Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?

Wood Fired Pizza Oven

I would love to put one of these in the backyard:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...rick-Pizza-Ov/

Seems like a great idea, but you know how that can sometimes lead to disaster. Would you do it or not? What considerations would you have regarding placement and safety? It has to be able to get and stay really hot to be worth the effort.

Pizza recipes also welcome.

Thx.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

A Big Green Egg is a decent alternative. They're certainly not a direct replacement, but they're cheaper, smaller and more versatile and they can get plenty hot and stay that way.

Check out Jeff Verasano's site for info on good pie.

Done it. No down side. Gets real hot inside, but the outside is just warm to the touch, so no real concerns. Also great for things other than pizza. Roast a chicken in the oven, stick it in a 800 degree oven to finish and crisp up. Baking bread is sweet- start bread as the oven heats, it'll bake at four or five hundred and finish at seven or eight hundred making it perfect and crusty.

Totally worthwhile. Easier than it looks. Don't get too hung up on the numerous designs and the arguments for and against each. Just build a little box with a stack on top and an opening just big enough to slide a pizza through and it'll work fine.

bklyn, don't be scared. You can make one, just roll up the sleeves. I'd say make it low to conserve materials and heat. If you need a basic frame made out of metal, let me know. Best 'o luck!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Pizza Hacker's Weber mod is another option http://thepizzahacker.com/
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    If you really want something like that, and don't want to build it from scratch, locate some restaurant and food service supply wholesalers/dealers who deal in used equipment.

In major metro areas restaurants are always going in and out of business, and many of these equipment suppliers also deal in used equipment. I know a guy who built a kitchen for himself that looks like it's out of a cooking show set, and he did it all via buying used restaurant and food service equipment. I've helped him move some heavy things, and it's amazing the stuff he finds.

Mostly these dealers sell unitized equipment, like ovens, food warmers, freezers, potato peelers. But ask around and they might know of some place that wants to get rid of a brick oven.

That second picture looks like exactly that, someone found one, took it apart and is transporting the pieces to a new location. Notice that some of the blocks have one side that is blackened. And that metal frame looks like it's been used.

ok, but don't you have a perfectly good kitchen?
    Is there not enough smokey air pollution around your parts?

...and it's basically just cheese on bread, innit? Wot, no takeout near you?
    Arizmendi Bakery's Gourmet Pizza Menu
    August 2010
    1 mixed summer squash, goat cheese, garlic oil, fresh basil and parsley
    3 mixed bell peppers, fresh corn, feta cheese, garlic oil, p&p
    4 spinach, roasted garlic, green olives, lemon and thyme oil, p&p5
    5 shiitake and crimini mushrooms, bok choy, sesame-ginger-garlic vinaigrette
    6 early girl tomatoes, gorgonzola cheese, balsamic vinaigrette
    7 marinated artichoke hearts, spinach, lemon and thyme oil, p&p
    8 house-made tomato sauce, Point Reyes Blue cheese, garlic oil, p&p
    10 pasilla peppers, sweet onions, cilantro pesto
    11 caramelized onions, spinach, gorgonzola cheese, garlic oil, p&p
    12 spinach, kalamata olives, feta cheese, garlic oil, p&p
    13 house-made tomato sauce, portabella mushrooms, spinach, garlic-basil oil
    14 shiitake, portabella and button mushrooms, sesame-ginger-garlic vinaigrette
    15 tomatoes, feta cheese, garlic and thyme oil, p&p
    17 mixed summer squash, red onions, feta cheese, basil pesto
    18 brandywine and roma tomatoes, garlic oil, fresh basil, parmesan
    19 crimini and button mushrooms, vella dry jack cheese, garlic and basil oil, p&p
    20 house-made tomato sauce, gorgonzola cheese, garlic oil, p&p
    21 heirloom purple cherokee and roma tomatoes, balsamic vinaigrette, p&p
    22 button mushrooms, goat cheese, basil pesto
    24 heirloom purple cherokee and roma tomatoes, fontina cheese, basil pesto
    25 roasted yukon gold and yellow finn potatoes, spinach, Cabot white cheddar cheese, garlic oil, chives and parsley
    26 tomatoes, goat cheese, basil oil, p&p
    27 artichoke hearts, spinach, feta cheese, lemon and thyme oil, Italian parsley
    28 house-made tomato sauce, gorgonzola cheese, garlic oil, p&p
    29 shiitake, portabella and button mushrooms, sesame-ginger-garlic vinaigrette
    31 early girl tomatoes, feta cheese, garlic-thyme oil, p&p

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

I think it's a cool idea but wouldn't use those plans. Here's some for an adobe one

http://www.sunset.com/garden/backyar...0400000040376/

I wonder if you could make one like that that you could switch to a smoker when you weren't firing pizzas. That'd be cool.

There's a guy on the other ski forum selling one for cheap. Not wood fired though.
    You know, you can swear on this site. Fuck, shit bitch. See?

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by teletripper View Post
    There's a guy on the other ski forum selling one for cheap. Not wood fired though.
    That's impressive for a teenager off of newschoolers
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Get out of this thread.

bklyn, lots of good wood fired backyard ovens on slice.seriouseats.com

I will build one when we are at the right place for sure.

I've thought about these before, but always figured that it would take hours and hours to get the stone/bricks up to temperature, so it's something you wouldn't use very often. Yes? No? I like the Big Green Egg compromise myself - seems like it does the job (esp. if you put a pizza stone in there), but can also do a variety of other things.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

no input on the backyard oven, but here's a good crust recipe, and the sauce recipe is very good as well
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

ok, but don't you have a perfectly good kitchen?
    Do you have a pizza oven in your kitchen?

Is there not enough smokey air pollution around your parts?
    What about the pollution created to generate the electricity you use in aforementioned kitchen that may or may not have a pizza oven?

Seriously? I suggest suicide for the good of the gene pool. Learn to spell too. Moran.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by brice618 View Post
    I wonder if you could make one like that that you could switch to a smoker when you weren't firing pizzas. That'd be cool.
    Yes you can- I have plans to build one with a smoker box attached. I am also putting a network of bent tubing throughout the chimney too. I am going to use it to heat my pool to get it ready for use quicker in the spring. This will also be used as a firepit when not grilling.

http://www.flatbreadcompany.com/2007Directions.htm

this co. uses little adobe style ovens. they also have one on the back of a little trailer for off-site music events, etc. pizza is so good, check one out if you live close by. guy who owns it is a old school big wave surfer and he continues to add new shops all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    I've thought about these before, but always figured that it would take hours and hours to get the stone/bricks up to temperature, so it's something you wouldn't use very often.
    well, that and the fact that I think it is illegal here.

Which brings up whether bklyn has looked into (or cares) if it is legal where she is.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

Which brings up whether bklyn has looked into (or cares) if it is legal where she is.
    Burn ban? Or is there an embargo on flavor in your town??

Aaaaand...Powder is pretty much the same thing as groomers. I mean, it's all just snow, right?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I've now decided its time to eat "cheese on bread" for lunch today. Innit a good idea?

/channeling Turxski with a hint of Old Larry style irrelevance to any one else's life

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Aaaaand...Powder is pretty much the same thing as groomers. I mean, it's all just snow, right?
    Yugo = Masseratti.

Phyllis Diller = Jennifer Anniston
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

Searching municode but I'm not sure what to look for it under. It's probably illegal, which is why I was hoping for something that could be taken down easily. I'm missing the comforts of home, and looking to recreate it, but ultimately, this may not be the way. I'll probably end up modding an old charcoal grill or scanning for a used egg this fall. Where's the frigging schmaltz in this town, dammit?

Thanks for all the advice and the pizza guy's recipes. I think you posted that in another thread before, Bags, I looked for it and couldn't find it.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Bklyn - you live in the greatest pizza city in the world. The backyard pizza over seems like a bit of overkill, no?
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    Burn ban? Or is there an embargo on flavor in your town??
    I believe open fires are prohibited here (though of course with exceptions for charcoal grills). I know that in one store they have a sign by the chimineas that they can't be used within city limits.

We haz a flavor.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy