Heating a workshop

I'm building a 12 x 20 workshop. I'm going to be using a chemicals (acetone, denatured alcohol, varnishes etc.) and epoxies as well as woodworking. This structure will be uninsulated and fairly drafty with windows and an exhaust fan in the peak as well.

My question is with that kind of ventilation will I be stupid to try to use a small wood stove in there for heat? The stove would be at least 15 feet away from any work space or storage of potentially volatile substances.

Or should I look at more at an electric baseboard heater or oil filled radiant heaters?

thanks
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

I use a Monitor heater in my shop and it works great. Very efficient and takes combustion air from outside the building so exhaust fan would not effect draft or exhaust of heater.

teah the exhaust fan would also be a problem for the wood stove

WhiteRoom Skis

Herman-Nelsons are the shiznit. Check out their indirect-fired heaters if you don't want to die.

craigslist find 2 5 foot electric heaters for $35.

WhiteRoom Skis

A woodstove would be tricky, but could be worth your while- Because you'll be pulling a lot of air out of the shop with the ventilation, you'll want some kind of radiant heat. If you choose a convective heat source (hot air blower) you'll lose a LOT of efficiency because much of the air you heat will be sucked right out through your ventilation. A radiant source, which will heat the masses in your shop without heating the air (as much) will be much more efficient.

A woodstove would be a great heat source if the vent doesn't prevent you from getting a draft. Maybe try some of the overhead radiant systems designed for shops, or a hot water boiler with some old cast-iron radiators....

Edit: I just noticed that you're building new- do subfloor radiant. It's cheap, easy, and will be perfect for what you're describing. Pure radiant heat, no worries about draft or anything else. You can start with a gas or oil heat source and add an outdoor wood boiler later...

I won't be going so fancy as a wood boiler with radiant heat. I may do a mix of electric radiant heat and wood heat for when I'm not working with fumes. Much of the time I won't have to worry about fumes just during certain parts of what I'm building. So at those times I can fire up the electric and when I don't have to worry about fumes I can have the wood fire.

The epoxy I'l be using has a flash point for fumes of 200-300 deg. It would more the acetone based stuff or alcohol based stuff. that would be more volatile.

WhiteRoom Skis

craigslist find of the day: fiberglass insulation: a couple hundred dollars worth of material for $10. This will go a long way towards helping out in my shop.

WhiteRoom Skis

insulation - key

My days of keeping a garage warmed up in Vt were frustrating due to the lack of insulation.... Half the day just to get it to temp.... But, that's why I kept a full bar and bong in there I guess.

I picked up the insulation today. The guy said there was $500 in material when it was new. This stuff is in great shape with most of it 24 inches wide.

WhiteRoom Skis

If the fire is on in the wood stove before you start with the volatile products would it be a problem? Won't the draft from the woodstove do a good job of taking away the vapours? If the vapours got to such a level that there was a explosion concern wouldn't you be on the floor passed out already?

Sorry more questions than answers.

We're thinking of building about the same thing 12' by about 20 or 18 though front half would be a small guest cabin and back would be workshop - work bench , tool storage, saddle and tack storage.

What type of foundation do you plan on using? piers?
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

missed the part about exhaust fan. Could do external combustion air or could you have a supply fan to pressurize the space and have a exhaust louver?
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

You're over thinking this. Just put in the insulation to make it good and airtight. Then pull the car in, close the door and make sure three are no leaks, and then crank the heater. You'll be fine in no time!!

Gravity. It's the law.

yeah now that I have the insulation, I'm just going with the electric baseboard heaters I picked up on craigslist.

My shop is being build on cement blocks and skids.

I'm putting 3/8 inch foam sheet insulation under the plywood floor and under the metal roofing. This is only R3 insulation but it will serve more as a barrier to cold air draft than anything else to seal things up. The insulation I will put in the walls is anything from R13 to R19. This will keep things cosy.

WhiteRoom Skis

The floor is basically done. I should be framing the walls this weekend.

WhiteRoom Skis

pics

Where's the pics after all this posting.

I'll post up something this weekend after I get some real framing done. The floor is now done and I'm ready to frame wall. Picking up windows tomorrow.

WhiteRoom Skis

got 2 walls framed and standing. hoping to get the other 2 walls done tomorrow. Would be great if we could get to the rafters tomorrow but not sure that will happen.

WhiteRoom Skis