Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Chilling outside basoms window right now, chugging a pigeon

is a wicked sweet red tail hawk.

homie is five feet from my face, in a tree, just tearing this pigeon to shreads. i've been watching it for about half an hour. it seemed pretty cool with me, so i opened up the window and the screen to document the feast.

home boy is now done with brekfast, doing a little feather maintenance, and generaly chilling the fuck out.

i named it Thelonious. although i don't know how to tell if buddy is a lady or a man hawk.

anyways, pretty bird eh?
    Last edited by basom; 11-04-2005 at 12:40 PM.

theo has redeye in the second photo.

i think he's baked. thats why i named him thelonious, he likes a good toke like his namesake.

Nice, I bet there aren't a lot of pictures that have both a redtail hawk and the Tobin bridge in them.

yuh. tobin is lookin good for this time of day.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Thumbs up

Awesome! Nice close-up shot. That's one fierce lookin' bird.

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Quote Originally Posted by basom
    i think he's baked. thats why i named him thelonious, he likes a good toke like his namesake.
    projecting a little bit here, are we?

You reckon he'd like a Jumbo Jack?

Those pics are quality.

little known factoid: Charelstown in Wampanoag translates too: land teaming with red tail hawks. true story.

edit: Gonz, i asked thelonious if he wanted to buy your router when i opened the window. i specificly mentioned how it could be usefull for his nest construction. he's gooing to think it over, i gave him your email.
    Last edited by basom; 11-17-2004 at 08:11 AM.

"What the fuck are you lookin at?"

"You're next...bitch!"

edit: Gonz, i asked thelonious if he wanted to buy your router when i opened the window. i specificly mentioned how it could be usefull for his nest construction. he's gooing to think it over, i gave him your email.
    but does he have your Halo 2 copy to join vinz, stump832 and I

little known factoid: Charelstown in Wampanoag translates too: land teaming with red tail hawks. true story.

Another little known factoid: Hawks are master capenters. In fact Norm from Yankee workshop is a hawk in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum
    but does he have your Halo 2 copy to join vinz, stump832 and I
    hmmmmm.

hold on i'll ask.

nope, he doesn't have it on him today.
    he also reminded me that i only have dialup at home, and am too busy in the evenings with my stripping schedual to set up DSL at the moment. which was good, because i had forgotten about my gig tonight.
    Last edited by basom; 11-17-2004 at 08:22 AM. Reason: to add qoute

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    Another little known factoid: Hawks are master capenters. In fact Norm from Yankee workshop is a hawk in disguise.
    I'm still trying to figure out who irritates me more, Norm or Bob Villa?

Yo, Basom. You need to throw some bread crumbs around your neighborhood to attract more pigeons.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Sweet pics, I have been seeing a lot of Red Tails lately, but none that close up.

From the title of the thread I thought that you were sitting outside your window chugging a pigeon. Was a bit concerned, then I opened the thread.

Once again. sweet pics, my wife will get a kick out of them.

i honestly don't know if we could possibly have more pigeons around our shop. its like god damn Trafalgar Square. Thelonious won't be going hungry any time soon, thats for damn sure.

Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude
    is that pic taken at work?

you definitely need to start feeding the pigeons around Chucktown and take more pictures of the gnar when the hawk chows them. I mean there is a colony of hundreds of them at Sullivan Square, should be easy enough. I guess then of course you can't alert your homies that the po-po or a rival gang are in your barrio by flipping pigeons cuz they'll all be dead, but you could fight them off with gonzo's router.
    thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by Keoni
    I'm still trying to figure out who irritates me more, Norm or Bob Villa?
    Well it's close, but you gotta go with Bob on that one, at least Norm knows what he's squawking...errr, talking about.

yeah, bob got fired from this old house because he is owned and operated by sears. plus, he's not a red tail hawk.

Thumbs up

Sweet pic. What a sight to see!
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Since he is obviously puffed up, he's going to need a little bird of prey daybed to rack out on. Maybe you could whip something up for him?

Last edited by basom; 11-04-2005 at 12:41 PM.

^^^^^

Not Bob Vila.

Some of you older folks may remember this story from "Unsmart things done v.1.0" (which should be found and bumped, by the way).

If anyone here went to Colorado College between 1996-2000, you may remember several biology students who were falconers. Well, those were my roommates. So at any one time, living in my house were a Red tailed hawk, a Goshawk, a Harris hawk, and your occasional Peregrine falcon. Every few days, we'd drive out to the plains to the east of Colorado Springs and hunt jackrabbits to feed the hawks. We wouldn't hunt them with guns or traps, we'd hunt them with the birds. This was quite often extremely entertaining. Especially the one time we went "drive-by hawking." This entailed me driving my one roommate's truck, with him sitting shotgun with the Harris hawk on his right fist, hooded. We'd drive around the suburbs of CS until we found a bunch of crows chilling out in a tree or on a lawn. Then, I'd creep up real slow-like, he'd roll down the window, slowly extend his arm, and pull the hood off and release her jesses, throwing her towards the crows.

My favorite hunt happened to take place at the playground of the Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind. We pulled alongside the playground, taking in the idyllic scene of a class of young kids enjoying their recess outside, with many of them running laps around the track with one hand on the railing. In the middle of the track was a large, bare cottonwood, with at least 15 crows hanging out in it's branches. As we came to a stop, what happened next can only be described as a cross between the last scenes of Star Wars as the Death Star meets its untimely end and the best parts of Iron Eagle. (Cappyyyy!) Off tears the hawk right at the crows, who immediately take flight, bleating for their lives, swooping and diving like a doomed squadron of Luftwaffe over Berlin in 1942.

The kids, being unable to see or in some cases hear the source of the chaos unfolding in the air above them, began to scatter, as the hawk zeroed in on the slowest bird of the bunch. Making impact with voracious tenacity, the two birds tumbled to the ground and the feast began. As the last breaths of life were wrested from the crow, it released its ungodly death rattles, drowned out only by the piercing cry of the hawk and the terrified shrieks of the children. Over runs my roommate, grabs them both, hoods his bird, and wrests the shredded carcass of the unfortunate crow from the raptor's clutches. I gunned it just as the instructor was running towards us boasting a stern look of consternation. Angling the truck so as to make the license plates unreadable, I peeled out into the dusk.

The picture Basom posted is so familiar it chills my blood. In extremely cold days, the birds would move into our living room, and the favorite perch of the red tail was the top of my favorite lazy boy in our living room. So those eyes, those beady yellow eyes, would follow me intently as I traipsed ever so quietly through the living room en route to the kitchen. One couldn't retrieve a pint of Ben and Jerry's from the freezer in our kitchen without moving aside the hordes of dead furry rabbits and squirrels stored in the door and on the shelves. Ahh...memories.
    Last edited by Lane Meyer; 11-17-2004 at 09:42 AM.