Page 31 of 85 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    Rain crain crust to top at Alpy this morning. Telemetry indicates same at Stevens and Xtal. You are warned.

I doubt there's rain crust at Xtal, all snow yesterday and I watched it snow on the radar up till this moment, no warms there I reckon.

Larry Schick is to blame.

Good news is the throng that got burned today won't be out in force if things improve later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by LandShark View Post
    I doubt there's rain crust at Xtal, all snow yesterday and I watched it snow on the radar up till this moment, no warms there I reckon.
    Telemetry indicates rain at Xtal base: Since midnight, 0.18" of precip, no snowfall and 5" decrease in snowpack. Maybe it's fine up higher, maybe not. Green Valley telemetry as limited info, as some of you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Telemetry indicates rain at Xtal base: Since midnight, 0.18" of precip, no snowfall and 5" decrease in snowpack. Maybe it's fine up higher, maybe not. Green Valley telemetry as limited info, as some of you know.
    Damn the telemetry, man! Well from 1st hand experience it was all hype and anti-climactic to say the least. Fog at the top for the first hour. Ski near the trees, hope the lite mist didn't freeze to your goggles, and render you blind. Still a few good turns in the very wind affected snow. Lift lines were getting ridiculous by 11 AM. Poor saps buying tickets were the longest lift lines I've seen since, well, since last week when Xtal ticket windows lost power.

But Green Valley was nice for a few runs. High Campbell was good but the line was a good 20 minute wait. Nothing to write home about. Certainly not epic but better than being at work. Anything below Forest Queen was crunchy. Left at 11:30 AM and the parking crews were having a hard time finding spots for the vehicles that just didn't stop coming. Good day for the Xtal cash register I'm sure.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

What was with all the fire trucks and ambulances going up xtal around 4?

Any beta on whether Stevens got the rumored rain crust? Was up there yesterday and it was sickter deep. Curious where things stand now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Any beta on whether Stevens got the rumored rain crust? Was up there yesterday and it was sickter deep. Curious where things stand now.
    Not quite rain crust, but really really soupy! All that fine fine snow is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    ^^jeri534

I think we saw you in Moonlight. We lapped moonlight 3 times before heading home. It was probably the best ski day of 2010 for me. Consistently good powder top to bottom all day and no one around to compete with. When it's good you have to go...
    nice, that zone is freaking awesome, trees spaced perfectly, blower snow...I want to do more laps there!

do you guys hike back up the ridge and ride the skintrack down back to the snow road or do you ride all the way down and hike up Hwy 2?

No rain crust whatsoever at xtal.

Very, very busy.

Some good turns in NW before line got crazy.

SB opened 1.00ish. Sublime dense PNW pow off of king.

Not as good as yesterday overall other than for those SB turns.

Holidayze brought out a bunch of pushy, shouty aholes. Yes it is traditional and acceptable to put skis in line for the chair before it opens, no it is not not ok to try and move them. Yes we are standing in a line for a gate to open. It is not ok to ski straight up to the front...that's why you got shoulder charged of the traverse.... cunts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

crystal was a shitshow, so many people for 6" of heavy snow

Quote Originally Posted by jeri534 View Post
    crystal was a shitshow, so many people for 6" of heavy snow
    You were in the wrong spots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    You were in the wrong spots.
    yeah, not too familiar with crystal, I always thought northway area was slackcountry gates, didnt realize everyone hiked up that area and you didnt need a pack...

I had some good turns..

Quote Originally Posted by TyeStick View Post
    Not quite rain crust, but really really soupy! All that fine fine snow is gone.
    Glad I didn't bust my hump to make it back up today. My sore old man legs wouldn't have liked the heavy stuff after yesterday's lightness.

tomorrow is gonna be nuts. and Thursday. And Friday.

Is chair 2 of alpy safe from the crust? It was awful lower down...

Quote Originally Posted by twbarrett View Post
    no, equally awful.

so resort skiing in wa is going to suck for the next few days, but weather looks good to get some touring in. any ideas on what might be good and not have the crust? even paradise telemetry at 5500 shows a good amount of rain from early this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    no, equally awful.

so resort skiing in wa is going to suck for the next few days, but weather looks good to get some touring in. any ideas on what might be good and not have the crust? even paradise telemetry at 5500 shows a good amount of rain from early this morning.
    I was hoping to get a few days of good hiking around the area later this week during the high pressure. One of the benefits of the storm shifting more southward is that we got colder after the warming earlier and with less rain overall. Up to ~4500 was rained on and will be crusty, but the top half of the area stayed decently cold.

Big thanks to Steve on the 191 lhasa's and his crew Paul and I'm sorry but I'm not sure about the other guys name. First day at xtal and no way would I have found the shots we skied without being shown the way. Just goes to show that if you're at a new resort just follow the dudes on bros and you'll get the goods.

Good people up there. And thanks to Mike from Tacoma, who gave me a beer on the Rex lift to share with his 2 buddies (um I mean we each got our own). That was the highlight of my day actually, aside from all the kill powder I slayed in the AM.

BTW - am considering Crystal, or maybe less crowded White Pass trees tomorrow. Or maybe stay home and hide from the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by twbarrett View Post

Summit Snow-phone propaganda called this "Variable Conditions" and they lured a lot of people in by acting upbeat about it but never giving the actual info.

Took one lap, then bailed. Swore the whole way home I'd NEVER check Snow-phone or conditions on their website again. I got suckered.

Quote Originally Posted by LandShark View Post

BTW - am considering Crystal, or maybe less crowded White Pass trees tomorrow. Or maybe stay home and hide from the masses.
    White Pass was great today. No sign of any rain crust and pretty deep in the upper new area off the ridge. Wish I had Wednesday off to enjoy some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    What was with all the fire trucks and ambulances going up xtal around 4?
    Saw one older gent who had imploded on a cat track. He smashed his arm and maybe shoulder too. Notified Ski patrol, and then called it a day. Would not doubt that there were a few gaper collisions based on the crowds.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by jeri534 View Post
    nice, that zone is freaking awesome, trees spaced perfectly, blower snow...I want to do more laps there!

do you guys hike back up the ridge and ride the skintrack down back to the snow road or do you ride all the way down and hike up Hwy 2?
    We ride down through the trees until you hit the old railroad grade/pct trail. From there it's a perfectly flat 15 minute skin back to the parking lot. The only problem is that you need a pretty good base for the lower treed section to be skiable due to the high amount of slide alder. It's just now getting filled in.

Quite the dumpage in North Bend over the last few hours. I've got almost 3 inches on the deck and a there is a good inch on the road outside my place.
    I'm up from the valley floor a couple hundred feet though.
    Still coming down pretty good too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Koons View Post
    Amirite? Am I fuckin rite? Somebody testify. Gun held sideways. You want to meet up to ski? Eat a dick, worthless scum jong.