Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude

I went Gliding in VT this past weekend. It is RAD!

Went gliding out of Warren, VT over the Mad River Valley this past weekend and holy crap is it facking cool! Last year I took a helicopter ride over Newport, RI and I can say with 100% certainty that gliding is way cooler than being in a helicopter! Each 15 minute session, which was really closer to about 25 minutes, cost $95 and is soooo worth it. We got great views of the valley, really cool views of Sugarbush and Sugarbush North. Frickin amazing to just be gliding along with no engine and only the sound of the the wind coming in through a tiny window in the cockpit.

It's bumpy, it's beautiful, it's scary and fun. Definitely give it a try if you get the opportunity!

Take off video: (you don't hear it but it freaked me out when the pilot released the cable from the tow plane without warning me first. considering it was my first glider ride I had no idea what to expect!)

Quick shot of Sugarbush from 3500 feet:

This one I started filming a bit late, but the pilot is taking the glider into a stall where the nose is pointed almost straight up, the glider stops and then the nose dips and you drop maybe 300 feet or so and it starts gliding again. Facking INCREDIBLE rush! It felt like the moment just before you drop a sizeable cornice or cliff and are a bit freaked out but jazzed on adrenaline.

and finally a sweet video of my friends soaring like eagles:

I also just want to say that when I sat down in the cockpit (you sit up front with the pilot behind you) I got a laugh out of the pilot and the kid helping when I said "Talk to me Goose." Apparently nobody had ever said that to them before which I found odd.

Get your glide on fools!!!
    thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

That looks fun as hell.

Any details on the place you did this? Open to the public operation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Like.

Gliding is rad. I have only been a few times but it's on my list of things to do more. Vimeo and Youtube are full of cool HD vids shot from the cockpit of a sailplane.

http://vimeo.com/channels/backcountrypilot#1349369

Thanks for the inspiration. Looks very cool and definitely on my bucket list... especially since we are twenty minutes from the place!

Was it difficult/distracting to video or no problem?

Also... why would you call the pilot "Goose"?! Is that from "Meet the Parents"?
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

I just called ahead and spoke with Gail at 1-802-496-2290

http://www.sugarbushsoaring.org/index.html

It's open to the public and super super sweet. It's off route 100 in Warren just before the big, old green bridge and then maybe a mile or so up a dirt road.

The video wasn't that distracting because most of the time I was just holding the camera up and looking in other directions to watch the view.

I called the pilot "Goose" even though he was sitting behind me. So while technically I would have been Maverick and he would have been Goose...it....you know what....it was funny at the time. Let it go.

If any of you go to Sugarbush Soaring, be sure to say what's up to the young buck Parker. He works there for lessons, is maybe 12 years old and totally comes off as an adult, it's actually quite amusing and I'm sure he'll get TONS of tail in a few years based on his confidence level. The other young dude there, AJ was telling me he rips on tele's and loves moguls. Got to love that a kid from a kid who is 13.

Definitely, with out a doubt, if you think you might want to go gliding; do it. Don't hesitate, it's worth the money and is an incredible life experience!

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

Vinz, I was pushing your leg, but thx.

I bet they're already booked for the fall, but I am going to look into it. No way my wife would ever do it, though! But my 12yo daughter says she'll do it if Parker is there...
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Yes, its awesome.

There is an absolutly excellent place outside of phoenix in a little town called estrella that I used to visit to fly sailplanes. Great instruction, not much other traffic, awesome soaring.

Its a great way to learn, anyone thinking of getting a powered license should seriously consider flying sailplanes first.

Downright cheap by aviation standards too.

You know what kind of bird you were in? Its been a while since I've soared and dont recognize the cockpits any more.

I wish I'd done it a bit more. I was pretty much ready to solo a couple times, I had at few flights where the instructor never touched the controls and never gave any advice, so I could have soloed, I guess, but didnt feel 100% comfortable, and didnt have the time/money to pursue it further. Kind of wish I did. Someday I'll get back into it./
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    I bet they're already booked for the fall, but I am going to look into it.
    nah, I called Saturday morning after reading something in the Valley Reporter and was up in the air 3 hours later. Call Gail! I bet you can get a flight in and your kid will love it!

Next time you're up, ask the pilot to pop the canopy and hang out over the side for that outdoors fresh feeling.
    I love gliding!

Dumpy... did this years ago at Harris Hill. It was pretty awesome.
    http://www.harrishillsoaring.org/

pretty close by... it's in elmira

Yeah, it has to be just about the best form of flight. I haven't been in a balloon or paraglider, but have flown in a lot of other types or aircraft, and gliders have to be the coolest.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I haven't tried it... but hang gliding looks cooler.

If one of yous is coming from another direction, there's also soaring to be had at Stowe and Franconia.

Go for a ride!

Better yet, sign up and get your license!

have done both hot air ballon and glider. both are highly recomended, with the glider being superior. there is an awsome airport 5 minutes from the house with several glider companies. take you up for roughly an hour ride for $100. tow plane releases right over heavenly ski resort, beautiful views of lake tahoe and the carson valley. piolts will even let you take the stick for a little if your so inclined.

I went up in a glider in Telluride about 5 years ago. It was great. He didn't need a tow plane. His glider had an engine. Once he got to altitude he cut the engine and the propeller folded up into the nose. If he wanted to get higher he could restart the engine. I don't know if he's still in Telluride but call the airport and ask for Glider Bob.

Coming back to the airport.

you can glide up in morrisville at the airport there. Flying around Mt. Mansfield was fun as hell. Got to do some zero G dives and tail whips. tons of fun
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    you can glide up in morrisville at the airport there. Flying around Mt. Mansfield was fun as hell. Got to do some zero G dives and tail whips. tons of fun
    What is a tail whip? I think I have an idea and I'm sure I can google it but that's not really how I do things.

Sweet I pass this place so much yet I have never done it. Looks so fun.

Same here - have driven by the sign probably a bajilion times in my life....never stopped in....

is it me or is there an alpine Slide at the Bush in the 2nd vid?? Or just a workroad? (Havent been to the Bush in 4-5 years)

PS I miss the Warren Store.