Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    "Salvation" from what?
    Toxic squash syndrome.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

"Salvation" from what?
    The need for evidence. Do you always need evidence and absolute proof that the cornice isn't going to break under you?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

If it'll hold a couple seal bombs, I'm usually good with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    The need for evidence. Do you always need evidence and absolute proof that the cornice isn't going to break under you?
    Generally a good rule of thumb given the consequences.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

If it'll hold a couple seal bombs, I'm usually good with it.
    Generally a good rule of thumb given the consequences.
    Ever been on one that you didn't personally test first and instead relied on 2nd hand information without concrete first hand proof? Ever been one one that didn't hold as expected?? Is there really such thing as "absolute proof" it won't break under you?

Is this Matty3:16?
    There's no "absolute proof" the sun will rise tomorrow, but we can be pretty sure it will.
    In fact, one of the amazing and fun things about science is that sometimes, through careful observation, often aided by advances in technology, it can help us find fun surprises most people don't expect. Ie, the sun isn't actually rising.
    No longer stuck.

Ever been on one that you didn't personally test first and instead relied on 2nd hand information without concrete first hand proof? Ever been one one that didn't hold as expected?? Is there really such thing as "absolute proof" it won't break under you?
    What does that have to do with the afterlife lottery? What second hand information are we relying on for the existence of such a thing? Your Aunt Rhoda’s ghost stories?

I guess to answer your question, if some guy told me “that cornice is safe, I know because I saw it in a vision, just have faith,” and that same person had also said a bunch of crazy fucking shit about how it’s cool to rape your slaves and espoused geocentrism and talked about giant floods and how some guy built a big wooden boat and saved all the animals you see today..... yeah. I wouldn’t get on that fucking cornice.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Toxic squash syndrome.
    Vengeance is mine, saith the Gourd.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    What does that have to do with the afterlife lottery? What second hand information are we relying on for the existence of such a thing? Your Aunt Rhoda’s ghost stories?

I guess to answer your question, if some guy told me “that cornice is safe, I know because I saw it in a vision, just have faith,” and that same person had also said a bunch of crazy fucking shit about how it’s cool to rape your slaves and espoused geocentrism and talked about giant floods and how some guy built a big wooden boat and saved all the animals you see today..... yeah. I wouldn’t get on that fucking cornice.
    Ya, but if your instincts told you it was good based on what you observed and your own personal experiences with no actual objective evidence, not actually seeing others going off it, only seeing some tracks would you??

FWIW, I don't believe any particular holy book or canned religious doctrine is infallible.

Ya, but if your instincts told you... what you observed ... with no actual objective evidence, ...not actually seeing others going off it, ...only seeing some tracks would you??
    We get it. You're saying that your judgement and evaluation skills are terrible and no one should ever going touring with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Vengeance is mine, saith the Gourd.
    where the fuck is the "like" button?

Ya, but if your instincts told you it was good based on what you observed and your own personal experiences with no actual objective evidence, not actually seeing others going off it, only seeing some tracks would you??

FWIW, I don't believe any particular holy book or canned religious doctrine is infallible.
    Could have fooled me.
    No longer stuck.

Stephen Hawking: God didn't create universe

Hold on. We moved off of 2nd hand info that quickly to “trust your gut?” Just throwing shit up until something sticks? Do you have any rational or logical bases to your arguments? It would be more fun if you did....

So, in the new argument, what constitutes the tracks that I see? Would those be fucking ghosts? Did I see somebody’s ethereal soul rise up to heaven? What the hell are you even talking about? To be 100% clear, if there are no tracks (there aren’t), or even if there are tracks, you would not be serving your fellow skiers well by telling them it’s fine because you feel good about it.

Again, our loved ones do not benefit from a final soul searching re: whether they’re going to heaven or hell. It’s a travesty that so many insist on giving that to them out of a selfish, fervent desire that it be true in the face of all logic.
    focus.

Nobody gives anybody anything. They take it on themselves. Or they don't. Free will.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Hold on. We moved off of 2nd hand info that quickly to “trust your gut?” Just throwing shit up until something sticks? Do you have any rational or logical bases to your arguments? It would be more fun if you did....
    No, the argument is that most of us will ski terrain that we're not "absolutely certain" is 100% safe. We all take risks. Younger folks tend to take bigger risks than older folks do. That's because the brain isn't mature until age 25 or so.

As for the tracks, or evidence.. Your interpretation of them may vary from others.. How old are they? Is the temp and humidity the same now as it was when the tracks were made? As for 2nd hand info, you tell a friend you saw others drop the cornice 30 minutes ago. It's up to them to trust you.. put their faith in you and your word. That's far for absolute certainty..

No preacher or friend or other person can "give" religion to another person. Anyone trying to force it on others, I agree, is doing a dis service. We all must decide for ourselves. Listening to spiritual experiences shared by others takes a back seat to your own, or lack of them. Personally, I believe there is a higher power that reaches out to each of us at different points in our lives. We don't have to listen though. And, I don't believe religion dictates morality either. Total athiests can be as righteous morally as anyone else. They may be missing something spiritually that others aren't though..

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    stupid AF
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

If you really believe what you do, then that's very noble, but you started positing a hypothesis in a way that to me and I think other readers read exactly like some droll shit a creationist/fundamentalist would say.
    Just fyi
    No longer stuck.

Jesus will hold up the bridge = find a new engineer
    Jesus will hold up the cornice = find a new guide

Now let us misapply Schrodinger to say that until skied, the cornice has both collapsed and not collapsed!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

If my guide tells me which direction to go, will I no longer no where I am?
    Help! Mind blown.
    No longer stuck.

That's because the brain isn't mature until age 25 or so.
    I got news for ya, kid.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Name:  IMG_2942.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  94.7 KB

... And, I don't believe religion dictates morality either. Total athiests can be as righteous morally as anyone else. They may be missing something spiritually that others aren't though..
    Woosh

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Name:  IMG_2942.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  94.7 KB
    What if Hawking is wrong?

Had a client that coded died and was revived at an accident scene. Claimed he was told he would depart when the bell tolled the 7th time. It rang six and he re-entered his body. Then he claimed the same experience when he coded on the OR table.

Who knows, life is a gamble. Roll away.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    stupid AF
    That’s ok. I’m sure someone would explain it for you

Woosh

Umm, seeking martyrdom is so first century. The organization has recognized that a little stability at the top is best.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.