HALP! Tech question- domain names etc

Hi, there.

So, I am trying to help someone set up a skiing related website (to make it look pretty for them), and they already have their domain name purchased, but haven't purchased hosting for it. They like wordpress and want to be able to use wordpress (or a similar interface that helps you post new blog posts in a news-like fashion, as well as allowing you to have multiple static pages,) and have no idea how to start.

Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks

jgb@etree Guest
    Build / rent a server.

Install & configure wordpress (http://wordpress.org/download/)

Create DNS zone file with host records for domain.com & www.domain.com to point to the server.

Done.

jgb@etree Guest
    Oh, I almost forgot....

TECH TALK, JONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

(feels good to pop the cherry and finally JONG someone)

^^well I think I'm retarded because I still haven't figured that out. I uploaded the wordpress stuff with an FTP thing and I can't seem to run the install script...yuck!

Yes, you are retarded. Choose a host that will enable you to install wordpress with a single click of the button. You login to the cpanel and click on Fantastico and there you will see wordpress. I like www.rochenhost.com

make sure you are hosted on a linux server.

http://just-ask-kim.com/godaddy-word...cking-backups/

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Hoar View Post
    Yes, you are retarded. Choose a host that will enable you to install wordpress with a single click of the button. You login to the cpanel and click on Fantastico and there you will see wordpress. I like www.rochenhost.com
    Thanks! I figured it out!

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    make sure you are hosted on a linux server.

http://just-ask-kim.com/godaddy-word...cking-backups/
    hmmmmm

good advice

bump...now that we've established that i am indeed tech-retarded, does anyone know of a good place to outsource php code to? I have wireframes drawn up, very good understanding of how we want each element to work in WP, PSD mock-ups, etc....but no ability to code or move files around, as evidenced by the above. We're a nonprofit with no $$, so cheaper= better.

Someone said send it to India...

p.s. if it's really such a huge issue that this is in ski/sb i will start a new thread in tt.

if you don't have much cash check out www.woothemes.com. Good place to start you can modify to your needs.. but the basic framework is there for you.