Anyone have any good rocker hiking/running shoe sugggestions?

Dr and PT guy said I need to get a pair to help with recovery from a recent injury. I have been looking at the technica tarantula but the reviews seem weak. The zamberlans are awesome boots but I do not need all that weight for my purposes. Any other ideas would be great.

thanks!

By rocker, do you mean a shoe like the MBT?

If your MD & PT said get a pair, you should get them. However, be careful wearing them. They have fallen out of vogue as therapeutic shoes because while they make heel strike and toe off easier, they are associated with lateral and medial ankle instability.

This can translate into increased ankle sprains. Tons of runners jumped on the rockered shoe wagon, then hopped off (so to speak) with frequent ankle sprains. Also, the rockered sole accelerates the midfoot stage of gait and most people can't athletically handle the increased foot speed.

This was a major topic of discussion at a foot conference I attended last winter.

Yeah, I've got the same question about your search for a "rocker." All or nearly all stiff mountaineering boots have some rocker (as do most AT boots), but I assume that's more boot than you seek.

+1 to what SIJ says about MBT's and other extreme rockers. (BTW, isn't the term "barefoot technology" an oxymoron? MBT, my ass.) It's a passing fad.

The Tarantula has a mild rocker, not much different that many other trail shoes which are not marketed as "rockers." The two pair of Tarantuas I've seen disintegrated after a few weeks of use.

Inov8 is doing some cool stuff with mild rockers.

Have you talked to your doc and PT about altering your running stride to a more COG-foward technique? Such an adjustment might yield similar benefit to a rockered shoe and, IMO, is the way most humans ought to run.

Whatever you do, get something that fits. Good luck with your recovery.

thanks guys, definitely not running with them. Just need them to attempt more weight bearing. Unfortunately, I have developed tendinitis as a result of this injury and its causing the heel to toe basic movement to be intolerable. So they think that the rocker will help tremendously and get me back to working on my knee in PT rather then trying to get this tendinitis out, minor set back...

Ouch. Sounds like a bitch of a nagging injury. Where's the tendonitis? AH? If so, how about a simple heel lift on the bad foot?

Best of luck.

TC - any orthotic/prosthetic shops near you? take a pair of boots/shoes you want modified, they can install custom rocker in the midsole. hell, even a good cobbler could manage that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Ouch. Sounds like a bitch of a nagging injury. Where's the tendonitis? AH? If so, how about a simple heel lift on the bad foot?

Best of luck.
    I have a custom heel lift in now, wondering if my sure foot inserts will help as well. The pain is right in the ankle and shin. Such a pain in the ass.

KT- thats a good idea and I thought about it, but no shops from rutland to burlington have them. I figured I am going to try the MBT's they look like a great shoe and their blog has me believing in them along with the testimonials. The shop said I can return for full refund.

these things look pretty hardcore and they are gore tex so they must be cool. and 60-70% off

Check out Hoka. Hit Stoy up for more info.