In Lausanne for a year

Hey, I'm new here even though I've been lurking for years. I'm a long time Newschoolers member ... but I gotta say NS is not what it used to be. So I'm turning to you guys to get advice.

I'm going to stay in Lausanne for a year (student exchange with UNIL) and I was wondering what were my options regarding skiing in that area. I saw a thread on this but it was old so I figured out I might as well ask again.

Am I better off with a season pass somewhere ... let's say at Verbier or just straight up buying a stack of tickets at different places? Or what about the Valais card? What are the places to check out? Portes-du-Soleil, G3000, St-Bernard? Ease of access is a + since I won't have a car.

Any other information on what's good in the Lausanne area would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Look in the Snow for the Euros thread and also at this thread here: [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164691"]Best skiing near Lausanne, CH? - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame] . I'm conscious that is the one you may already have seen but I think the advice in that is still current.

My personal option would be the Mont Blanc unlimited pass getting you Chamonix and Verbier on the same ticket but then I like Verbier and not everyone does.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_phil View Post
    Hey, I'm new here even though I've been lurking for years. I'm a long time Newschoolers member ... but I gotta say NS is not what it used to be. So I'm turning to you guys to get advice.

I'm going to stay in Lausanne for a year (student exchange with UNIL) and I was wondering what were my options regarding skiing in that area. I saw a thread on this but it was old so I figured out I might as well ask again.

Am I better off with a season pass somewhere ... let's say at Verbier or just straight up buying a stack of tickets at different places? Or what about the Valais card? What are the places to check out? Portes-du-Soleil, G3000, St-Bernard? Ease of access is a + since I won't have a car.

Any other information on what's good in the Lausanne area would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Hi there. There are a few of us in Lausanne and the area. Welcome.

My advice is don't bother with a season pass. I know others know get a pass for leysin-diablerets. This does appear to be a good deal. However, i follow the snow and actually spend most weekends touring and only buy a pass when there is fresh. Passes like verbier you need to get a lot of days to make it pay. Feasible, but you wont get much experience at other resorts.

In summary, Lausanne gives excellent access to a wide variety of skiing options. The closet is within 1hour drive (and train), within 2 hours you have huge choice.

I actually just moved to Lausanne after living in Chamonix last year. I can say that if you can make it worth it, it would be a good idea to buy a pass to either chamonix/verbier or les diablerets. I enjoy climbing and skiing until the end of may, which is when the cham pass is valid until. If you're not a big climber and you don't like the ski/mountaineering of the springtime, I would say go with out a pass and tour.

As for the others, I would like to meet some Lausanne people who tour, how about a pub night some time?

whaaaat??? my buddy powdherb is in lausanne and didn't call me???

that's ok, p@wder has been here for years and still hasn't hooked me up. we cross paths about once a season in zinal early season but that's about it. i'll get first tracks this season! haha

i am going to go out on a limb and say that i would not recommend the diablerets (alpes vaudiose) pass anymore. last season was my last season for the pass. there are a few problems with it.

a) glacier3000, the spot you want to ski, isn't in good condition usually until well into february. up till then it's windripped and thin offpiste.
    b) the other areas are small and family oriented. they have some fun short tree sections (leysin is actually a good spot for storm skiing) but get old quick.
    c) for touring in the alpe vaudiose, it's pretty low except for the glacier, and that's kinda limited unless you want to slog all the way over to lenk or crans montana. everything you will want to ski at the glacier can be done without touring gear.
    d) if you are based in lausanne, there are so many other options within nearly the same drive time that it's just not worth it to be tied down to one area.
    e) there are many deals to be had early season and even in-season in the valais. you have 25chf days in zinal (probably others if you check around) and then 20chf days rotating through the pay du st bernard region. when the snow is bad just find a cheap spot and explore
    f) a pass just makes following the pow that much more difficult. you will always lean to your pass and that makes exploring new pow difficult.

the only benefit is if you like to ski every weekend, and by ski i mean get out and run the pistes if there is no fresh pow. a pass is good insurance for bad pow and gets you out when you might not otherwise go. but then again, if you are into touring you got that option.

i finished last season with 15 days on my pass, 2-3 days short of break even. not bad but many of those days could've been spent someplace better or at least different.

the real problem with lausanne is that you have too many options...
    so I suggest not getting a season pass, because in this way you are free to follow the snow, and it's impossible to tell in advance where you will find the best powder.

as for touring you can check out the jura, not big mountains but amazing view on the lake.
    have fun!! lausanne is great..

Enjoy the french girls. Make sure you tell them to go easy with the teeth, they can get carried away. A passionate people..

Thanks a lot guys! Your posts are really helpful. I just arrived in Lausanne, like a day ago, still in jetlag mode. I'm in the Rhodanie dorms and starting my courses at UNIL in about a week. The city is AWESOME.

Anyone got lifestyle related advice as of what bars are good/where to eat etc.? Ski shopes?

Also, I just got the Mobilis pass for the 11/12 zones and the CFF 1/2 tarif pass. Do I need any other passes to make my travel to ski areas more cheap/easy?

I've talked to a bunch of people but none of them seem to ski a lot. They also favorise Portes du Soleil, which, according to the other thread, seems to suck a little.

If any of yall are down to meet up that would be great!

I'm bumping this.

I'm going away this weekend but if anyone wants to grab a beer tuesday, we could convene at The Great Escape near riponne. Send me a pm if interested.

ok I'll pm you.

btw swiss girls are beautifulllllllllllllllllll. I went to this place called Darling yesterday but it was not so nice. What are the places to go? I'm in a dorm with a bunch of students but no one is from Switzerland so we don't know the place that much.

You could get a seasonal for Pays du Gd- St-Bernard (includes: Les Marecottes, Bruson, Champex, Vicheres, La Fouly, Super St-Bernard and gives you half price on *ANY* ticket of Verbier or 4 Vallees and moreover 8 coupons for half price in any resort of Valais and Vaud). Price is 420 sfr.

Valais Card is comfortable but not so convenient.