Page 89 of 252 FirstFirst ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 6280
    Can anybody tell me what it's doing up at Squaw or Sugar Bowl right now? Worth hopping in the car to get some tomorrow?
    Man, skiing is the easy part.

"He does this, he says, because he can. I think there is a little more to it that that, however. I think he does it because he can, and you cannot." - PacRimRider1 about Leo Brayman

Quote Originally Posted by cmeriptahoe View Post
    Can anybody tell me what it's doing up at Squaw or Sugar Bowl right now? Worth hopping in the car to get some tomorrow?

Ten foot base - full open - 5-10" of new snow expected tonight - no, probably not worth it!

Alpine was fun today (and yesterday for that matter) until they essentially stopped spinning everything because of the wind at 3'ish. Plenty of soft snow in spots, follow the wind and ye shall be rewarded. Not that I expect that to be necessary tomorrow (2" already at the base).

Kirkwood tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by cmeriptahoe View Post
    http://video.dot.ca.gov/asx/d3-squaw-89.asx

you be the judge. I sure as hell know what I would be doing tommorow.
    "Slid into the cave where Rocky was waiting with the bong and the snowlerblades"

Squaw

Quote Originally Posted by guermo View Post
    Ten foot base - full open - 5-10" of new snow expected tonight - no, probably not worth it!
    Roll your dice. Saturday Xmas day at 7 am they said all lifts are open and Merry Christmas,what a great day for skiing. Silverado, etc. I get there these lifts are closed:

Granite
    Emmigrant
    Silverado
    Headwall
    Mainline Pocket CLOSED TO HIKING
    Palisades CLOSED TO HIKING
    Funnel CLOSED TO HIKING

CII started spinning some time late morning but I found out at about noonish.

It was pretty darn windy and the conditions were variable but mostly so so. North and West facing had some good chalk (under Siberia lift line,partially upper Chicken pole under Chimney, some of Northbowl and Garbage Chute) but most of the mountain was firm with wind-rift laden spine rattling conditions. But that was yesterday before the storm.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Sitting in FL, I may as well contribute something to this. Here is some November stoke that never made it to this thread or any other TRs. Sorry, all my photos were taken from my crappy point and shoot while my real camera was being repaired post-400 ft drop in Yosemite.

Enginerd just gets stupid deep at Kirkwood. Photo: UCL

Then Scralph literally disappears in said deepness. Photo: UCL

UCL getting some nice face shots coming out of Ski School Chute. Photo: Scralph Macchio

Enginerd trying the "high five" the same tree I was ("High Five" - credit to Skier666). Photo: Scralph Macchio

UCL getting into the blower. Photo: Scralph Macchio

Scralph somehow making boarding w/ a pole look like tele-skiing into Ski School Chute. Photo: Enginerd

And the finale, the answer to what happends when the air into Ski School Chute gets bomb-holed beyond recovery.....

The UCL air into a 3-foot deep hole to immediate face plant... at least the Dukes held Photo: Enginerd

waterhouse was pretty good today. not bottomless, but soft and fast. i was without a doubt the best skier on the mountain.
    booya!

Squaw's looking very good and not crowded at all, as of yet. As far as I can see, they opened Red Dog, Resort, KT, Funi right off the bat at 9. Visability is good and getting better. Watched the Fingers for the first 15 min and saw no action, disappointing, must be the holiday crowd. As for Silverado, I have heard nothing about it and last I saw they have not done any groomer or sign work down there.
    The commander of time

Quote Originally Posted by T-Boz View Post
    Squaw's looking very good and not crowded at all, as of yet. As far as I can see, they opened Red Dog, Resort, KT, Funi right off the bat at 9. Visability is good and getting better. Watched the Fingers for the first 15 min and saw no action, disappointing, must be the holiday crowd. As for Silverado, I have heard nothing about it and last I saw they have not done any groomer or sign work down there.
    ughh, sucks that pass is blacked-out until the 1st

anyone know what kind of deal (if any) Squaw will give pass holders for a day tix this week? I'm thinking if this storm on Tues/Wed delivers as advertised, might be worth paying for a day tix to ski pow on Wed or Thur.

Stoke from this past week. If you want to skip the hotel room tour and cut to the chase, jump to 4:15. I felt the need to document everything because I rarely take actual multiday trips without base camping in (Edit: SACramento) due to cost.

Clearly need to work on sticking landings, and finding bigger rocks. The latter is not possible at Heavenly.

Click image below for my first TR of the season...enjoy:

[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209578"][/ame]

Skied Jakes with Akbruin today and it was magnificent, knee deep and blowah for at least 1500ft. Way better than expected, thanks wind!
    Hello darkness my old friend

Kirkwood sleeper day today. Skied way deeper than the reported 4-6" and the mountain was buffed out and fast. Mountain was empty.

Quote Originally Posted by freshies View Post
    ughh, sucks that pass is blacked-out until the 1st

anyone know what kind of deal (if any) Squaw will give pass holders for a day tix this week? I'm thinking if this storm on Tues/Wed delivers as advertised, might be worth paying for a day tix to ski pow on Wed or Thur.
    I got a cheaper rate than the official 2 day pass (as a blacked out passholder)...the ticket girl felt sorry for me...mentioned that these "blackout days really suck".

I too hit W-house today...and was probably the best skier on the hill at that time as well. There was even a fat lady in a big puffy down coat snowshoeing behind her Dyanfit-clad husband. They fought on the way up and down--she had rental skis on her back and I think she may have just made a wrong turn on the way to Northstar.

The skintrack(s) are in truly absymal shape, even for the shit-show that is Waterhouse. Snowshoers, bootpackers, dogs, sidesteppers, the whole gamut! There are so many skin/slowshoe tracks that the damn hill is starting to get tracked out by uphill traffic.

If nothing else, ol' Powderhouse is always good for some entertainment. Here's hoping for some more snow.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    Skied Jakes with Akbruin today and it was magnificent, knee deep and blowah for at least 1500ft. Way better than expected, thanks wind!
    I can also confirm this. Was amazing on the west shore today. Didn't see another soul all day.

Yep. Jakes was sick. Oh, and props to whoever ever cut the steep-but-efficient main skin track.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Yep. Jakes was sick. Oh, and props to whoever ever cut the steep-but-efficient main skin track.
    You must be new in town

I'm about ready to start riding again. We should show up predawn at jakes one day and I'll carry a snowboard and boot pack up the existing skin track. This will be for your entertainment because I already know exactly what will happen. I'll bring some video cameras. I've been bored and that kind of thing would cheer me right up. If you're down, the reason will become apparent.

There is simply no other regularly laid skin track in tahoe that is that serious bidness. It's fucking hilarious.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Someday, perhaps step up the game and establish a skintrack up Jakes w/ zero switch backs? Could it be any steeperer?

ballllzz
    Last edited by BGnight; 01-15-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Bnight,
    Great vid man, felt like that was my vid! I ride the same SplitStick and that felt very familiar! We need to hook up some time man.

Rode Galena bowl today with my wife, then Rose Knob in the evening, really nice snow today!

Just want to post up a quick update on Darren. He was released from from Renown on Friday after almost four weeks in the hospital. Tomorrow He leaves for Vegas. He'll be in an eight week program that specializes in getting the most out of his brain after suffering the type of trauma he went through. I've gotten to spend time with him on three occasions and I can see both a physical and cocnitive(sp) improvement every time we visit. There is an account set up if you'd like to help with the many expenses he has while going through recovery.PM me for info and I'll get back to you as fast as I can. I'm also looking for License to Thrill, or any of the RAP films he skied in to play during the Party on New Years. To many moves in the military cost me my copies.
    That being said, think about Flight Insurance, Careflight or CALSTAR Its a deal. The job I have now sold me on helmets long before Darrens injury. Just something to think about.
    Don't make me come get you....

Quote Originally Posted by freshies View Post
    anyone know what kind of deal (if any) Squaw will give pass holders for a day tix this week?
    No deals, at-least when I asked last year when getting my pass. Alpine does offer a discount for blacked out passholders though, $58. Edit: Looks like Creeker may have coerced a deal.

As slim said, sleeper day at the Wood. Hardly anyone on the hill (How were the crowds at AM and Squaw?). Took them forever to open 4, but it did eventually open. Everything was skiing great except Thunder Saddle, which was like 10" of light snow on top of frozen avy debris or something.

Spent the first half of the day riding with he who snowboards with one pole. Who switched to skiing in the afternoon and is getting much better.

Ran into powerhound100 and stopepistes (sp?) in the lineup for 6. I apparently was a doppelganger for Ottime today as they thought I was him, as I was wearing a red jacket and was on my ON3P Wrens. Also ran into divegirl and LegoSkier at lunch. Nice to meet everyone.

OMG another POV video!!!!

today and a few weeks ago, drink it up.

Hello darkness my old friend

Damm BGnight that pow looked real nice!