Page 31 of 82 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jeri534 View Post
    crystal was a shitshow, so many people for 6" of heavy snow
    You were in the wrong spots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    You were in the wrong spots.
    yeah, not too familiar with crystal, I always thought northway area was slackcountry gates, didnt realize everyone hiked up that area and you didnt need a pack...

I had some good turns..

Quote Originally Posted by TyeStick View Post
    Not quite rain crust, but really really soupy! All that fine fine snow is gone.
    Glad I didn't bust my hump to make it back up today. My sore old man legs wouldn't have liked the heavy stuff after yesterday's lightness.

tomorrow is gonna be nuts. and Thursday. And Friday.

Is chair 2 of alpy safe from the crust? It was awful lower down...

Quote Originally Posted by twbarrett View Post
    no, equally awful.

so resort skiing in wa is going to suck for the next few days, but weather looks good to get some touring in. any ideas on what might be good and not have the crust? even paradise telemetry at 5500 shows a good amount of rain from early this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    no, equally awful.

so resort skiing in wa is going to suck for the next few days, but weather looks good to get some touring in. any ideas on what might be good and not have the crust? even paradise telemetry at 5500 shows a good amount of rain from early this morning.
    I was hoping to get a few days of good hiking around the area later this week during the high pressure. One of the benefits of the storm shifting more southward is that we got colder after the warming earlier and with less rain overall. Up to ~4500 was rained on and will be crusty, but the top half of the area stayed decently cold.

Big thanks to Steve on the 191 lhasa's and his crew Paul and I'm sorry but I'm not sure about the other guys name. First day at xtal and no way would I have found the shots we skied without being shown the way. Just goes to show that if you're at a new resort just follow the dudes on bros and you'll get the goods.

Good people up there. And thanks to Mike from Tacoma, who gave me a beer on the Rex lift to share with his 2 buddies (um I mean we each got our own). That was the highlight of my day actually, aside from all the kill powder I slayed in the AM.

BTW - am considering Crystal, or maybe less crowded White Pass trees tomorrow. Or maybe stay home and hide from the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by twbarrett View Post

Summit Snow-phone propaganda called this "Variable Conditions" and they lured a lot of people in by acting upbeat about it but never giving the actual info.

Took one lap, then bailed. Swore the whole way home I'd NEVER check Snow-phone or conditions on their website again. I got suckered.

Quote Originally Posted by LandShark View Post

BTW - am considering Crystal, or maybe less crowded White Pass trees tomorrow. Or maybe stay home and hide from the masses.
    White Pass was great today. No sign of any rain crust and pretty deep in the upper new area off the ridge. Wish I had Wednesday off to enjoy some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    What was with all the fire trucks and ambulances going up xtal around 4?
    Saw one older gent who had imploded on a cat track. He smashed his arm and maybe shoulder too. Notified Ski patrol, and then called it a day. Would not doubt that there were a few gaper collisions based on the crowds.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by jeri534 View Post
    nice, that zone is freaking awesome, trees spaced perfectly, blower snow...I want to do more laps there!

do you guys hike back up the ridge and ride the skintrack down back to the snow road or do you ride all the way down and hike up Hwy 2?
    We ride down through the trees until you hit the old railroad grade/pct trail. From there it's a perfectly flat 15 minute skin back to the parking lot. The only problem is that you need a pretty good base for the lower treed section to be skiable due to the high amount of slide alder. It's just now getting filled in.

Quite the dumpage in North Bend over the last few hours. I've got almost 3 inches on the deck and a there is a good inch on the road outside my place.
    I'm up from the valley floor a couple hundred feet though.
    Still coming down pretty good too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Koons View Post
    Amirite? Am I fuckin rite? Somebody testify. Gun held sideways. You want to meet up to ski? Eat a dick, worthless scum jong.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    We ride down through the trees until you hit the old railroad grade/pct trail. From there it's a perfectly flat 15 minute skin back to the parking lot. The only problem is that you need a pretty good base for the lower treed section to be skiable due to the high amount of slide alder. It's just now getting filled in.
    thanks, that sounds a lot better than hiking back over the ridge and trying to ride back down through those dense trees and snowshoers on the road.

doughboyshredder Guest
    just got back from an hour or two up on the hill. Skipped out on alpy and hit silver fir. Ice layer is bad on anything even remotely not flat. New snow is getting deep, but it's so dry that it's not helping at all.

It's getting deeep in NW Montuckistan, wind blew 2 feet of snow into the trees and non North facing slopes. Ten degrees throughout the whole strorm, just sick sick pow, crust is gone.

I wish I had gone out today, but some errands popped up... Bluebird mass pow! I'm sure the lift lines were significant tho. Crystal and White Pass, blessed are those who made it (based on radar last night).

best day i've had in years up at Mt Spokane today. got sick of the wind up at Schweitzer the last few days and decided to mix things up. even with the mountain losing power at 1130 i got more good turns in than i have in the last two years it seems. a nice reminder of why i live for this sport.

Quote Originally Posted by LandShark View Post
    I wish I had gone out today, but some errands popped up... Bluebird mass pow! I'm sure the lift lines were significant tho. Crystal and White Pass, blessed are those who made it (based on radar last night).
    Crystal might have been nice. Snoqualmie got freezing rain yesterday, so despite all the fresh stuff it still doesn't look good for tomorrow.

Keep the puking on though! I'll be at Crystal Friday and want another nice deeeeep day

Dry sunny and cold tomorrow for sure, flurries tonight. Spokane rocked, eh? Nice to hear. Haven't been there, I'm told 49 degrees has better tree runs? Love Schweitzer, it treated me so well last year - but constantly whited out and windy. They can get some wicked quality snow though.

This is what it's been like at Mission everyday for the past two weeks-
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaGlunif0KU"]YouTube - mo slomo at Mission Ridge[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjQtkqzjUhc&feature=related"]YouTube - slomo in paradise[/nomedia]

anybody ski alpental late in the day today?
    is there enough snow to stay above the crust?

Quote Originally Posted by Eckels View Post
    anybody ski alpental late in the day today?
    is there enough snow to stay above the crust?
    yes... and sometimes.
    A mixed bag of faceshots and scraping loud snow with a bit of uncertainty on which you would get on the next turn. Super light stuff, it's going to take another 10" to bury the crust on the steeper stuff. Still 1,000,000x better than Tuesday which may have been all time on the suck meter.

FlowingAlpy, I'm inviting myself over to watch the Holiday Bowl tomorrow night.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

were the bc gates open/worth skiing?