Page 1 of 85 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 2104
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    Posts
    6,592

    SNOW IN THE PNW 2010/2011!

    Last season's thread is still puttering along but now that we've had some new snow in the mountains, I think a new thread is in order.

    Just to get the ball rolling, I give you Mt. Shuksan with a light dusting up high from the night of August 28-9:



    I'll be back at Baker in November, and I expect at least a 2m base by the time I get there. If not, we'll have to sacrifice some of those east coasters.
    Last edited by hop; 10-26-2010 at 07:10 PM.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

    Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

    The Bonin Petrels

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,455
    gift accepted - sacrifices on hold.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2
    Where's the to video ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    hamsterland
    Posts
    711
    bring on la nina! sooo excited!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Fish
    Posts
    3,015
    Moving to Bellingham in one week, looks like I should be able to go find some turns sooner than later.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

    Formerly Rludes025

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Right Coast transplant
    Posts
    3,032
    nice Shuk pic.

    I just got back from my August turns on Rainier.
    12 months baby!!!

    The muir snowfield is in a bad way. Large, super hard suncups and pintle (sp?) ice.
    I found a little creamy stuff around 8500' skiers right on the field.
    Visibility sucked balls, so I stopped before the final slog to Muir. I hit about 9300'.
    Despite mediocre conditions and weather, it was another worthwhile trip up Rainier
    Live

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,575
    Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    ....we'll have to sacrifice some of those east coasters.
    *gulp*

    Quote Originally Posted by skiingsamurai View Post
    nice Shuk pic.

    I just got back from my August turns on Rainier.
    12 months baby!!!

    The muir snowfield is in a bad way. Large, super hard suncups and pintle (sp?) ice.
    I found a little creamy stuff around 8500' skiers right on the field.
    Visibility sucked balls, so I stopped before the final slog to Muir. I hit about 9300'.
    Despite mediocre conditions and weather, it was another worthwhile trip up Rainier
    It looks like they might pick up some more significant snow this week. I am not knowledgeable enough to tell if that will actually improve the skiing given how high the freezing level will be.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bellingham
    Posts
    1,694
    I went up to Artist Point yesterday to hike around and saw someone skiing out past Table in the direction of Mt. Baker. All I could really see was a black speck making turns on white steepness. It was just about dark so when I saw them climbing back up I figure they must be camping up there somewhere.
    There was more snow at the parking lot than I've seen at the end of August in some time. Bring it La Nina!
    In drove this drunken madman and stopped on a dime! Unfortunately the dime was in Mr. Rococo's pocket!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,392
    well, aren't you getting ahead of yourself you stinky hippie....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    Posts
    6,592
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
    I went up to Artist Point yesterday to hike around and saw someone skiing out past Table in the direction of Mt. Baker. All I could really see was a black speck making turns on white steepness. It was just about dark so when I saw them climbing back up I figure they must be camping up there somewhere.
    There was more snow at the parking lot than I've seen at the end of August in some time. Bring it La Nina!
    I brought the lady friend hiking around Table and then up to Pan Dome and left just before sunset. Must've just missed you!

    Quote Originally Posted by midget View Post
    well, aren't you getting ahead of yourself you stinky hippie....
    Yeah, maybe, but we got some new snow so suck it. Too bad I just arrived in Hawaii for a two-month gig. One day down, 59 to go, and then I return to wintertime.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

    Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

    The Bonin Petrels

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    A Material World
    Posts
    1,607
    Palmer is still in great shape. Funny how there is so much more snow than last year at this time.
    "Unfortunately, Meadows mgmt/marketing found out about the PR stash and published it on their trail map."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    16
    Looks like a road trip might be in order to one of your NW volcanos.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Powder Mountain
    Posts
    729
    me gusta, te gusta?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,575
    These icons make me happy:

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    29,918
    Quote Originally Posted by skiingsamurai View Post
    pintle (sp?) ice.
    Penitentes?

    Timely thread. Deliciously Autumnal in the PNW this morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Right Coast transplant
    Posts
    3,032
    ^^could be
    a couple skiers came down out of the white abyss and told me it wasnt worth heading up further than 9300'
    Live

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    219
    I can't wait for the new season. So far, just finished enjoying the washington coast...but can't wait to get into the mountains when they are freshly snowbound.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sea Level
    Posts
    3,625
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Timely thread. Deliciously Autumnal in the PNW this morning.
    Autumnal? Felt like January on my bike.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

    Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,575
    I might go up to Muir on Thursday and check out what fell from the sky.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28,888
    really just want to wish this thread epic radness and joy along with the cool stories and pics that is the fruit of tgr.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Posts
    6,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    Autumnal? Felt like January on my bike.
    I second this.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    I second this.
    felt like jan while walking to the boat for work.nice and cool and pissing rain. Can only imagine up higher

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Right Coast transplant
    Posts
    3,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I might go up to Muir on Thursday and check out what fell from the sky.
    take pics and report back por favor

    It was picking up (snow) when I started my descent Sunday afternoon
    Live

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bellingham
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post

    I'll be back at Baker in November, and I expect at least a 2m base by the time I get there. If not, we'll have to sacrifice some of those east coasters.
    I say we sacrifice a couple east coasters now just to be safe. Maybe we should also throw in that australian photographer who swears a lot...
    smoke crack and worship satan

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Posts
    1,013
    Rode the Whistler Valley Trail on Aug 28th and Mt. Currie and Wedge had a lovely light dusting of snow ... put a smile on my face.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •