Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jayfrizzo View Post
    Pic from Burry's Break site.

Central Florida this AM

Sweet! Good size! Looks like FL is getting it good - I guess Reef Road will go? Up here, Nantucket buoy up to 8 ft at 14 sec, so swell is coming. We'll see how it filters into the Gulf of Maine.
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

This should get interesting soon.. Been bodyboarding the last few days, piss-warm water and fun

http://www.northeastsurfing.com/hullcam.htm
    http://www.morebeach.com/coast-guard-beach-cam.html
    http://www.thebeachcomber.com/beach/beachcam.htm

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    This should get interesting soon..
    Not kidding. Latest track models take it damn close to, if not over, the Cape.

- Owl Chapman

flat florida...ahhh shit, should've looked before posting pic (repeat)

check it here for updates: http://2ndlight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    check it here for updates: http://2ndlight.com
    The folks on the 2nd light forums are frothing.

Also surf-station.com will post tons of pics and video throughout the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Great, Thanks so much!

Is it worth going to lighthouse or Narragansett beach?
    I'd imagine Narragansett will have way to much water. If by lighthouse you mean Judith, by all means. I surfed triple overhead bombs there one storm years ago. Perhaps one of my three biggest days ever on the EC.

Pic from Burry's Break site.

Central Florida this AM

Um, I'd expect something of that sort at J or R in RI. Currently at Cat4 and it is supposed to get a bit stronger as it passes Hatteras before weakening. Just saying - bring a big board.

Now I'm not even gonna be able to get a couple hours of sleep after seeing those pics. sick!

Ott, I got a 7'4'' Gun
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Fun, waist - chest high waves at a local reef today, lined up nicely, light onshore winds. We'll see what Earl brings tomorrow.

- Owl Chapman

Last night was powerful but dumping at my break. Schedules meant I didn't get out there until 6 PM, which was just about high tide. This beach doesn't do as well at high tide, and last night was no exception. There was too much water over the bar, so waves didn't break until they were right over the flat bar top. (It's a lot better when the waves break on the seaward slope of the bar at a lower tide or bigger swell.) Waves were chest to shoulder. Sets were obvious, and well spaced. The swell had a lot more E in it than I had expected. The tide was high enough that the river draining the marsh was flowing over the tombolo eastward along the beach. This all conspired to produce a mega eastward rip, coupled with large closeouts. When I could get on the shoulder it was fast and fun. Otherwise rides were mostly short and explosive.

The water is warm. For the first time at this beach, I saw jellyfish and picked up a few minor stings. The sturgeon continue to bust furiously just beyond the break.

Sorry no pics yet. After I secure the garden trellising tonight, I may head down to the beach -- presumably to spectate.

Was super fun this AM. First light was bigger than yesterday evening with the NE swell. Overhead sets. I'm out of shape.

View from the "office" window right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Sets were obvious, and well spaced. The swell had a lot more E in it than I had expected.
    Charts and buoys are showing a lot of long period (14-18+ sec) aspect to this swell. I imagine the swells are wrapping off of the Cape, and hence the E direction. Sick.

Winds are all wrong here right now, south, which is messing things up. Tomorrow should be NW, but strong, which should make quite a few places light up nicely.

- Owl Chapman

^^^^ Um, the O rivermouth. The cliffs heading out to Perkins do a good job of shifting the wind to be SW.... unless there is a too much E in the S wind.

And SS. Screw the Blackball. Are they really gonna come out in the bone crushing wedge to fish you out. It used to be a $15 ticket, and twice it was well worth it.

Be creative. My favorite thing about ME surfing is every wind is an off shore when the swell is big enough.

Got in a couple hours (10-12pm) of surf at Judith point this morning, definitely the biggest waves I've ever caught, Then I snapped my leash in half I had to swim in as fast as possible to fetch my board before it got FUBAR'd on the rocks, she survived with some small cracks and dents, but held up OK.
    By the time I ran to a surf shop and got a new leash the winds had changed and picked up.
    get paid

wall...building

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Then I snapped my leash in half .
    I should have mentioned that possibility. I've had that happen at least twice out there. Way to go get 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    ^^^^ Um, the O rivermouth. The cliffs heading out to Perkins do a good job of shifting the wind to be SW.... unless there is a too much E in the S wind.

And SS. Screw the Blackball. Are they really gonna come out in the bone crushing wedge to fish you out. It used to be a $15 ticket, and twice it was well worth it.
    I hear ya, just talking about local conditions....and I'm being lazy and waiting instead of chasing around today!

- Owl Chapman

goat you wait all year for epic swell and when it arrives you dont have an extra 20$ leash in you ride? same shit happened to me in panama on a shallow reef and we had been dropped off by boat. had to paddle back to skiff and wait while my buddies killed it for a few more hours...im leaving fernie heading east to nantucket be good to get home and get in the water with my boys. any mags make it to the island this fall let me know..

Quote Originally Posted by big mike View Post
    goat you wait all year for epic swell and when it arrives you dont have an extra 20$ leash in you ride?
    Live and learn, I didn't know they broke so easy, what leashes hold up best? anything with spectraline in it or something?

slept in the back cab of my truck last night, it was almost comfortable, at least I'm not gonna sleep in Hurricane weather never got that bad here and the storm was gone by about 3am. gonna surf down here this morning and afternoon then depending on how it holds up, I'm gonna swing up to Nh/ME and hit that tonite,/tomorrow

have fun guys, go get it!
    get paid

THIS MORNING..........

hit a lovely high tide beach break this morning that surfs like a point break. very few folks out and both lefts and rights holding up really well with an easy paddle out. overhead sets were plentiful. hopefully still somethin with some push in the a.m.

rog

Maine was cranking this am; sets were definitely in the well overhead to almost DOH range. Still good, but winds switching SW, which are fine still for other locations.

- Owl Chapman

Any leash over a year old is suspect, especially if it gets left out in the sun.

Panama? Were you at that Morman run camp? Small break in front of camp, a point, a rivermouth and an island. We got that island real good one day for about two hours with ten foot faces. Epic. Otherwise, the whole place required having plenty of rum

goat where are u based R.I.? i remember that the standard leashes are pretty skinny you can get ones that are a little more beefy, thicker rubber. also keep an eye on the little loop of string that the leash attaches to on the board as this can be a weak point after a few seasons. my buddy lives north of portland by reid state park hope hes getting some good ones. you ever hit the cape...? ive had some good days up by wellfleet.

ya that sounds right. morro negrito... was there a few years ago not much swell but some fun days by the rivermouth. def good to have some rum and cokes. problem is there is a massive island farther out that blocks a lot of swell, when i go back to central america im going back to el sal, super cheap and all right hand point breaks. scored a good day ant punta roca in la libertad. just be respectful of the locals...