Thread: valles caldera

valles caldera

Anyone fished there? I just booked a spur of the moment weekend trip to Albuquerque and started googling around and came across the Valles Caldera website.

Looks like the East Jemez is "booked" but there are slots open on San Antonio Creek. I'm not sure how I feel about the concept of "reserved fishing" but I'm intrigued with the pictures and enjoy small streams, so I might give it a whirl.

Any feedback?

Go for it. If you like small streams, the area is incredibly scenic. The fish are spooky and frankly, there is probably better fishing in the Jemez - but you aren't going to find that in a one day trip!!

The area (Jemez) gets crowded and there is a lot of pressure throughout - therefore the reserved thing is not so bad. You can also reasonably expect to see elk, hawks, and who knows what else. Be very prepared for rain - major thunderstorms can drop in on the San Antonio without much warning. The rain isn't as much of a problem as the lighting!!

The caldera is beautiful - it won't disappoint you. Be aware the fishing is a meadowy stream, the water will likely be very low, and if you really want to catch a bunch of fish, you probably will have to crawl up to the edges and dink your fly over, or drift a dry downstream quite a ways. Casting will probably spook every fish in a run, or if they see you at all. Of course, they may throw themselves at a #12 Stimulator all day long, but it's unlikely. Let me know if you have any other questions - I live in ABQ and grew up in Los Alamos, so I know the area well!

Recent report:

Jemez Area Streams - August 23rd, 2010

Recorded: 77 ° F Fishing: Great Good reports from the Caldera. Three weights are best and tiny patch adams and ants. Good time to work on your blind game, gauging your cast lengths, looking for subtleties to indicate strikes. Terrestrials are still the ticket, though what fish up there won't sucker for a well-presented bug?