP OUT," they said "Danger! Snow sliding off roof," and "Please stay away from eaves and overhangs. Extreme slide danger."
    Clearly a case of inadequate warning signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Clearly a case of inadequate warning signs.
    Word. Look for stop signs to now also have the fine print underneath with the breakdown of every possible danger and injury inherent with the risks of running said stop sign.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

"She didn't know there were ice boulders up there that would come shooting out 15 feet," Wampold said."
    Fucking trajectories, how do they work?

Wampold also argued that the warning signs fell short of being explicit enough. Instead of saying "KEEP OUT," they said "Danger! Snow sliding off roof," and "Please stay away from eaves and overhangs. Extreme slide danger."
    I....wh....bu.....

That bitch will probably get the money. I don't know what is worse, the dumbass that is suing or the comments I read that defend this idiot. What more do they have to do? She got a written and a verbal warning. Are they suppose to call the cops on her next time?
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

The scary part is all the insane people posting in that comments on that link.. defending the woman. All potential jurors. More proof of the 80% rule..

Who is Ian Graham, are you in here? I want to give you a cookie.

Should baker have a system for removing snow and ice from the roof? Without a doubt, and there are plenty of easy ways to do it. Given the situation I feel bad for the woman but she literally walked into it herself. What did it for me was the ambiguity about how she ended up on the other side of the barrier, with chair in tow. This statement is ridiculous and reeks of shit:
    Wampold did not deny that his client was on the wrong side of the movable barrier railing when the accident occurred, but he said it was difficult to believe that his client either climbed over the railing or managed to unhitch the interlocked metal segments while holding a chair and a book. He insisted that there must have been a gap in the railing that enabled Miller to wander into the danger zone without realizing it.
    ...as if the woman didnt have the ability to put down the chair and book before moving the fence - what kind of weak statement is that? Why would the lawyer have to theorize about how his client got through the fence? Did the woman lose her memory of the incident? IMHO unless she consciously made the decision to ignore the posted warnings and enter a barricaded area, there's no reason for there to be any question about how she ended up on the other side of the fence.

If she wins the case, i'm sending her letters asking for her to give me some money for poor choices I've made in my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

The ice ball should have been a LOT bigger, then you just have to remove the stain....

Quote Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
    Why would the lawyer have to theorize about how his client got through the fence?
    Because he was probably a god damn philosophy major.

Fucking entitled Pigs... She thought she was good enough to avoid the rules, then got her ass kicked. Then again felt entitled to steal millions of dollars from a completely innocent company. The worst part is that most of that money is probably going to that Sack of shit lawyer.

On the other hand

Miller could well have been badly injured even if she had been on the right side of the railing, Wampold said. He noted that a young man testified he had been sitting close by Miller, on the other side of the railing, but managed to jump clear when he heard the rumble overhead. The snow and ice crushed his chair, Wampold said.
    So the guy was sitting in a chair, in the "safe zone" on the other side of the barrier and his chair was still crushed. No denying she was in an area where she wasn't supposed to be. It seems like there was more danger than the resort expected.

So after 66 years of wasting perfectly good oxygen, she still hasn't figured out gravity? Maybe the nightmares she is "still having" will teach her to pull her head out of her ass and wipe the shit out of her eyes so that she can see the warning signs next time
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

I remember when this happened, I was actually skiing that day. Baker has had fences and caution tape around the eves of the roof and warning signs for years and you can see the piles of snow and ice that build up where it slides off. She was stupid before it hit her, shes stupid now and I hope the judge is smart enough to flip her off and tell her to "rotate outta here jack!"

yeah lets sue a small non mega corporate owned ski hill, I'm sure they aren't having a hard time paying the bills and keep the chairs running. I hope her pic is available so everyone in the Bham area can flip her off when they see her
    Carry on my wayward son...

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Remember cases like these the next time you want to avoid jury duty. "Smart people" often opt out of this civic duty for as long as they possibly can.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn View Post
    Remember cases like these the next time you want to avoid jury duty. "Smart people" often opt out of this civic duty for as long as they possibly can.
    "smart people" are eliminated during jury selection anyway

remember OJ's jury?

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

I'm going to disagree with the majority.

The resort pays people to clean the toilets but can't keep snow and ice from building up on the roof? Roof avalanches are dangerous, and I don't think that warning signs are good enough because signs don't FIX the problem. The thing is, this type of event could have killed a small child or anyone who doesn't read English.

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Quote Originally Posted by haydukelives View Post
    "smart people" are eliminated during jury selection anyway

remember OJ's jury?
    Civil cases are very different than criminal ones, the party with the most money behind their side of the argument wins. If you believe that all the people who go free are innocent and all the people who are convicted are guilty... I have a bridge to sell you.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

I'm going to disagree with the majority.

The resort pays people to clean the toilets but can't keep snow and ice from building up on the roof? Roof avalanches are dangerous, and I don't think that warning signs are good enough because signs don't FIX the problem. The thing is, this type of event could have killed a small child or anyone who doesn't read English.

Jesus fucking CHRIST we are a nation full of pussies.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    Given the amount it snows at Mt. Baker, and the high rate at which it can accumulate, it's not possible to "fix" the problem in the manner that you suggest. Last year, not a massive snow year, they had 34 days with >6" of snowfall. Even that much snow coming off the roof could well injure someone.

The problem isn't so much lack of personal responsibility; the problem is the medical system which produces:
    past and future medical expenses of more than $2.6 million
    Of note: Average expected lifetime income of someone in the US with a Masters degree is $2.5 million