Page 75 of 252 FirstFirst ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 6280
    Its pounding down sierra cement at Alpine right now.

Oh, and GNAR fucking killed it.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Raining in prosser right now. Hope it changes soon

Snowing at lake level @ Kings Beach. Has been all afternoon/evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Anyone else worried about snow stability during after this storm?
    Thank you to kona for posting a link to the Sierra Avalanche Center. Everyone who doesn't know that heavy snow with high winds on top of a weak layer (surface hoar) is a recipe for shit sandwich, all those ignorant of this basic concept should at least know to check the avalanche forecast.

I've seen some stupid, impossible-to-understand stability out here, but extreme weather means extreme danger. Would love for the whole "squish the surface hoar" theory to work out, but I'm not buying it. Why is the danger rating right now extreme? Because you have a recipe for widespread, massive avalanches that will run naturally.

Remember, the injury accident on Red Lake from Nov 28 was on a day they rated LOW with pockets of MODERATE. Be smart. If you don't know how to be smart, find someone to tell you how. or get a rabbit's foot.

It is WAR!
    US 50
    [IN THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
    IS CLOSED 1.5 MI WEST OF KYBURZ (EL DORADO CO) - DUE TO A ROCK SLIDE
    - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

IS CLOSED FROM TWIN BRIDGES TO MEYERS (EL DORADO CO) - DUE TO AVALANCHE
    CONTROL - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

CHAINS ARE REQUIRED ON ALL VEHICLES EXCEPT 4-WHEEL-DRIVE VEHICLES WITH SNOW
    TIRES ON ALL 4 WHEELS FROM 5 MI EAST OF KYBURZ TO MEYERS (EL DORADO CO)

Quote Originally Posted by ja_surf View Post
    Woke up at 4:00AM to find it still raining at my SLT county pad, even though it's snowing higher this is gonna be some heavy shit, the kinda of stuff that kill's ACL's.
    Yep. Rain in Incline at 6 a.m.

Still snowing at Alpine this morning. Looks like an additional 8" or so came down last night. Bombs should start going off in about 15 minutes. If you plan to come to Alpine today, I'd get your ass up the access road before 7:55am. If it slides across the road, its going to take a while to clear it.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Heard the bombs from the Keys!

...and that was just after the plow guy banged the shit out of the driveway at 4am. I might as well have had a newborn here.

Bombs started at KW about 30 minutes ago. Looks like it will be a slow go here this morning. Just by looking out on the deck, I'd say about a foot of cement at the base over night.

Now, how do I get out of here? Do I leave tonight or wait for day light on Sunday? Either way it will be a slow go.

Rain at my house. 1' foot in the driveway turned into tubes of dense icy slush coming out of my snowblower. I'm going high to Rose for the elevation. Beacon on!

Be careful: this snow is fraught with danger and is a radiologist's wet dream. I do not want you guys to contribute to my work volume. Be safe.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

14 inches of blower in my parking lot at squaw...
    Still waiting...

steady rain

There's a steady rain falling on the 10" or so of snow from yesteday here at ~5000 at the base of Job's peak.

As another CO refugee, I think we may be canceling our plans today. The nearly all-black avy forecast is something I never thought I'd see in CA...and it's scary. Pretty much every storm over 18" will give you that in SW CO where I learned to ski, but here?

We may go skiing, but even Powderhouse is not guaranteed to be safe today. Ski patrol will get to watch some good ones this morning!
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

AKA is offline These meaasge boards suck
    Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    There's a steady rain falling on the 10" or so of snow from yesteday here at ~5000 at the base of Job's peak.

As another CO refugee, I think we may be canceling our plans today. The nearly all-black avy forecast is something I never thought I'd see in CA...and it's scary. Pretty much every storm over 18" will give you that in SW CO where I learned to ski, but here?

We may go skiing, but even Powderhouse is not guaranteed to be safe today. Ski patrol will get to watch some good ones this morning!
    yeah but here that avy forecast will last only a day or two and then you'll never see it again.

it would be hard to imagine anything not sliding during the course of this cycle. but if something doesn't slide, how would we know? I'm assuming that by the end of this a pit would have to be well over 6 feet deep to reach the hoar layer.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    As another CO refugee, I think we may be canceling our plans today.
    i read the current forecast and anticipate a fun day of skiing.

that being said i don't do bc...
    Last edited by jahroy; 12-18-2010 at 12:05 PM.
    Still waiting...

Wednesday and Thursday were stellar days. Here's a little POV edit of Squaw.

way sweet. trippy angle from that pole-cam!

good to meet you yesterday.
    Still waiting...

Super gnarly wet heavy - 2.5 feet at my house in upper incline. HUGE slab avies - off my car, roof, trees etc. Lookout out there!!

5" total of mank in Meyers with nothing but rain and clear snow since yesterday afternoon. Have gone to wood on days like this, typically I haven't found it to be worthwhile.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Wednesday and Thursday were outstanding at kirkwood. yesterday was pretty good also, however I got a little drunk and didn't get much skiing done. I am so sore now I can barely move.

Back to the shit weather that is SLT
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

Was very unhorrible at Alpine yesterday. All chairs running except AB, got deeper as the day went on, no wind, hardly anyone on the mountain. Love days like that. Now I wait for things to hopefully reopen on Monday...
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Nice vid Gerome, thanks for the stoke. Good to meet you yesterday as well.

Rain-snain-sleet mix this morning at Squaw. The parking lot is a 7-11 Slurpee right now. Looks likes it trying to turn to snow now though. Essentially only Red Dog and Squaw Creek are spinning. Afternoon could be good if the temp drops.

Quote Originally Posted by marcusling View Post
    I saids months ago that if I didnt buy new powder boards, it would dump. I dont think the xxls can make another season. Cease and Decists look pretty sweet. I cant buy them because every time I buy powboards it just stops snowing. Must resist.
    ...and my new Bibbys just got mounted! Can't wait to try them out. The question is, when will I be able to make it through to the mountain and when will they be able to open good terrain?
    "Not so loud, huh kid? I was up all night doing a crossword puzzle."

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    ... Would love for the whole "squish the surface hoar" theory to work out, but I'm not buying it. ...
    With this much water content and mild temps, the consolidation will happen - just like most cycles around here. Hopefully people realize that is a time sensitive issue, and it won't be "safe" by tomorrow afternoon... I really don't think that layer will persist, but we'll see, who wants to dig a 6' pit with powdork next week!?!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

i don't think the surface hoar is as much of an issue as is the current upsidedownness of the pack. The hoar that was present at the spur thursday morning was baked off most aspects by noon.
    i doubt we will have any sort of lasting persistant instability from this especially given the amounts of snow should be enough to bridge just about everything once it settles a bit. time will tell.