Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    in case anyone is looking, a really good case for the s95 is the case logic tbc-301, fits perfectly, no bulk. also the 302 with a memory card pocket

Quote Originally Posted by japollner View Post
    I'm in a conundrum. I have a camera that qualifies for the Canon loyalty program which led me to look at the s90 as the sidearm to my 7d. However, with the s95 out there, and its 720p 24fps video...

...Torn.
    Which camera qualifies you for the S90? I'm thinking of calling them up.

Little vid I made for work using the S95:

[ame="http://vimeo.com/15335005"]Caffé Vita at Pike Place Artisan Food Fest on Vimeo[/ame]
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Quote Originally Posted by bossass View Post
    Pretty good, thanks.

I am looking to upgrade from my G9 (translation: buy a new toy) so I appreciate the demo.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Which camera qualifies you for the S90? I'm thinking of calling them up.
    I called the other day and they said the s90 was not being offered as a loyalty trade-in yet
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

Grabbed an S95 and headed out the door with a half charged battery to Glacier NP

The camera is fairly intuitive, though I managed to mess up a few things (e.g., change ISO instead of shutter speed, etc.). The dial is pretty sweet and a quick read through the manual should be really helpful. Camera is no bigger than a wallet loaded up for a night on the town.

A few photos from the trip, all taken on the fly. Mostly in harsh mid-day light.

Checked out the digital zoom after walking within 30' of these two, then grabbing my wife and all the foodstuff as we were making dinner about 100' away, upwind. It took about an hour before we could get them to leave.

Look forward to learning this little camera more, great addition to the quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by bossass View Post

bossass- can it zoom?

^^^ looks like it can zoom digitally but not optically:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...6107505&page=1
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Bought an LX5.

First impressions:

It feels solid, well built, and begging to be used.

I have medium to large hands and have no trouble holding the camera and using the controls.

Lens cap irked me at first but after a couple of days I don't mind it as much as I thought I would.

It's not as pocket-able as the s95 due to the lens protrusion.

The aspect ratio options are very accessible and far more likely to be used than they would be if you had to go into the menu to access them.

The screen on the back is better quality than the monitor on my PC. Images tend to appear a little underexposed with lower contrast when viewed on my PC as compared to being viewed in camera.

The dedicated video record button is well placed.

The menu is easy to use and will be familiar to anyone who is used to using an SLR.

Auto iso with iso limiter options is a nice feature that I will be using a lot.

Love having a 24mm lens, love having a bright f/2 lens.

Macro is cool

jpeg straight from camera, resized for the web. EXIF is intact if anyone is interested.

jpgs tend to be a little 'punchy' straight from the camera. going to need to reduce the settings a little.

Silky pix(Panasonic's RAW developer) sucks. ACR needs to hurry up and support the LX5.

If anybody has any questions about the camera or want to see pictures with specific settings, I'm happy to provide what I can.
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

I am looking for a compact camera that I can take skiing and mountainbiking -- I already have access to DSLRs for good conditions, but occasionally I don't like carrying them around with me. In past I have owned a Canon Powershot A620 that had an optical viewfinder and continuous shooting of 1.9 fps.

For the past 18 months I've been searching for a similar camera, but was dismayed to see that they either did not have an optical viewfinder or had low fps.

I am concerned that the S95 at 0.7 fps and without an optical viewfinder is a bit useless for this purpose. Hence, I was intrigued by its bigger brother the Powershot G11 or G12 which has an optical viewfinder and at least 1.1 fps (still not great, but ok I guess).

The Lumix LX-5 might be another interesting choice as it is listed at 2.5 fps (yeah!), but it's said to be limited to 5 shots maximum (boo! -- How long do I have to wait between bursts?). Furthermore, it's not clear how useful and expensive that optional (optical? electronic?) viewfinder is. So it's definitely an improvement over the S95, but maybe I should just go with the Powershot G12?

Any thoughts are much appreciated!
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Actually, it seems that under normal conditions the new G12 has 2 fps rather than 1.1 fps on the G11 so I might be golden.

Any thoughts?

Hugh Conway Guest
    The G-series are still big cameras

Bought the G12. Hope it's as good as everyone says.

2fps vs 1fps is meaningless, its never going to be the difference between you nailing the shot and you missing it because both cameras have huge shutter lag making any action shot a crapshoot. you're not going to spray and pray at 2fps and you're also not going to shoot an action sequence at 2fps anymore than you would at 1fps. point is all of these p&s's are horrible for action. the viewfinder is shit, useless, the lcd works fine even in sunny conditions. your eyes see the scene afterall, the lcd is plenty bright for framing.. imo the s95 is infinitely superior to the g12 for one reason, it fits in your pocket. it has the same sensor and 99.9% of the features of the g12, but the most important one is that it will never get left behind on your desk.

edit: whoops, didn't scroll down to see you bought a g12 in the end
    Last edited by grapedrink; 10-14-2010 at 08:13 AM.

I had an LX3. Just picked up a LX5. The ergonomics of the LX5 are better, particularly when wearing gloves. The wheel on the LX5 is so much better than the joystick for exposure compensation. I'm really liking the additional zoom too.

I was tempted by the S95 because of the size. The S95 is so much smaller. However, I just couldn't give up that fast Leica lens.

I am thinking about picking up one of these two also (S95 or LX5). I know that they aren't ideal for action shots but which one would have less shutter lag. Since it will be my ski/hiking camera this is somewhat important.

Also, regarding size... It seems like the S95 would fit fine in just about any pocket. How about the LX5, would it fit inside a jacket pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by erlau View Post
    I am thinking about picking up one of these two also (S95 or LX5). I know that they aren't ideal for action shots but which one would have less shutter lag. Since it will be my ski/hiking camera this is somewhat important.

Also, regarding size... It seems like the S95 would fit fine in just about any pocket. How about the LX5, would it fit inside a jacket pocket?
    LX5 doesn't have much shutter lag. Can't speak to S95

LX5 fits nicely into most jacket pockets. I keep it in the chest pocket of my Patagonia Houdini jacket, which has a smaller pocket than most. I use the Optech neoprene "micro" case for it, which doesn't add much bulk (still fits in my houdini pocket) but gives it good protection. This is the best case solution I've found, after using several different types of cases.

S90 has virtually zero shutter lag as long as it's pre-focused, which you're probably going to have to do anyways if you're using it for skiing.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Any more thoughts/updates on these 2 now that people have had a few more months to play with them (and use them in ski season!)

Anyone know where you can buy a S95 ~$400? Looked around today and they're back ordered everywhere.
    Last edited by sfotex; 01-12-2011 at 11:44 PM.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.