Page 111 of 252 FirstFirst ... 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 6280
    Also, the "certain area" in question was Monte Wolf's.

Probably not the best example.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Why in the world would you think that?

I've seen things posted here and then the very next weekend, watched handshakes and heard introductions with everyone's TGR user names exchanged in parking lots several times. I'm not the only one either.

You'd be surprised how many people find out about places from here (me included and I've been hiking here 10 years)......and how many people get more interested in backcountry riding in general from seeing new and exciting places. But you also never saw what traffic was like around here BEFORE TGR/teletips etc... happened. This isn't the small intimate community it may have once been. We're all skinning around on somebody's secrets from generation to generation but I mean really...do you ever notice how many people view this forum, registered and unregistered? Share all you want, but just speaking for myself, I'm done with it.
    I think my subtle double-negative may have been confusing. I was trying to say that sharing info here naturally will only increase the number of people on certain lines, but that I thought the bigger cause of bc lines being skied more was the drastic increase in the number of bc skiers. True, the two are not mutually exclusive . . . but that's another issue.

As for sharing info, I certainly don't blame you for refraining. But, personally, as the recepient of a lot of online and hardcopy beta, I'd feel somewhat guilty/hypocritical if I didn't share (unless, of course, somebody else shows me something and asks me to keep it a secret).

Incidentally, look for my book, A Stalker's Guide To Kidwoo's Favorite Tahoe Bike Trails, out in stores this Summer.

But you also never saw what traffic was like around here BEFORE TGR/teletips etc... happened. This isn't the small intimate community it may have once been... Share all you want, but just speaking for myself, I'm done with it.
    I saw what traffic was like before TGR and teletips, splitboard, etc. Those changes took place at about the same time as Fritschis, Dynafits, and fat skis, so it's tough to place blame on just the online postings - but I tend to anyhow.

A while ago, a few of us went up to "**** *******" on a weekday (holiday though) and were shocked to see how many others had taken another skin track and beaten us to the top. I didn't think this particular line was on anyone's radar! Turns out it had been recently posted online. And a few days later, it appeared here on TGR as well.

And then to discover one of the most chronic TR posters here was in bed with with a marketing dept... classic.

STFU and go ski. Myself included...

"Stoke" or "Stroke" ??!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Incidentally, look for my book, A Stalker's Guide To Kidwoo's Favorite Tahoe Bike Trails, out in stores this Summer.
    You're going to miss those thumbs and ankles.

Bike trails are different. No one spends months and years building ski lines.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

May I suggest that you call it "A Motocrosser's Guide to Kidwoo's Favorite Tahoe Dirt Jumps"?

I hear those guys love the guidebooks. BRAAAAP!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by travis View Post
    I saw what traffic was like before TGR and teletips, splitboard, etc. Those changes took place at about the same time as Fritschis, Dynafits, and fat skis, so it's tough to place blame on just the online postings - but I tend to anyhow.

The equipment now definitely plays a huge part of this increase. Just a few years ago, many people hitting the BC now would not have been able to ski let alone shred much of the BC terrain with the narrow straight skis from back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    The equipment now definitely plays a huge part of this increase. Just a few years ago, many people hitting the BC now would not have been able to ski let alone shred much of the BC terrain with the narrow straight skis from back in the day.
    Oh for sure. I'm not saying that TGR is the sole reason more people are hiking. Just that when you put up lots and lots of information on a website read by tens of thousands of people every hour........that stuff gets read ya know
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

so not to spam you guys,
    but im trying to win a new board and
    all you have to do is "like" my photo on this shops facebook page.
    its towards the top,
    its of a cop car and posted by peter hruska
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Destin...0/175605767540
    itd help me a lot. thanks.

Pray for snow.

as for the topic on hand,
    i think the technology in skiing has made a huge difference in getting out into the BC.
    beacons, fritchis, fat skis, and even the gear we wear has made a HUGE difference to it. not only sasquatch can get out there now.

It's not just the availability of better backcountry gear (especially Dukes which let you ski in bounds and tour with one set of gear--not that anyone here has one set of gear) but the availability of better (wider) in-bounds gear, which is what forces would-be powder skiers into the backcountry. We are like wild animals--forced into marginal habitat by encroaching civilization.

"Why do they have such silly nicknames for each other?"
    This reminded me...

On Kirkwood opening day around Thanksgiving a few of us were on the shuttle bus back to Chair 6 because Chair 7 wasn't running yet and someone in the back shouts out, "HOW MANY MAGGOTS ARE ON THIS BUS? CHANGE FOR A NICKLE?"

10 at 10, bro!

Since the BC is so played, it looks like I'm going to ski inbounds this weekend...at the internationally famous international resort...despite the fact I'm blacked out...and it's a holiday weekend...might as well go all in.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if Squaw passholders get a discount on blackout days? The season ticket office always goes straight to voicemail and they're horrible about returning calls. I guess they don't like dealing with peons.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    This reminded me...

On Kirkwood opening day around Thanksgiving a few of us were on the shuttle bus back to Chair 6 because Chair 7 wasn't running yet and someone in the back shouts out, "HOW MANY MAGGOTS ARE ON THIS BUS? CHANGE FOR A NICKLE?"
    Was it Alex, harshing your mellow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

This reminded me...

I feel better knowing that one of the few people who have been skiing the internet as long as you have, back when that little diddy was first thought up, finds that stuff funny too.

Next time I see you somewhere, I'm going put my skis on backwards, my goggles upside down, and run up to you screaming with a speech impediment "hey yer tie rone shoo laces from the innernet ain't ya!!!!!??? I'm a maggot too!!"

Oh for sure. I'm not saying that TGR is the sole reason more people are hiking. Just that when you put up lots and lots of information on a website read by tens of thousands of people every hour........that stuff gets read ya know
    posting up to date and detailed conditions info on tgr, thebackcountry.net, and teletips has really led to certain places getting inundated, especially when conditions are good. imo, the increase in bc skiing, in the tahoe area at least, has a direct relation to these chat forums. to me, there's a clear relation between the internet forums, people blogging/bragging, types of gear that is used. advances in the gear (due to perceived and actual market demand), industry marketing, etc.

specific to tahoe, the luther pass area has always been a busy area, but nothing like it is now. this really started with the last big el nino year, when people on here and ttips were dawn patrolling it, then blogging about how great conditions were before heading to work or while at work on an almost daily basis. another example, how many parking spots are on wintoon?

a bigger picture that sticks in my mind is that sick landry line in CO that had 3 descents in a week because it was in condition and the first group of the 3 blogged/shared/bragged online (here, i think) right after the descent. previously, that line supposedly hadn't received a second descent because its condition was difficult to determine w/o enduring the big approach and potentially sketchy climb/downclimb.

on another note, maybe this wet weather will start up a corn cycle.

I feel better knowing that one of the few people who have been skiing the internet as long as you have, back when that little diddy was first thought up, finds that stuff funny too.
    I have never, ever used the phrase, "Got change for a nickle?" and never will. I've always thought and said 'here' that's it's stupid. I much prefer, "Hey my name is [insert REAL name here], how's it goin?". Why is it so hard to talk like normal people? And don't get me started on "change for a nickle" stickers....

Next time I see you somewhere, I'm going put my skis on backwards, my goggles upside down, and run up to you screaming with a speech impediment "hey yer tie rone shoo laces from the innernet ain't ya!!!!!??? I'm a maggot too!!"
    You've already been beated to the punch on that one

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Was it Alex, harshing your mellow?
    ha! no. wasn't him...not sure who it was. I think it was powderkillerextremetothemaxmountaindewredbull34235 .

I just miss the lost art of using people's real names around a ski hill.

And my bike is broken right now so I'm cranky. (<---pun intended for those who know how I broke my bike)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    I don't know, *****, *****, and *********ing to online ****ography are still pretty cool.
    That last one is "cockography" isn't it, you turd?
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

This reminded me...

I can't believe he didn't just recognize you and then proceed to follow you around the resort for the rest of the day.

Ha, I agree about the usernames. It feels awfully Top Gun. That said, I'm grateful for the limited anonymity I have. A long time ago, I read a book written by a certain judge. I thought it sucked, and, while I never write reviews on things, I decided to pan the book on Amazon. I didn't think anything of it, until a few years later when I was looking for a clerkship in the same area. I discovered that the review had been in my full name, it was by far the most popular review for the book, and it might have cost the judge a few thousand dollars in book sales. I think the judge or his literary agent even attempted to refute my review in other reviews. It was also a leading google hit if I googled my own name. Anyhow, nothing came of it, but I learned my lesson regarding online anonymity.
    Last edited by AKbruin; 01-13-2011 at 08:30 PM.

You've already been beated to the punch on that one
    No no, unlike arty, I'm going to do in on purpose

Ha, I agree about the usernames. It feels awfully Top Gun.

My name is KIIIIIIIDDDDDDD!!!!!

Last edited by kidwoo; 01-13-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I can give a shit about powder
    What? Oh, I get it now; it's one of those reverse jinx things cause we are getting no snow. Like washing your car, and posting naked pics of your gf. So you better post naked pics of your gf now to complete the reverse jinx.
    1 WIDE Ski
    'and don't worry its clean, because I never get laid anyways.' - leroy jenkins

No no, unlike arty, I'm going to do in on purpose
    My skis were on forwards thank you very much. As for the rest...no comment...
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    May I suggest that you call it "A Motocrosser's Guide to Kidwoo's Favorite Tahoe Dirt Jumps"?

I hear those guys love the guidebooks. BRAAAAP!
    Or would... if they didn't have so much trouble reading....

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    does anyone know if Squaw passholders get a discount on blackout days?
    Nothing like that on Squaw's website, which suggests a big nein.

You could always pop over to the other side of the ridge, where it'll be less of a fustercluck.
    not counting days 2016-17

I have never, ever used the phrase, "Got change for a nickle?" and never will. I've always thought and said 'here' that's it's stupid. I much prefer, "Hey my name is [insert REAL name here], how's it goin?". Why is it so hard to talk like normal people? And don't get me started on "change for a nickle" stickers....
    Imma gonna sticker up your roof box with Change for a Nickel stickers and Rainbow stickers because they mean the same thing.

GiBo - it rained today - snow snobs should stay home tomorrow
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

My name is KIIIIIIIDDDDDDD!!!!!

.... and you suck at volleyball!