Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TR: Iraqi Kurdistan

Great TR. Way to get off the beaten path.

I hope you'll post some photos from Syria as well. I travelled there for a few weeks in 2002, and it was amazing. Jordan is also great. Lebanon is kind of a trip.

this is awesome.

Great stuff. thanks for sharing.

interesting to hear how welcomed you were & how friendly all the locals were

Just when we got near the Turkish border gates a younger soldier saw us, pointed his rifle at us, yelled ''freeze! hands up!'
    I think my undies would be stained

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Truly awesome- one of the best things I have ever read, never mind on TGR. :rockon:
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

amazing....
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

HOF?

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    I think my undies would be stained
    He had a pretty big smile when he said it, so i only got the shit scared out of me for about a second. We'd heard horror stories about people being interrogated for over an hour by the turkish border officials, searching everything in their bags, etc. of course those were all single, male travellers so Im pretty sure the fact that Im a little blonde canadian girl helped us get through a bit easier

I am here to post in this historically awesome thread.
    not counting days 2016-17

wow! nice to see a different side of Iraq...thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Great TR. Way to get off the beaten path.

I hope you'll post some photos from Syria as well. I travelled there for a few weeks in 2002, and it was amazing. Jordan is also great. Lebanon is kind of a trip.
    Yeah Ill post some pics of syria up as well after that part of the trip. Itll be interesting to see whats changed since youve been there, probably a lot in 8 years.

In the final week of eastern Turkey. Ill post a few of my favorite pictures from here at the end of it, unfortunately Turkey seems to have it in for me, Ive had two seperate bouts of food poisoning (or something that makes my stomach do evil things) here so my travelling has been a bit patchy working around that.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    Truly awesome- one of the best things I have ever read, never mind on TGR. :rockon:
    x2, thanks for sharing.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

inspiring TR...worthy of Hall of Fame status as soon as it was posted

Good trip, next time before you go ask around on here when you are going places. You never know who is lurking on here and where they are at!! Might get some good info before you go.
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Just got into Aleppo late last night, crossing the border yesterday was a mission. The whole trip through eastern turkey has been during Ramadan, which (before I set out) I thought would be an interesting cultural experience. No, it's just a pain in the ass. Yestday was the first day of Seker Bayrami in turkey, the holiday at the end of ramadan (same holiday is today in Syria),so nearly everything was closed. I had the owner of my guesthouse phone ahead to double check that the border would be open, and as I was assured it was, I left for what I thought would be a simple, 3 hour trip to Aleppo.

After everything was over, it had taken 12 hours, and a combination of 7 minibuses, one big intercity coach, two legs of hitch hiking and one taxi to get to my hotel. Im setting up a blog online to make it easier to get photos out to people, so if anyone wants to have a look its at www.allisoncano.wordpress.com
    Last edited by *alli*; 09-10-2010 at 05:21 AM.

Awesome TR. I've always heard travelling around the "axis of evil" as an american or a canadian was actually pretty awesome. People are just stoked that you decided to come to their country and meet with them.
    "No avy training but I've watched K2 so many times I think I know what to look for." -JoeStrummer

I heard that part of Iraq was beautiful. Thanks for sharing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by *alli* View Post
    Just got into Aleppo late last night, crossing the border yesterday was a mission. The whole trip through eastern turkey has been during Ramadan, which (before I set out) I thought would be an interesting cultural experience. No, it's just a pain in the ass. Yestday was the first day of Seker Bayrami in turkey, the holiday at the end of ramadan (same holiday is today in Syria),so nearly everything was closed. I had the owner of my guesthouse phone ahead to double check that the border would be open, and as I was assured it was, I left for what I thought would be a simple, 3 hour trip to Aleppo.

After everything was over, it had taken 12 hours, and a combination of 7 minibuses, one big intercity coach, two legs of hitch hiking and one taxi to get to my hotel. Im setting up a blog online to make it easier to get photos out to people, so if anyone wants to have a look its at www.allisoncano.wordpress.com
    Bookmarked- very much looking fwd to it. Hope you write a book. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by quixotle View Post
    A couple of months backpacking through the tamest parts of the middle east? Makes for an interesting TR or blog but a book? Come on..
    thanks there, Captain Bringdown-

A couple of months backpacking through the tamest parts of the middle east? Makes for an interesting TR or blog but a book? Come on..
    Any part of Iraq =/= tamest part of the middle east. You really are an idiot aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by flyandski365 View Post
    Any part of Iraq =/= tamest part of the middle east. You really are an idiot aren't you?
    The fact that she is a white, blonde woman also adds to it.

The Kurdish north may as well be an entirely separate country from the rest of Iraq, especially the north west. I've lived in Beirut and Amman. Please, before you call people an idiot, at least know what you're talking about. The Kurds are very friendly and sympathetic towards westerners, probably as much as any other region in the middle east. There is violence in the mountains along the Turkish border but otherwise it's a safe area by middle eastern standards. The danger in traveling in the middle east (besides obvious war zones) is there are many areas where a large percentage of the local population is not at all fond of westerners, Kurdistan is not one of those places. Being a white blond woman traveling alone can present a whole host of problems in the middle east, but from her photos she appears to be traveling with one or more men, which makes all of those problems disappear. It's a great trip, one most people would never take, but to say she should write a book is idiotic. There are westerners who've spent years if not decades living in countries like Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc. who write books no one reads.
    Bitter? Party of one? Bitter? Party of one?

So when did your book come out?

Yeah you're definitely an idiot.
    tell me something I don't know.

Lighten up Francis.

I'm just waiting for Old Larry to write a book...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    I'm just waiting for Old Larry to write a book...
    I'm self publishing it actually. It's called "Who Moved My Loafers? or What I had for Lunch, 2003- 2010"

A coffee table book actually. With a hollowed out center with a sesh tray in the middle of it and a little spot for a lighter and a hokus pokus.